View Full Version : ESPN ranks billiards 59th of 60 in difficulty

moblsv
05-03-2004, 12:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

Bowling tougher than Billiards?

On a side note. They missed my personal favorite sport, Wakeboarding

9 Ball Girl
05-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Damn Pro Players. It's all their fault for making the sport of Billiards look so damn easy. Who makes these things up anyway?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

woody_968
05-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Well based on the way they did the ratings I would agree with the rating for the most part. It looks like these are rated based on how physically demanding a sport is and based against the other sports billiards would be low on the list.

The one thing I dont agree with is giving ENDURANCE a 1 on the ratings. They obviously have never tried to play pool on the end of a 14 hour match /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nightstalker
05-03-2004, 01:10 PM
Difficult to play, no. Difficult to master, hell yes! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

daviddjmp
05-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Believe me, the kind of concentration necessary to play good pool, expecially 14.1 can drain anyone. Playing two 150 point matches back to back can take 4-5 hours sometimes. I think their chart is based pretty much on physical endurance only-

wolfdancer
05-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Look at the bright side....We beat out fishing!!!!

Nightstalker
05-03-2004, 06:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Look at the bright side....We beat out fishing!!!! <hr /></blockquote>
WOOT!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

catscradle
05-04-2004, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote moblsv:</font><hr> http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

Bowling tougher than Billiards?

On a side note. They missed my personal favorite sport, Wakeboarding <hr /></blockquote>

Given the full spectrum of what factors they considered it is probably an appropriate rating. It givens credence to the game faction in the game vs. sport debate. Doesn't mean bowling is more difficult to execute just more physical, afterall calculus is more difficult than bowling or pool. There seemed to be a definite bias towards the physical. What they didn't factor in were the more physical aspects of pool like barroom brawls and 24 hour sessions fueled by chemicals for you big time gamblers.

piglit
05-04-2004, 06:42 AM
Pool is not physically demanding. You back that fact with your statement about 'a 14-hour session': Could you imagine a football game lasting that long? How 'bout basketball? Tennis? Bike race?

Aside from the bike race, damn near impossisble.

And, the dope some of those day-long players take(!!)...sure makes it easier.

-pigy

Leviathan
05-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Hmm--I see that tennis gets a higher power rating than rugby does. OK, I'm picturing Andre Agassi in a rugby scrum...

And American football, with its substitutions, huddles, commercials, and timeouts ranks higher overall than rugby does--oh, yes!! (Well, maybe that does make sense; after all, American football players have to carry all of that protective armor around, and that must be very tiring.)

AS /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody_968
05-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Pigy, I think you may have misunderstood my post, I agree that pool is not physically demanding. Take Steve Mizerak for example /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My point was that they gave stamina a 1, I think it was even lower than for fishing if I remember right. While it is a little different type of stamina than the more physically demanding sports it is still a part of the game. After 14 hrs your legs and back get tired, not to mention the drain on you mentally.

Again, based on the way they did it I agree with the rankings as far as pool is concerned.

armandito
05-04-2004, 02:35 PM
The rating is not about "difficulty". It was done based on "athleticism".

You should read more (ESPN.com - Page 2) about what they're trying to do to to figure out who is the best ATHLETE and which is the most demanding SPORT. They sent writers on interesting missions (like trying to hit a 90 mph fastball, rowing with a team trying to qualify to the Olympics, even trying to keep up in pentathlon), which makes for very funny articles.

tateuts
05-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Wow! We compete in one of the top 60 most physically demanding sports in the world. No wonder I'm always so damned tired! Where did knitting rank?

Chris