PDA

View Full Version : APA rules

striker_3
05-03-2004, 08:47 AM
Now that I live in Charleston South Carolina and there are harldy any tournaments (and even the few we have are handicapped and on barboxes), I'm thinking about joining the APA. I just downloaded the rule book because I'm trying to find major differences between APA and the normal BCA. Other than the no push and no jump sticks, is there anything else you would like to point out? I think I am going to join, but the whole ranking system on barboxes is alien to me.

PQQLK9
05-03-2004, 08:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote striker_3:</font><hr> Now that I live in Charleston South Carolina and there are harldy any tournaments (and even the few we have are handicapped and on barboxes <hr /></blockquote>
I'd say they are handicapped /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ,scroll down and read the post on gambling in SC. (If you do ...use a house cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-03-2004, 09:06 AM
If you make a ball on the break in BCA you can choose your group. In APA you have to take whatever group you pocket on the break.

In APA you do not have to call your pocket. You do in BCA (just the pocket, not caroms and such)

pooltchr
05-03-2004, 09:17 AM
APA 8-ball - If you make a ball on the break, that's what you got. BCA - always open until a legal ball is pocketed after the break.

APA - Slop counts. (except on the 8) BCA - Called pocket.

APA - Scratch when you are on the 8 is loss of game
BCA - Scratch and making the 8 on the same shot is loss of game...scratch only without making the 8 gives up BIH.

Those are the differences that come to mind immediately.
sj

catscradle
05-03-2004, 09:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote striker_3:</font><hr> Now that I live in Charleston South Carolina and there are harldy any tournaments (and even the few we have are handicapped and on barboxes), I'm thinking about joining the APA. I just downloaded the rule book because I'm trying to find major differences between APA and the normal BCA. Other than the no push and no jump sticks, is there anything else you would like to point out? I think I am going to join, but the whole ranking system on barboxes is alien to me. <hr /></blockquote>

The biggest differences are:
1. In 8-ball slop counts, already mentioned by somebody else.
and
2. In 9-ball the object of the game is not to pocket the 9-ball. The object is to get points, 1 point each for balls 1 thru 8 and 2 points for the 9-ball. You continue playing racks until one of the players reaches his target number of points based upon handicap. There are 20 team match points available per individual points, those points are divided between the 2 teams based up how close the loser came to reaching his point target. Sounds complicated, but it is simple.

catscradle
05-03-2004, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> ... There are 20 team match points available per individual <font color="brown"> points </font color> , ...
<hr /></blockquote>

Opps, make that "individual match".

That's why it defaults to preview my post, right?

SPetty
05-03-2004, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> Oops, make that "individual match". <hr /></blockquote>And, that's why they offer you the opportunity to edit your post after you've posted it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SPetty
05-03-2004, 10:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> In APA you do not have to call your pocket.<hr /></blockquote>Except for the 8 ball, which must not only be called, but must be marked. Even if it is the most obvious shot ever, if you do not properly and legally mark your pocket before the successful shot, you lose the game.

Nightstalker
05-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Also, the 8 ball cannot touch the marker otherwise you lose.

SpiderMan
05-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Also 8 on the break is a win in APA, shooter's option in BCA.

SpiderMan

striker_3
05-03-2004, 07:11 PM
I found another one. If you knock a ball off the table it is:

APA: no foul, ball is spotted and play continues like normal.
BCA: a foul, ball pockets and end of inning