PDA

View Full Version : wooden triangle problem

Wally_in_Cincy
05-04-2004, 10:57 AM
My rack at home which I inherited from the previous homeowner always leaves an 1/16" gap betwen the two balls behind the head ball. The inside radius on the corners is too large and it forces the head ball into the second row and tends to separate them. I hope I'm explaining this right.

Anyone ever seen this happen?

So I ordered another one from Mueller's and it's even worse. I think I'm going to send it back just on principal even though I'll have to go to the freakin' post office. I was going to get a Brunswick rack but Mueller's doesn't carry them.

tateuts
05-04-2004, 11:15 AM
My home rack was pretty good for awhile. There was one side and one side only (which I marked) that would make a good 9 ball rack. Then the wood warped or something, and that was it - same gap as yours in the second row. I haven't messed around with a solution, but haven't even considered the Sardo contraption.

Chris

Leviathan
05-04-2004, 11:20 AM
It's aggravating. Why does it happen--surely the damn things are built on jigs? I'm sure you've found that some racks work best with a particular point in the front position or with one particular side up.

AS

Frank_Glenn
05-04-2004, 11:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> My rack at home which I inherited from the previous homeowner always leaves an 1/16" gap betwen the two balls behind the head ball. The inside radius on the corners is too large and it forces the head ball into the second row and tends to separate them. I hope I'm explaining this right.

Anyone ever seen this happen?

So I ordered another one from Mueller's and it's even worse. I think I'm going to send it back just on principal even though I'll have to go to the freakin' post office. I was going to get a Brunswick rack but Mueller's doesn't carry them. <hr /></blockquote>

I bought a Diamond rack at VF. $30 (usually $40). They had some used ones for $20. Perfect rack every time, and this thing is built like a tank!

Tom_In_Cincy
05-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Wally,

I think a new rack will resolve your problem.

Steve - Detroit
05-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Wally,
Had the same problem with the rack that came with my table. I ended going to a billiard store, took a box of brand new balls and all the racks they had over to a display table. I dumped the balls out and just started racking them. I ended going through at least a half dozen racks before I found one that racked them tight. I have no idea why some work fine and others don't, even from the same manufacturer.

Nightstalker
05-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Manufacturing tolerances, when mass-producing an item it is impossible to have each part be exactly the same.

Eric.
05-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Wood racks suck. I'm sure some people will yell heresy /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It seems like there are too many things that can affect how it racks i.e. manufacturing tolerances, warping of the wood, indents in the wood. Even the polyurethane coating can get sticky and make racking a problem.

I had good luck with the plastic(dare I say it /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) triangles. Not the cheap bar table ones. Somebody makes a plastic rack with thick (approx. 1/4") walls. I wax the inside of it with a teflon car wax. Gives great racks and doesn't stick to the balls.

Eric &gt;loves a great rack

Steve - Detroit
05-04-2004, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Manufacturing tolerances, when mass-producing an item it is impossible to have each part be exactly the same. <hr /></blockquote>

I understand what you're saying but we aren't exactly talking about watch making here.

Steve &lt;---sucker for a great rack too /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
05-04-2004, 12:54 PM
Wally,

If it was to small of radius it would force the head ball into the second row. At any rate have you ever considered worn balls? If they are, a good tight rack becomes a real big problem. That is the biggest reason I see when the balls don't touch. There are of course lousy racks!

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
05-04-2004, 01:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Wally,

If it was too small of radius it would force the head ball into the second row....<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> ... The inside radius on the corners is too large...<hr /></blockquote>

The radius of the corner is larger than 2 1/4". It would be better if the corners were sharp w/ no radius at all.

Rod
05-04-2004, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It would be better if the corners were sharp w/ no radius at all.
<hr /></blockquote>

Yes it would. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rocky
05-04-2004, 02:07 PM
wooden Diamond racks are the best out there IMHO.

Fred Agnir
05-04-2004, 02:30 PM
IMO, the two best wooden racks are the Diamond rack and the Brianna rack. Diamond also had racks made by Brianna. The Brianna racks are nice and thick (tall).

Fred

buddha162
05-05-2004, 01:47 AM
Fred,

Where can you purchase a Brianna rack?

I've already bought a Diamond. Works good, but not a lot of room in the back for racking straight-pool racks.

-Roger

Fred Agnir
05-05-2004, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> Fred,

I've already bought a Diamond. Works good, but not a lot of room in the back for racking straight-pool racks.

-Roger <hr /></blockquote>They had some at Valley Forge.

Seyberts http://www.seyberts.com/table_accessories/ball_racks/

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
05-05-2004, 06:44 AM
better be good for 30 smackers plus S &amp; H /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Frank_Glenn
05-05-2004, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> Fred,

-Roger <hr /></blockquote>

This is the rack I use, and I play 14.1 almost exclusively, so I do not understand your statement, please explain.

Chris Cass
05-05-2004, 06:49 AM
Hi Rocky,

This is nothing new. It happens also to the Diamond rack however, I like the Diamond rack too. I have to agree a ton with my younger brother Rod. The balls do get worn after time. The rack of 9 is a prime example. At the ph the most played game on the 9 ft is 9ball. The rest of the balls seem to hold up better.

If you think about it. The coating of the balls soon loses it's sheen as they wear. Also, the ball sets get mixed up and having two different sets will become a problem too. Another fact might be that a majority of the time the one ball is the most used and the most worn in any game. That being said, it would make perfect sence.

Alast, I have the solution to the problem at home. Just get some small pieces of cloth and glue the strips at the one ball position and the wing balls for that new tight fit. Felt might work better. It's thicker and will compress a bit. JAT

Regards,

C.C.

Steve - Detroit
05-05-2004, 06:50 AM
I checked the S&amp;H to Detroit, about 2-3 hrs. drive from Seyberts, almost $11 more.

Paul_Mon
05-05-2004, 08:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> They had some at Valley Forge.

Seyberts http://www.seyberts.com/table_accessories/ball_racks/

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Fred,
I use the plastic rack shown in the upper LH corner of the link you've mentioned. Gives me a perfect rack every time. I bought a wooden (oak) one and put it away when it started to leave splinters on the table.

Paul Mon

buddha162
05-05-2004, 09:15 AM
Well, I have some large hands and chubby fingers, but the only way I can lift the rack w/o disturbing the 14 balls is with my hand on the outside, squeezing in from left and right and lifting straight up (often shaking a little bit from the hefty rack).

With "regular" racks, there's enough room to push the rack forward and up (from the back), or lift the top point and pull it towards you. With the Diamond rack those manuevers would rattle the balls.

Works fine, just a little too tedious for me is all.

-Roger

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote buddha162:</font><hr> Fred,

-Roger <hr /></blockquote>

This is the rack I use, and I play 14.1 almost exclusively, so I do not understand your statement, please explain. <hr /></blockquote>

cycopath
05-05-2004, 10:22 AM
We had problems like this with a couple of wood racks we have. I started playing with one and figured out a large tongue depressor glued on the inside would tighten the rack perfectly. That worked well but looked wierd. So I cut the rack with a mitersaw and screwed it back together. Works great.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-05-2004, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> ....I cut the rack with a mitersaw and screwed it back together. Works great. <hr /></blockquote>

I'll probly end up doing some type of destructive wood removal /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I'm too pissed off to buy another one right now.

thanx

Tiabin
05-05-2004, 05:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> ....I cut the rack with a mitersaw and screwed it back together. Works great. <hr /></blockquote>

I'll probly end up doing some type of destructive wood removal /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I'm too pissed off to buy another one right now.

thanx <hr /></blockquote>

By destructive you mean reconstructive, right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
05-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Hi Wally,

You know sometimes it's not such a bad thing to shatter something. It's a good release and is good for the mind. Afterwards you can sigh and say, "Oh, what the heck, I'm out but it did feel kinda good." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~wants to shatter a Sardo Gizmo for fun. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
05-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Younger brother, lol I like that! I feel better already. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif