PDA

View Full Version : SpiderVault - My Solution to the Airline Problem

SpiderMan
04-30-2002, 07:35 PM
Well, I leave for my initial 'Vegas excursion tomorrow, so I had to come up with something. And a soft-cover "outer bag" to keep scratches off my $69.95 Porper 3x6 doesn't address the problem. My real concern was my cues, and what would happen if they spent the entire flight in a case that was partly under some crate and being flexed by about an inch or so. The so-called "hard" case WILL deflect under pressure, I proved it! Since the cues fit tight in the tubes, all that stress would transfer directly to them.

So Sunday afternoon I made a few searches through the scrap bin, a trip to the hardware store, a look around the garage, and some time in the workshop. For about $5 in stuff that I didn't already have laying around, here's what I came up with:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/funkychateau/lst?.dir=/SpiderVault&.view=t

I think I'm ready.

SpiderMan

Barbara
04-30-2002, 07:58 PM
Very nice!! If I didn't have an Instroke case, my hubby would've probably done the same thing! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Barbara

Rich R.
05-01-2002, 05:32 AM
Spiderman, please take pictures of the faces of the airport security force when you walk in the front door with the SpiderVault. I believe the expression on their faces will be priceless. LMFAO. Rich R.

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 05:41 AM
Good morning:

I invested in the case, 3SKB-H3611w, found at this company's WebSite. www.skbindustrial.com/newpull.html (http://www.skbindustrial.com/newpull.html)

Somewhat expensive however, considering the construction and the fact that it has locks and is on wheels, I considered it a worthwhile investment for my cues and Jack Justis Case.

Dr. D.

rackmup
05-01-2002, 05:50 AM
Traveling out of town for that <font color=red>BIG</font color=red> tournament?
Need protection for those expensive cues?
The airlines won't let you carry on your cue case?

Then you need the...

<font color=red>SPIDERVAULT "ARMORED" CUE CARRIER</font color=red>

Check out these features!

• Compact size is perfect for even the largest cue cases.
• Designed to meet carry-on requirements of most major U.S. airlines but safe to check in at the counter.
• Up to 25% lighter than comparable cases of concrete construction.
• Water and tear resistant 3/4" CDX wood siding.
• Brass drawer handle provides easy mobility .
• Inline skate wheels (optional) are designed for durability, long life, and smooth operation.
• Zero Gravity frame is stronger and 33% lighter than conventional concrete or rebar frame construction.
• Full bubble-wrap phenolic plastic lining protects contents.
• Includes a removable Travel-Gard™ toiletry organizer with a convenient hanging fixture.
• Expands for added packing capacity when needed (just add onto the solid wood frame, much like a room addition to your home.)
• Attach-Mate™ strap allows a second bag to be fastened and carried with ease (like your take-along Sardo Rack!)
• Features self repairing metal nails and air-tight, caulked seams and joints.

This case, normally valued at $290 ($310 with optional inline skate wheels) is available <font color=red>NOW</font color=red> by special order for only $59.99 (plus shipping and handling) and can be conveniently billed to your credit card in THREE EASY PAYMENTS!

If you order now (in time for the tournaments in Las Vegas, we will include):

<ul type="square"> A Popiel Pocket Lathe!
Six CD's or Cassettes of "Play your Best Pool"!
The step-by-step instruction booklet on how to make a two-piece cue from commonly discarded household items!
[/list]

Order now! <font color=red>QUANTITIES ARE LIMITED!</font color=red>

Send check or money order to:

Martha Stewart/Rackmup Pool Enterprises
PO Box 14:1
Mansfield, Texas 76063

(Sorry, no COD or Anonymous Orders.)

DISCLOSURE
(This case HAS NOT been approved by the FAA, FDA, UPS, FBI or the CIA but has the endorsement of the BCA, WPBA, APA and TAP for use in pool tournament travel only and is not intended for use by those under the age of 18. "Martha Stewart" and "Rackmup" are trademarks of the "Martha Stewart/Rackmup Enterprises" company and hopes to profit from this product BUT assumes no liability should the user be injured or killed during the use of this product. The Consumer Product Safety Commission in NO WAY endorses this item and we are currently involved in litigation in three states for injuries incurred while using this product. No part of the proceeds from the sale of this product will be donated to any of your favorite charitable organizations.)

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 05:53 AM
Good morning Pookie:

I have said it before and I will say it again. Pookie, you have too damn much time on your hands ...

Dr. D.

Sid_Vicious
05-01-2002, 06:26 AM
Ok Spiderman please take this in good spirit....rackmup, that was an artistic and well structured piece(imo.) I am not a writer but pride myself in believing that I could be with a little push. I think that you are in line to make a few bucks off of your talent of expression and your ability to neatly organize if you so chose....sid

SpiderMan
05-01-2002, 08:18 AM
Carry one in each hand, and before long you'll be able to:

1. Play any table up to 5x10 without needing a bridge.

2. Get the rack from under the table without bending over.

3. Get more use out of your cue extension.

4. Move your score counters from the chair.

5. Dunk a basketball, even if you can't jump.

6. Grab your own beer from behind the bar.

7. Never again need to ask someone to hit the elevator buttons for you!

8. And, of course, your services will always be in demand whenever balls get hung in the coin-op tables.

The downer may be that you'll also have to dig out those platform shoes you've been saving from the disco days, to keep from skinning your knuckles when you walk.

SpiderMan

05-01-2002, 09:23 AM
There is no doubt that will protect your cues (unless it falls out the cargo door in flight). Just a guess here, but I think they're going to tear it and you apart when you walk in the airport door. You may even warrant a visit by the National Guard with that thing.

Maybe you could paint it and lable it "Billiards on the Road" or something like that.

They're gonna nail you.

Fran

SpiderMan
05-06-2002, 01:03 AM
Nope, never got "nailed". One check-in agent asked what was in it, I just said "pool cues" and that was that. Otherwise, it was just another odd-looking suitcase. Still wished I'd had time to build in wheels on one end. Taking it back to 'Vegas in about 3-1/2 days, and yes, I do have some ideas about a paint job!

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> There is no doubt that will protect your cues (unless it falls out the cargo door in flight). Just a guess here, but I think they're going to tear it and you apart when you walk in the airport door. You may even warrant a visit by the National Guard with that thing.

Maybe you could paint it and lable it "Billiards on the Road" or something like that.

They're gonna nail you.

Fran <hr></blockquote>

cheesemouse
05-06-2002, 08:25 AM
Spiderman,
I think Fran is correct. Although I admire your craftiness in actually building something with the stuff you buy at the hardware store(I spend hours in the isles of hardware stores and then buy stuff out of quilt) if that thing passes the security levels of any airport I will stop paying my taxes. LOL That thing could be right out of the Unibombers Bombers handbook. I would be afraid to stand near you in the check-in line and if you breezed through I would be afraid to get on the plane. LMAO /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

SpiderMan
05-06-2002, 09:01 AM
Hey Cheesemouse,

Better go back and re-read the post you replied to. I flew "the vault" out to 'Vegas on Wednesday of last week, and returned with it last night. No troubles anywhere. Flying out again this Thursday.

What are you going to do with all the extra money you'll now have after not paying taxes?

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cheesemouse:</font><hr> Spiderman,
I think Fran is correct. Although I admire your craftiness in actually building something with the stuff you buy at the hardware store(I spend hours in the isles of hardware stores and then buy stuff out of quilt) if that thing passes the security levels of any airport I will stop paying my taxes. LOL That thing could be right out of the Unibombers Bombers handbook. I would be afraid to stand near you in the check-in line and if you breezed through I would be afraid to get on the plane. LMAO /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

cheesemouse
05-06-2002, 09:17 AM
Spiderman,
All in good fun I hope you know...but I think I'll take the extra $$$ and play in a couple more pool tounaments. I may write my congressman also. LMAO /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

05-06-2002, 09:18 AM
Spiderman, I bet I know why you got through security. They thought you were a government employee...you know, maybe an arms-for-hostages negotiator.

But seriously, if it works, that's great. You've accomplished something the rest of us haven't...a guaranteed secure environment for your cues.

Fran

SpiderMan
05-06-2002, 12:20 PM
Just in case I was only lucky last week ..... will you bring me food if I they take me to the Las Vegas Lockup this week ?????

SpiderMan