PDA

View Full Version : Rating Discrepancies?

shooter72283
05-03-2004, 07:43 AM
I know that the APA rating system is supposed to be universal, but:
I have only been playing for about six months. Thanks to a LOT of time and $ spent at the PH down the street, and some great instruction from some of the best players in my city, possibly state, everyone tells me I'm rated somewhere around an 8. The problem is that there is no APA league set up at my PH and I don't have a car, so I can't very well join a league somewhere else. I did go down to Triangle Billiards, a PH on the other side of town with a few friends of mine this past Friday, looking for a game. We asked the owner of the place, whom my friend knows, if there were any 8s there for me to play. He pointed out one guy that he said was an 8 and would most likely give me a good run for my money. Soon after we started to play I realized that this guy was nowhere near my level and he probably deserved a decent spot from me (which he never asked for, so I never gave it to him). At the end of the night, I was up $300, being treated like a god in that place, and couldn't get a game to save my life. Why the discrepancies in the rating system? Everyone at my PH tells me that if we did an APA league, I would be an 8. But if I joined the league over at Triangle, it seems like I would be rated a 9, or simply not be eligible. Can anyone explain this for me?

Chris Cass
05-03-2004, 07:48 AM
Yep, go BCA.

C.C.

SpiderMan
05-03-2004, 08:45 AM
I'll second what Chris said. If you're an advanced player, you'll find little use in playing APA, other than it may provide a venue for you to participate with some of your buddies who are less talented.

Of the "big three", APA, BCA, and VNEA, I find APA to be the least enjoyable format. Most of your evening is spent sitting around and waiting. Our local APA matches begin at 7:30 and often run well past 11:00. There are five matches, and you will only play in one of them (against one matchup from the other team). During the other four matches you will sit.

I had to learn karaoke to avoid becoming an alcoholic from boredom. I guess that's why the bars love to host APA leagues, all those folks sitting around with nothing to do but drink.

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
05-03-2004, 09:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>....I guess that's why the bars love to host APA leagues, all those folks sitting around with nothing to do but drink.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

and smoke /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm only doing one night a week of APA now. It's a really good team I am on or I would probly quit that night too.

Wally~~has smoked an entire pack on league night at times.

stickman
05-03-2004, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shooter72283:</font><hr> I know that the APA rating system is supposed to be universal.<hr /></blockquote>
I don't think it's too universal. My experience leads me to believe that frequently players from smaller areas comparatively tend to be ranked higher than those from larger areas. Due to the increased competition of larger leagues the win/loss ratio is not comparable to the same player in a smaller league with less competition. At least that's my theory. There are often big discrepancies within leagues, also. I don't understand it, and don't know what I can do about it, so I have long ago, decided to not worry about it and just play and have fun.

You have an enviable problem. (Being an under-rated 8 after playing for 6 months.) I should be so lucky. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shooter72283
05-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I've been looking into getting into some other kind of league, b/c I would like to attend tourneys and whatnot, but it seems that at the rate I'm progressing, I'd be bored with APA very quickly (I heard that 9 is the highest rating you can get). I'm keeping up my strict training regimen, on average about 40hrs/week at the PH (I'm a student and have been making just enough scratch playing pool to not need a job too badly), and I hope (or wish) that in a few years I could go pro. I haven't heard anything about the BCA in my area and I don't have a reliable mode of transportation, so I guess I'll have to wait until I get my license back to really get out there and see if I can compete.

stickman
05-03-2004, 09:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shooter72283:</font><hr> I'm keeping up my strict training regimen, on average about 40hrs/week at the PH. <hr /></blockquote>

That helps explain how you've progressed so fast. (along with good teaching) Good luck in making your goals!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jim

catscradle
05-03-2004, 11:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> ... I had to learn karaoke to avoid becoming an alcoholic from boredom. I guess that's why the bars love to host APA leagues, all those folks sitting around with nothing to do but drink.

Try being somebody who quit drinking 13 years ago (with good reason I might add) and has to sit around drinking soda water 'til your bladder is ready to explode. Oy vey!
BTW, I can't try Kareoke(sp?), for fear of putting the place out of business.

catscradle
05-03-2004, 11:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>....I guess that's why the bars love to host APA leagues, all those folks sitting around with nothing to do but drink.

and smoke /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm only doing one night a week of APA now. It's a really good team I am on or I would probly quit that night too.

Wally~~has smoked an entire pack on league night at times. <hr /></blockquote>

The second hand smoke is so bad in some places it's like smoking a pack whether you smoke or not. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif Or was that the point you were making in the first place.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-03-2004, 12:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>
The second hand smoke is so bad in some places it's like smoking a pack whether you smoke or not. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif Or was that the point you were making in the first place. <hr /></blockquote>

The point I was trying to make was that I smoke too much on league night out of sheer boredom. That is if there is not a practice table or two, which is often the case.

You're right about second hand smoke. Being a smoker, when my eyes start watering I know it's bad /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Some places I will stand by the back door and open it to let some of the smoke out. If there's a light above the door it literally looks like there is a raging fire burning inside with all the smoke pouring out /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SpiderMan
05-03-2004, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> ... I had to learn karaoke to avoid becoming an alcoholic from boredom. I guess that's why the bars love to host APA leagues, all those folks sitting around with nothing to do but drink.

Try being somebody who quit drinking 13 years ago (with good reason I might add) and has to sit around drinking soda water 'til your bladder is ready to explode. Oy vey!
BTW, I can't try Kareoke(sp?), for fear of putting the place out of business.
<hr /></blockquote>

On APA night, there's hardly anyone at our home bar except for pool players anyway, and they can't leave ... captive audience!!! Ha Ha Ha

SpiderMan

Bob_Jewett
05-03-2004, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shooter72283:</font><hr> ... rating system is supposed to be universal
... I have only been playing for about six months.<hr /></blockquote>
Depending on which area and other factors, you might see an APA rating difference of +-1 level for a given skill level.

If you have only been playing for six months and can't find a game, you need to get into deeper water. Some of the better players you have learned from may well go to regional tournaments and you could get a ride from them.

shooter72283
05-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Unfortunately, most of the guys I've been learning from are old poolhall junkies who were world class players when they were younger, but are now more than content to stay at the PH and play ring games of snooker for $20 a head. The only guys I know of who are planning to do any real competing are both biding their time until the World Open, and I think that would be jumping in just a little too deep. If there is anyone on here who ever happens to be passing through Durham, NC on their way to an event, let me know and maybe we can make some travel arrangements.