PDA

View Full Version : Differences between 14.1 and 9-ball

04-30-2002, 06:54 PM
I posted last week regarding how I did not think slop should be allowed in 9-ball. I saw more than one response suggesting that I play 14.1 instead. (I do play 14.1, by the way.)

The differences between 14.1 and 9-ball go far beyond whether or not shots must be called. Even putting aside that difference, they are vastly different games.

The shots in 9-ball tend to be more difficult to pocket, and require the cueball to move greater distances for shape on the next ball. And the area of shape to land the cue ball in is often relatively large.

In contrast, 14.1 more often presents shots that are easier to make, and require the cue-ball to be moved a much shorter distance for shape on the next ball. However, the position for shape on the next ball is usually significantly smaller than in 9-ball. It often is no more than a few inches across.

Because of these differences, many players, myself included, typically use a shorter stroke in 14.1 than in 9-ball. The game usually requires less forceful strokes and a lighter touch than in 9-ball.

And of course, the safety games are vastly different, due to there only being one legal object ball to be contacted first on each shot in 9-ball.

I just wanted to explain why I thought "play 14.1" was not a useful suggestion. The differences go far beyond whether or not shots have to be called.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-01-2002, 05:32 PM
Mike,
You are correct about your stated differences. To add even more to your statement.. 90% of 14.1 is played in a 4 by 4 square.. half of the 9 foot table.

There is less of a requirement for the extreme shape english than nine ball too..

But, there is a lot more strategy, safety play and grind out playing in 14.1 than any 9 ball game.

Being lucky in 14.1 is not having to play Mosconi..

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 05:39 PM
Good evening:

On a side note, as a means of improving my 9 Ball game, my coach recommended that I learn and play 14.1 on a regular basis.

Dr. D.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-01-2002, 05:47 PM
Not only you 9 ball game will improve, but your 8 ball game stategy will get better..

14.1 is about table management.. clusters, trouble balls and pocket path clearence. All of these will help your 8 and 9 ball games..

CarolNYC
05-02-2002, 03:03 AM
Hi Mike,
When I started playing 14.1, it totally threw my 9-ball game off- now,instead of being able to see only 4-5 balls to run, i can see all 9 balls and where there going-yes it is a much more FINESSE game,but it is also cueball control! That to me is very important-you do not have to hit hard to make that cueball go where you want it to-just using the proper english!It amazes me to see someone consistently run rack after rack and get the keyball to the breakshot each and every time-running 100 balls or more I think is nice,but to each his own! Good luck!
Carol~loves 14.1 better than 9-ball!Still looking for keyball to keyball to breakshot!:)

Rod
05-02-2002, 03:41 AM
Carol, From playing 14-1 for some years it can throw my 9 ball game off at times because I try to play to perfect position. As with all games I need to remember that the angle might or can be more important than how close I get to the next shot.

CarolNYC
05-02-2002, 04:46 AM
Hi Rod,
Your absolutely correct, I find Im trying to get too perfect position when I should just be getting in the area of the ball-I feel 9-ball players have to be shot makers-and not to burst my bubble, but thats what I am-a shot maker,but 14.1 has taught me that finesse! Thanks Rod!
carol

CarolNYC
05-02-2002, 04:49 AM
Hi again Rod,
Actually, the game i would be most interested inis BILLIARDS!
Carol /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

05-02-2002, 11:03 AM
One of my coaches (whose all-time high run in straight Pool is over 300, and his all-time consecutive racks in 9-ball is 8 on a 9-foot Gold Crown) credits 14.1 for helping his 9-ball game. Because of being in the habit of achieving very precise position. That's the main reason I play 14.1, although I do play 9-ball and 10-ball much more often.

05-02-2002, 11:10 AM
Actually, I disagree with what you say about 9-ball position. As I stated in another post in this thread, one of my best friends/coaches gives some of the credit for his 9-ball success to 14.1. To play 9-ball at a really high level (talking world championship level here, like being able to string 7 racks on a 9-foot table under big pressure), the cueball placement often does have to be much more exact than most amateur players would typically believe. It still is different than 14.1, as the position area is still bigger (in 9-ball), and the stroke and action on the cueball are different, because of the greater distance being travelled.

But to play at a world class level, you'd be surprised at how small of an area some of the world's best pro's are aiming for sometimes in 9-ball.

Rod
05-03-2002, 02:06 AM
Billiards is a great game Carol. I'm not very good at the game, but I usually get real close if do miss. Just like any game you have to play it a lot. I'll tell you a game that you can learn a lot from playing is Golf. Its usually played on a 12 footer, but even a 10' table is ok. 2 an 3 rail shots are commom and up to 5 rails is not uncommon. It can be played on a 9' table but then it turns into a run out game. It has all the features of multiple rails, plus you pocket balls. Try it sometime.

05-03-2002, 03:28 PM

Rod
05-03-2002, 06:52 PM
Ray, the rules change depending what room or town your in. As a gambling game it's played for a set amount on the game and hickeys when you don't hit your ball, or fouls are aditional. For instance a common game is played for $10 on the game and $1 per foul. The object is to make your ball in every pocket in a clockwise motion. The first pocket is at the head of the table on the right side. It can be played counter clockwise to the pocket on the left. In either case the out hole or finishing hole is one of the side pockets, depending on which direction you play.
Your ball starts on the foot spot and the cueball is placed anywhere in the D. Any c/b scratches are shot from inside the D. You can shoot your ball in if it's in front of the first or second pocket, but not in the D. There is no headstring on a snooker table. If you fail to hit your ball that's a hickey. If you can see your ball and fail to hit it, it comes off the table and gets re-spotted on the foot spot when it's your turn at the table. If you make your ball in the wrong pocket that's a hickey.
Hickey is the term used for any foul, and is marked beside your name on the chalk board. You can see if you get a number of these it can get expensive depending on what the game is played for. The person that sells out to the winner of the game pays double. So they pay off at $20 and $2 in this case.

There is a lot of strategy is this game. One or more rail kicks and banks is how the game is played, untill you get a shot at your pocket. At the same time you have to hold your man from making his pocket. Sometimes you can't play your pocket for that reason. It's a bit more involved, but that's the basics.