PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst miss you ever saw?

Cueless Joey
05-02-2004, 11:16 PM
I was playing handicapped-scotch doubles one time.
We went hill-hill. Our opponent was one really good player and a female pro. Female pro was shooting at the 9-ball. It had to be 5 inches from the left corner pocket almost straight.
Yup, she rattled it and the 9 park inches from the side pocket. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JohnBarton
05-02-2004, 11:52 PM
I saw Shannon Daulton miss a two foot cut shot to the corner on the six ball. The shot cost $8000 plus as it was the final game of the Camel Tour and first was $15,000 and second was $7000 I think. Also it affected the year end results and payouts. Allen Hopkins won that event.

I also saw Jimmy Wetch draw his cueball straight back into the side pocket playing against Efren Reyes in the World 8 Ball one year. I think it was the case game but I am not sure.

I don't EVEN want to talk about my own mishaps, like last month when I missed a two foot nine ball to be up a thousand and end up losing a hundred.

John

Cueless Joey
05-03-2004, 12:24 AM
John I was there when Jimmy did that.
Efren was on the hill and was one game ahead. Efren runs out to the 8 but hooks himself. Efren masses the cb and misses the 8 .
Jimmy runs out to his last ball on the side. He draws the cueball and scratches of course. I saw the video and I can hear myself scream. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Unbelievable.

Bassmaster
05-03-2004, 01:26 AM
On a much smaller scale. I was in a Ring game playing 5/5, on the 5/9 ball. 5 players. My shot: only two balls left the 5 ball and the 9 ball. 9 ball dead center of the corner bocket. the 5 ball on the rail of the same pocket about 5 inches up the rail. Cue ball about 3 inches from the 5 ball at only a slight 15 degree angle. Guaranteed Double right! Wrong...I shot soft the 5 ball bumped the 9 and locked them both in the pocket.(diamond table with tight pockets) The next player just shot at the 5 and both of them fall. So instead of making 40.00 I lost 10.00. quit after that...nerves gone.

Popcorn
05-03-2004, 02:12 AM
Three come to mind
Rempy missed this ball needing one to win, the US open straight pool tournament in the early 70s. Balsas ran out to win 200 to 199. I was sitting in the front row and Rempys knees buckled after the miss, I thought he may faint. When he went back to his chair his girl, maybe his wife I don't know, had to hold on to him he looked that bad.

START(
%AN7O5%BL8P7%CJ7O4%DL8N2%EM7P1%FK7P1%GK7N8%HM7N8%I X4W5%JK8M6
%KJ7P7%LJ7N2%MK7Q3%NJ7Q9%OJ7M0%PV7P3
)END

This one was missed by Toby Sweet playing Wade Crane for $15,000. It was hard to believe. It did not cost him the match, but it helped. He played so bad anyway and Crane played so good, nothing could have saved Toby, just one of those nights.

START(
%AN7O5%BL8P7%CJ7O4%DL8N2%EM7P1%FM3O2%GK7N8%Ho8D6%I r4S5%JK8M6
%KJ7P7%LJ7N2%MK7Q3%NJ7Q9%OJ7M0%Pl1C8
)END

I saw Mizerak miss this. It was just a tournament match ( 9-ball) and I think he went on to win, but it is hard to believe a player like him could just miss a ball like that.

START(
%AN7O5%BL8P7%CJ7O4%DL8N2%EM7P1%Fn2J0%GK7N8%HL2P2%I L5O7%JK8M6
%KJ7P7%LJ7N2%MK7Q3%NJ7Q9%OJ7M0%Pi1Q2
)END

My personal worst shot was this. There are plenty more but this one still makes me sick to my stomach when I think about it. I was playing Steve Cook and I needed one game. I did not get out from here and lost the match. What I did was brush the 9 with the 8 as I shot it in making the 9 unmakeable. You could not even bank it. I tried to kick it in and it hung. I just did not want to try to play safe, I wanted to shoot. I may have lost anyway even if I played safe.

START(
%AN7O5%BL8P7%CJ7O4%DL8N2%EM7P1%FL6O5%GK7N8%HP1Z4%I E2Y5%JK8M6
%KJ7P7%LJ7N2%MK7Q3%NJ7Q9%OJ7M0%PT3Z4
)END

bluewolf
05-03-2004, 06:17 AM
On a smaller scale, two weeks ago, our sl5 was playing an sl7 in the first round of the playoffs. Our five won the first game and the 7 went into choke. He missed almost a foot straight in to the side that even an sl3 does not typically miss.

This 7 was choking so bad, I could see it in his eyes, and I whispered to our 5, in between games when noone was shooting, 'he is in choke, take advantage of this'. The five was nervous playing the seven but still beat him. The seven had good ability and made some beautiful shots and shapes, but seemed to have not gotten as developed mentally, as he was in his pool skills and was beaten. I know that anyone can choke, but this seven was choking all over the place, was a 'choking dog'.

Before I became convenced that in certain situations than even I can beat a seven, here is my worst choke. I had just been promoted to sl3, 3 weeks before and had to play a seven. He was not a very good seven and was also having a bad shooting night. i was taking him down to the wire on almost every game, but had this sl thing in my head, choked and blew shots on the 8 that I rarely miss and essentially in that choke mentality, handed him the match on a 'silver platter'.

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
05-03-2004, 07:47 AM
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%HH6F3%PO0I8%QD6I3%Rs5B2%UJ5G3%VM7H9%WF4D5%XG7E6%]E4H3%^E7D4
%_r5D1%`k5F0%ac2G9
)END

2 girls playing in playoffs, hill-hill, with a berth in the annual Vegas-qualifying tourney riding on this 8-ball. She missed it sending the 8-ball to A.

Opponent banked 8-ball into pocket B
========================================

Here's my personal worst. Playing in annual Vegas-qualifying tourney

START(
%FJ2Y3%GE2Q6%HI5T7%PN3V9%QD4Z2%Rs5B2%UG1Z5%VH9Y6%W K6X6%XM8W1
)END

I had a road map out and shot the 6 too easy trying to get good position on the 7. 6-ball ended up at A

I went outside and threw up.

Chris Cass
05-03-2004, 07:50 AM
Yep, it was for the match, for Efrin.

C.C.

Barbara
05-03-2004, 08:53 AM
I remember watching Ewa miscue on a straight-in 2-foot 9-ball for $20,000 in a Gordon's 9-ball tourny on tv in the mid-90's.

That's when I thought, damn, everyone can miss.

Barbara

PQQLK9
05-03-2004, 08:59 AM
They just showed that match last week....she did win the match. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nostroke
05-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Ive seen Ginky miss ball in hand twice and Frankie Hernandez once.

One time i had about a 30 degree cut to the left on a fairly short shot and somehow i wound up cutting it 15 degrees to the RIGHT. When the ball went to the right, it was such a shock from what my eye had expected to see that my heart evidently skipped a beat, and i begn to feel dizzy. I actually had to hold on to the table for support as i thought i was going down!! Believe it or not!

Rich R.
05-03-2004, 11:46 AM
I know many of us saw this one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith McCready playing Alex P. in the 2003 U.S.Open.
Keith was on the 9, for the win. He looked up at the crowd and said, "You can put this one on the internet."
Keith then missed the shot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Fortunately, for Keith, he still won the match.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Rich,

I don't remember the exact shot but it was Ga-Young Kim vs. Karen Corr for the match (US Open final) and Kim missed it. Anybody that watched that will never forget. And if Kim never wins a major tourney she will remember it too....a lot /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rich R.
05-03-2004, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Rich,

I don't remember the exact shot but it was Ga-Young Kim vs. Karen Corr for the match (US Open final) and Kim missed it. Anybody that watched that will never forget. And if Kim never wins a major tourney she will remember it too....a lot /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Wally, I saw that TV match.
IIRC, Kim missed, then Karen missed and Kim missed a second time. I felt so sorry for Kim. She was obviously very nervous.

PQQLK9
05-03-2004, 12:58 PM
The worst/best miss i've seen is Buddy Hall rattling the 9 in the corner straight in about 2 diamonds away only to have it bank in the side pocket to win the match game.
START(
%IL1Y8%PT6Y3%U[3C3%VC4Z2%_E5[5%`J4Y8%aK4Y8

)END

highsea
05-03-2004, 03:29 PM
One of my own...8 ball is 2" from the corner, CB is 6" away, straight in. Miscue a simple stop shot, clean hop the CB over the 8 and into the pocket. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Candyman
05-03-2004, 03:55 PM
What made it so bad, was kim's second miss was almost an identical shot to her first.

Nostroke
05-03-2004, 04:24 PM
I think you are remembering that wrong a little.

As i remember GYK miscued on a straight in 8 ball, missing it while trying to draw back for the nine. Karen then missed the 8 ball and left GYK the virtually the same "out" . She extra chalked, made the 8 drawing the cue a little weak and then missed the semi-hanger nine.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-04-2004, 06:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> One of my own...8 ball is 2" from the corner, CB is 6" away, straight in. Miscue a simple stop shot, clean hop the CB over the 8 and into the pocket. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Call me "Froggy"

I've done that more than once but not on a game-winning ball. That is the most embarassing miss there is I think.