PDA

View Full Version : Pool Shoes

04-30-2002, 07:00 PM
A recent posting about pool glasses reminded me of an episode I once had in a Sports Authority store. I was roaming thru the shoe department, and was utterly amazed at the specialty shoes on display. Running shoes, walking shoes, training shoes, cross-training shoes, hiking shoes, tennis shoes, basketball shoes, etc., etc., etc. So, I asked a clerk where were the pool shoes located. He gave me a blank stare until I explained that I was a champion pocket billiards player and needed a pair of pool shoes for my next tournament. After conferring with the shoe department manager, the store manager, the general mananger, and maybe the corporate CEO, he finally admitted that they didn't carry pool shoes--would bowling shoes do? Well, needless to say I never did find a pair of pool shoes, but I got to thinking--is there such a thing?

rackmup
04-30-2002, 07:17 PM
That's funny!

I went into The Sports Authority a few years back and asked a gal in the "Team Sports" department for a "Left-Handed Softball Bat." She looked through almost all of them until she finally said "I think we might be out of them."

I used to be a District Manager for TSA back when they first opened the stores on the west coast so I speak from experience when I say: No pool shoes.

Regards,

Ken (thinks pool shoes would be all the rage if NIKE, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan and Efren Reyes did a commercial promoting them! "The NIKE AIR SNAP THE 9 with phenolic resin soles and patented Cocobola wood chamber arch support")

bigalerickson
04-30-2002, 10:08 PM
I'd buy a pair ken.

05-01-2002, 01:46 AM
Did you get rid of your big red shoes? You know....The ones that go with your clown suit?

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 04:32 AM
Good morning:

Personally, I wear a dress shoe with a 2" heel. Solid foundation, with a little extra lift at the table.

Dr. D.

rackmup
05-01-2002, 04:58 AM
You crack me up! You are one funny, intelligent guy.

Regards,

Ken (retired from Ringling Bros. last year, kept the shoes but had to give the suit back and was given the funny nose and itty-bitty car at the retirement party)

Kato
05-01-2002, 07:30 AM
I prefer sneakers actually, all be it clean ones. I can and will play in dress shoes for tournaments. Not with heals like Dr. D, I prefer a flatter sole. Boots are a no no for me though I have tried, folks out in the great state of Texas probably have no trouble with this.

Kato~~~likes being comfy

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 08:01 AM
Good morning:

Someone told me, once upon a century, that Texans wear boots because they have High Arches !!!

Dr. D.

05-01-2002, 09:39 AM
My preference for non tournament shoes is the Adidas Lo-Max. For tournaments, the Simple(Brand)Tucket. Both very comfortable FLAT shoes.

Hawk

Voodoo Daddy
05-01-2002, 09:41 AM
Another story from days gone by. In the mid 80's a road player named John Zaksis from Chicago or Detriot came to Miami and played the local world-beater. He had a bag with him and before he started to play he changed into his POOL SHOES. But these werent regular shoes...they were RED with a 9-BALL on either the sides or the tounge. He told me they were his idea and was gonna market them. Years go by and I hear he owns a Pool Room called "Red Shoes Billiards" True Story and you mid west guys should know about Red Shoes Billiards <clears throat> Chris Cass....

Voodoo...full of stories among other things