PDA

View Full Version : "Mother's" for Shafts

SpiderMan
05-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Played a guy named "Laredo" last night in a tournament. I've seen him around, he probably plays every night somewhere. Anyway, I looked at his cue while he was racking and noticed the shaft was about the most pristine I had seen for a used cue.

Because of all the recent discussions on the Mr Clean Eraser, I just had to ask him what he used to keep the shaft clean.

He said that he cleans it with a product called "Mother's", which he purchases at truck stops. Apparently it comes in a small can and sounds like it could be a very fine abrasive compound in a carrier liquid, used for polishing metal. As he described it, I thought it might be something like the "blue-away" I use to remove discoloration from motorcycles' chrome exhaust pipes.

I inspected his cue and found the surface to be glossy and smooth, without any "fuzz" raised, but it had absolutely zero detectable chalk in the pores. He does not sand his shaft, and does not use any waxes or other sealing products. He only said that he cleans it with "Mother's" and then burnishes using one of his wife's old stockings. The surface was hard and free of dings.

Apparently "Mother's" is non-staining, as the shaft was as bright white as if it were freshly-cut.

Anyone ever seen this stuff, or know what's in it?

SpiderMan

Barbara
05-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Spidey,

I've used this stuff to detail the Hawg. I had no idea you could use it on wood.

Barbara

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Played a guy named "Laredo" last night in a tournament. I've seen him around, he probably plays every night somewhere. Anyway, I looked at his cue while he was racking and noticed the shaft was about the most pristine I had seen for a used cue.

Because of all the recent discussions on the Mr Clean Eraser, I just had to ask him what he used to keep the shaft clean.

He said that he cleans it with a product called "Mother's", which he purchases at truck stops. Apparently it comes in a can and is a very mildly abrasive compound used for polishing metal.

I inspected his cue and found the surface to be glossy and smooth, without any "fuzz" raised, but it had absolutely zero detectable chalk in the pores. He does not sand his shaft, and does notuse any waxes or other sealing products. He only said that he cleans it with "Mother's" and then burnishes using one of his wife's old stockings.

Apparently "Mother's" is non-staining, as the shaft was as bright white as if it were freshly-cut.

Anyone ever seen this stuff, or know what's in it?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

daviddjmp
05-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Looks like it is widely available:

http://www.autogeek.net/motbilmetpol.html

stickman
05-03-2004, 09:46 AM
I've never tried it for a shaft. It is a great metal polish though. Great for chrome, alloy wheels, aluminum, etc. I polished the aluminum cases of my motorcycle once, and it looked like bright chrome. I think it leaves a silicon film. I don't have a can of Mothers now, just a can of Blue Magic (similar product). Check the label.

Jim

Pizza Bob
05-03-2004, 12:06 PM
There's a whole line of Mother's car care products. They are the main competitor to Meguires waxes, etc. I think I'd want a little more info as to which specific Mother's product it was he used, before I run out and slather God knows what on my shafts. Can you find out more, Spidey?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Chris Cass
05-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Hi Marty,

Yes, I've used it forever to seal in the shaft. I got it from Brandon Jacoby. He uses it on every shaft recondition. It is carnauba wax basically. No harsh chemicals. I stopped using it awhile back. It was too smooth for me. It does do a good job of keeping the chaulk out of the cue. It's also ok to use a damp cloth or paper towel to wipe off the days chaulk and no need to worry about the damp paper towel. It also works good for the finish on the butt area. I mentioned I quit using it and started using Dr. Cue wax.

It works the same though it's not as cheap. Tell ya what, it's called Mother California Gold original formula Carnuba Cleaner Wax. It's also adds a nice touch to the ferrule and the sidewalls of the tip when you replace a ferrule or the tip. You know when some cueman replace a ferrule and it appears to be sanded on the shaft wood? I don't think there's any getting around that. Anyway, it blends it to where it looks as if it was never done.

Regards,

C.C.~~don't recommend and Mothers aluminum mag cleaner for any wood. Just straight carnuba only.

SpiderMan
05-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Next time I run into him, I can ask him to start carrying the can around for the following time I may run into him, but who knows if he'll remember?

Does "Mother's" make more than one variety of metal polish?

SpiderMan

Pizza Bob
05-03-2004, 01:46 PM
http://www.mothers.com/products/

Yes!

SpiderMan
05-03-2004, 03:17 PM
I followed that link and only saw one metal polish that appears to come in a can. At least in a metal can. Next time I see him I'll try to get a more detailed description of the container.

SpiderMan

stickman
05-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Mothers makes a whole line of car care products. (Polishes, waxes, and cleaners.) What you described sounded like the metal polish. (Mothers mag and aluminum polish) It comes in a small can, and is white or off white as I remember. You can find it at most automotive departments. Even Walmart.

Chris Cass
05-03-2004, 11:56 PM
Oops, I thought you meant cleaner/wax. Polish has abrassives and the product I use doesn't.

C.C.