PDA

View Full Version : Let's cleanse the game of pool...

cheesemouse
04-30-2002, 09:25 PM
......women pool players can no longer wear make-up while play as it is distracting. What do you all think /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

~~~the cheese runs to his hole~~~

Rod
04-30-2002, 09:53 PM
Well Cheese, I'm no Knight in shining armor, but I'm glad some of them do wear make up. I dread the thought without.

~anymore room in that hole?

bigalerickson
04-30-2002, 10:05 PM
More importantly low blouses, and high skirts... how am I suppose to concentrate on a jump shot with that walking by???

jk....lol

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 04:38 AM
Good morning:

From what I have seen and learned, through my experiences to date, you would need an acid bath for some of the MALE players if you truely wanted to CLEANSE the sport of pool.

Dr. D.

Rich R.
05-01-2002, 05:36 AM
Hmmmmmmm, Ahhhhhhhhh, on second thought, I don't think I'll comment. Rich R.~~~fears for his life~~~will be seeing the women play this weekend.

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 05:43 AM
Good morning Rich:

I am looking forward to seeing you again when I return to Laurel, MD this weekend. Sharpen your game sir, I am gunning for you !!!

Dr. D.

Rich R.
05-01-2002, 09:37 AM
I can run, but I can not hide. LOL. I'll be sure to bring my case and we will have a rematch.
Rich R.~~~my game changes from sharp to dull in minutes.

MikeM
05-01-2002, 09:51 AM
And tight jeans, please ladies, give us a break!

MM

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 10:10 AM
Good afternoon:

Tight jeans... Is that a request for them or against them ?

Dr. D.

MikeM
05-01-2002, 10:21 AM
FOR......unless you're playing at the table next to me ;>)

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 10:27 AM
Good afternoon:

Trust me, if I were wearing tight jeans at a table next to yours, it would not be the jeans you would be looking at (or more accurately being distracted by).

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

MikeM
05-01-2002, 10:34 AM

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 10:55 AM
Good afternoon Mike:

Did that last post of mine leave you speechless ???

Dr. D.

MikeM
05-01-2002, 11:01 AM
Just starting to tread on VERY dangerous ground. I'm going to try to make it up to Laurel this weekend and I hope to meet you. I will have to try extremely hard now to maintain eye contact!

MM

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 11:14 AM
Good afternoon Mike:

I look forward to meeting you in Laurel.

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Dr. D.

shojingod
05-01-2002, 07:53 PM
Some female players need a more modern image and greater sex appeal. I know we look for the skill but unfortunally looks do count. We want more sponsorship well that's the price we got to pay.

Put a large majority of the male players on extreme diets.

Smoking. get rid of it.

bigalerickson
05-01-2002, 08:26 PM
A year ago I smoked two packs a day. And even then, I hated people who smoked in pool halls and bars. I love to smoke, but even for me at that time, a serious smoker, it was a serious distraction.

I no longer smoke because, well.... I like to be able to walk up stairs and not hyper ventilate. i understand a smoker plight, but get them the hell out of the pool room!!!

There are very few smokers who I would miss. That's right I SAID IT!

bigal - 18 left until finals is over.
- 112 hours until my lesson with Mr. Lee!

shojingod
05-01-2002, 10:33 PM
There this strange mentality that we are taking away there rights to smoke. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif We are making them second class citizens. Sorry that just not fly with me.

It's the non-smoker that have been alienated out of the night life industries. We are always the one that have to endure what they smoke out. We are always the ones that have to socially issolate ourselves in other to be health aware. Enough is enough.

I demand a environment that is as clean as possible. Especially if it is a close environment.

Nobody is putting a gun to a smokers head and saying; "Hey if you don't smoke here we will shoot you." It piss's me off. Especially smokers with that; "It's my right attitude" Hey what about my right to breath. I am a second class regarding my VITAL need. Oh crap it's not like you cannot get your nicotine fix any other way. You got the gum, the patch and at the very worst you can do some abstinence and smoke at home. I never, ever said you cannot smoke.

There is also the thing with business's rights to have smoking like business's now can do whatever they want. You can tell they are naive as hell. I can tell them one thing if they did whatever they wanted the city would shut them down. If the local city decided that second hand smoke is a health risk which it is and they add a clause for the health and safety guideline for business's well your out of luck jack you got to follow it otherwise sooner or later they will padlock your doors or fine you.

I cannot believe a business owner now in these times could not have reflected that cigarette smoke will be considered sooner or later, from there local health office, as a risk and dangerous substance for the public and be banned in business's. Like where the hell have you been. In a coma!

With all the lawsuits in the courts. Business's owners being legally liable for the health problems of past employees that got exposed to second hand smoke. I think there is one regarding American Airline and past employees before the smoking ban. THEY WON IT. We are taking about billions in dollars in public and private legal costs.

I don't know about you but the business's that allow smoking better pray that there employees don't get sick do to second hand smoke or goodbye business.

Any business that would ignore my health for profit deserves to get a lawsuit.

Well that enough venting.

bigalerickson
05-02-2002, 01:49 AM
All they have to do in my opinion is go outside, go to their car, or go to some specific room for smokers. Why, because I want to breathe tomorrow.

Keep pushing for no smoking laws in pool rooms!!!!

bigalerickson

05-03-2002, 03:19 AM
You know what they say......... There is nothing worse than a reformed smoker LOL

Chris Cass
05-03-2002, 08:38 AM
Hi Dr. D.,

Don't know about Mike but, I am. LoL

Regards,

C.C.

rackmup
05-04-2002, 07:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I don't know about you but the business's that allow smoking better pray that there employees don't get sick do to second hand smoke or goodbye business.

Any business that would ignore my health for profit deserves to get a lawsuit.<hr></blockquote>

No one dislikes smoking more than I do. It killed my Father and my Grandfather. I don't like the way it leaves my clothing and hair smelling after 6 hours in a pool room, especially if I have plans after I play. I don't like all of the negative health facts regarding all of the "second-hand smoke" that I am breathing everyday.

Now, with that being said, the day pool room owners put up "NO SMOKING" signs or start receiving summons to appear in court because a non-smoker is suing them, is the day pool rooms start to close and we players, smokers and non-smokers alike, will have no place to play.

The second-hand smoke issue is an interesting one:

Bartenders are not allowed to serve someone who is obviously intoxicated. Why? Because they might kill themselves or someone else on their way home.

Ever see a bartender tell a smoker: "Hey buddy. Don't light that one up. I think you've had enough. Let me call you a breathing machine for a ride home."

OR: "Hey pal, no smoking in here cause you're killing that guy over there and he doesn't like it."

Nope. And you never will.

Smokers have their rights. Plain and simple, if they understand the risks involved with their health and those around them, yet choose to ignore it, it is their right.

Non-Smokers have their rights too. We shouldn't be subjected to the risks of another's "bad habit."

The resolution is two-fold:

Non-smokers can stay away from places that allow smoking. That may not make you happy but if you are that adamant about your health and the fear of the effects of second-hand smoke are that great, don't be a hypocrite...stay away from "smoking" establishments.

Smokers, on the other hand, can choose to avoid those places that DO NOT allow smoking. They will have plenty of other places to go. They may not be happy about having to find "another" place but they must respect the rights of others too.

The answer would be to create a "Non-Smokers" area in every place of business. That way, smokers and non-smokers could exist somewhat peacefully together (and my clothes might not smell as bad and the smoker doesn't have to be subjected to the obvious glares and hand-waving-to-move-the-smoke-from-my-face actions of the non-smokers.

My $.02 on this issue.

Regards,

Ken (non-smoker with wonderful friends that do smoke)

MikeM
05-04-2002, 01:21 PM
There is another option - smokers can choose not to smoke aorund other people. It never ceases to amaze that smokers light up with no apparent consideration of those around them. Just because smoking is allowed somewhere does not mean it is ok to smoke around non-smokers. It should not be a legal issue as much as a personal one. Smokers should be the ones to adapt/stay away. They are the ones who choose to harm themselves and others. Your friends who smoke, if they smoke around you, are totally disrespecting you. Not very friendly.

No Smoking signs are the bartenders way of telling people not to harm the guy next to them. There should be more of them.

There, I've said it. I've tried to stay away from the smoking issue because I have very strong feelings about it. I try to understand the other side of issues, but there really is no logical argument FOR smoking. It kills, it stinks and does not belong in public.

MM ... feeling better but expecting a backlash

shojingod
05-04-2002, 02:37 PM
Nope and never will argument is losing and losing big.

Yes. They have a right to smoke but the location they choose to do can be determined and can be legistlated.

If non-smokers stay away from places that allow smoke for reason of health they would have to issolate themselve from pretty much every night life based industry in 90% of North America. Therefore these individual are being penalised and segregated from services that they have as much rights to as smokers. The only difference is that smoking is a function of choice, not a necessity.

Legislation would not have to be manditory if people cared about the people around them because they would not be smoking but that just not the case. They have no other options but to legislate.

Too bad half and half are not really issolating the air just spreading it. After a hour of full tilt smoking in the smoking area, the non-smoking has as much of a haze.

stickman
05-04-2002, 02:50 PM
Well, I'm now an ex-smoker. I still have very good friends that continue to smoke, and my wife still chooses to smoke. No way the smoking issue is going to come between me and my friendships or my marriage. I can choose to be around smoking or not. My very best friends, that I have played pool with for years, smoke. They're not going to quit smoking and I'm not going to quit playing pool with them. I guess I figure that we're all going to die one way or another, and I'm going to have friends at my funeral. I have never appreciated intolerant people, and don't intend to become intolerant myself.

05-04-2002, 03:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: stickman:</font><hr> I have never appreciated intolerant people, and don't intend to become intolerant myself. <hr></blockquote>

just as an aside, one of our elected officials made an over long speech for cspan on the floor of congress where she went on and on about how she would never ever tolerate, could and would not tolerate,...intolerance.

dan

MikeM
05-04-2002, 05:59 PM
Are you implying that I am intolerant?

MM

stickman
05-04-2002, 06:22 PM
I really don't know you well enough to make that assessment. I'm sure that if you're honest with yourself, you can answer that question for yourself. What I find curious is that it seems that former smokers are some of the most intolerant of all. I'm just making an observation, I have no idea who might be a former smoker, so please don't take this personal. Anyone else ever notice this trend?

SPetty
05-04-2002, 07:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: stickman:</font><hr> Anyone else ever notice this trend? <hr></blockquote>The trend that former smokers are more intolerant of smokers than never-smokers?

Absolutely not.

Never-smokers, as a whole, are tremendously much more intolerant of smokers, mostly because they don't understand what it's like to be a smoker or to have been a smoker.

I still consider myself a "non-practicing" smoker. Haven't smoked for over 10 years now. Still want to, although the frequency is down to maybe once or twice a week, not every day like it used to be. However, it's a choice for me now, and I will choose to not smoke again.

Just as when I did smoke, I do get annoyed at those smokers that are the ones that give smokers a bad name. There are many many considerate smokers, but just a few that cause non-smoking people to label all smokers as inconsiderate. I would suspect that oh, 99% of smokers won't get on an elevator with a lit cigarette. But just that one ruins it for everyone and gives all smokers a bad reputation.

Ditto with those smokers who empty their car ashtrays on the road while waiting for the red light. Giving smokers a bad name. Ditto those smokers who drop the lit butt on the ground rather than walk the 10 feet to the proper butt disposal receptacle.

Now something that I see far too often is smokers that throw lit cigarette butts out of their moving vehicles. I can't condone littering, and I can understand not wanting to have that stinking butt in your vehicle, but can't you at least wait until it burns itself out before tossing it out of the window?

Smoking is legal and acceptable in pool halls. (Had to say something pool-related...) I would frequent a non-smoking pool hall if there were one in or near this city.

stickman
05-04-2002, 07:56 PM
I didn't mean all former smokers are that way, but some of the more radical ones I've run across are former smokers. I find this rather curious, because as you say, you would think they would have a better understanding of the addiction the smoker has. My mother is a former smoker and is about as radical an anti-smoking person as you'll ever find. LOL She figures if she quit, everyone should. I laugh to hear her and Dad talk about how they just threw the cigarettes away and quit. I guess their memory doesn't serve them as well as mine. I was just a kid, but I remember seeing Dad sneaking around outside to smoke, and found where they hid their cigarettes from each other. It took Dad forever to quit. LOL

Barbara
05-05-2002, 09:04 AM
About ten years ago my sinuses starting going downhill. I was getting infections every 6 months or so. And I was smoking about 1 1/2 packs a day. It got to the point where I couldn't wear perfume anymore or be around people that bathed in the stuff. But I was still smoking.

When I quit 2 1/2 years ago, I started getting my sense of smell back. I realized how much smoking stunk. My mother told me that I would probably have fewer occurrences of infection, but when I got them, they would be really bad. She was right. And now that I can smell the roses again, I can no longer tolerate the smell of cigarette smoke. My bar league is finally over and next year I will not even be on a roster.

It is probably my intolerance of the smell that will keep me from being tempted to smoke again.

Barbara~~~just waiting for the hubby to quit...

cheesemouse
05-05-2002, 09:14 AM
Congrads on being a non-smoker. I myself quit three plus years ago after 40 years, it was the nicest thing I have done for myself. Unlike you I have been known to walk up to complete strangers and ask them to blow smoke in my face. Sometimes the smell of a good cigar is like over powering. I will never smoke again. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

stickman
05-05-2002, 10:03 AM
Barbara, I'm glad you quit. I'm glad I quit also. I know that some folks have very good reason to be somewhat intolerant. My Dad has asthma and would get sick everytime he went to the donut shop and drank coffee and visited with his friends. He continued to go until he just couldn't do it any longer. If it weren't physically impossible for him, he'd still be going.

SPetty
05-05-2002, 10:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cheesemouse:</font><hr> Unlike you I have been known to walk up to complete strangers and ask them to blow smoke in my face. <hr></blockquote>HAHAHA - I've done that too, although maybe not complete strangers...

There's nothing like the smell of a freshly lit cigarette outside on a cool clear morning...

MikeM
05-05-2002, 08:51 PM
Dr. D,

I missed you in Laurel. I couldn't make it until this morning. Looks like you just missed making it to Sunday. Great showing in the tourney. At your pace you'll be on top in no time. I did get to meet Carol and Rich R. and Holly of the CAT Tour. Great people. Carol, I love the hair! Saw some great pool too. Had to leave before the final between Kim Shaw and Linda Shea was over. Linda looked unbeatable though. Does anyone know who won yet?

Guess I'll have to wait 'til next month in Arlington to see you in your jeans D!

MM

shojingod
05-07-2002, 01:34 PM
Non-smokers are the most tolerant. We have been tolerant for years until they found out that are health is getting screwed. Now that's the limit of our tolerance.

You want to screw up your health and die fine but don't take me with you and don't isolate me out of services I have as much rights to have as you.

You want to smoke. Fine. Smoke at home but once you are in public why can you not be tolerant and respectfull for the others around you and curve your habit out of respect. This choice has no isolating factors what so ever.

Hey, it's like the gym near me that tell it customers not to wear strong perfume out of respect of people with asthma and breathing problems. People don't seemed to mind. They are not calling out bloody murder that there rights to wear perfume is violated because they know they can wear perfume when they are not in the gym. Out of respect people don't put strong perfumes. Why can't smokers be as respectfull!

Put the years to the calculation and non-smokers have been very tolerant and paying it with there health.

What is so wrong for smokers not to be able to smoke in public commercial places yet be allowed to smoke at home? What? I would really like an answer for this in a solid list. Something clear and direct why smoking should be allowed.

We got lists and lists why smoking should not be allowed.

Well here is the challenge.

Why smoking should be allowed? Put some facts behind it. P.S Something that would hold if it was legally binding.

MikeM
05-07-2002, 03:22 PM
I've stayed away from this one for a few days because I was getting a bit hot under the collar. Shojingod's post today got me started again.

Just for the record I have never smoked a (tobacco ;&gt;) cigarette in my life. Both my parents smoked as I was growing up, many friends got caught up in the habit as well, but somehow I was able to resist the peer pressure and never even tried one. Not looking for kudos here, just wanted to let you know my perspective.

I agree with Shojin that non-smokers , especially in pool halls have to be about the MOST tolerant people on earth. Every time someone lights up around me, I want to scream, "PUT IT OUT!". I never have. I just continue to tolerate it. What choice do I have really? Any time you try to voice your objection to smoking you get labeled - anti-smoker, liberal, intolerant or worse. Smokers tend to get very defensive and feel that you are attacking them. I am not. I don't think any more or less of people based on whether they smoke or not. I still have plenty of friends (and pool teammates) that smoke. I understand the addiction, but don't sympathize. I just want to be able to breathe while I play pool.

That's why I get so ticked off when I hear or read, "if you don't like the smoke, don't go to the pool hall (or bar, restaurant, etc.). If there were a non-smoking pool hall in my area i would play there in a heartbeat. There isn't. I go back to my point in my earlier post, the smokers should be the ones to leave or stay away or smoke elsewhere.

As I approach 40, I am becoming more concerned with my health. I've done plenty over the years to harm my own body and don't need any help from outsiders. A buddy I shoot pool with at lunchtime recently told me he had to give up league and tournament play due to the poor condition of his heart and the effects of second hand smoke on it. I'm sure everyone has heard a similar story.

The last exchange in this forum on this topic led to some smokers saying that they would try to not smoke around others while they were playing pool. I hope that spreads.

MM

stickman
05-07-2002, 03:43 PM
Yes Mike, I am the one who said he would try not to smoke at the pool hall. Since then I have quit. I don't see anything wrong with smoking being banned in public places. The only thing I would disagree with would be banning smoking all together. I would agree with you on the tolerance issue. Some of the most radical anti-smokers I've ever ran across were ex-smokers.

stickman
05-07-2002, 03:58 PM
To be honest, if smoking were banned in public places I wouldn't have any problem with it, even if I were still smoking. (I quit) Smoking is already banned in most public places, and pretty much all work places. The attitude of most smokers is that if it's allowed, they'll smoke. Until smoking is banned in public places, I'll tolerate the smoke of my friends I play pool with. I'm not too concerned about second hand smoke. If thirty five years of my own smoking didn't kill me, I'm not going to worry about second hand smoke now. The only thing that gets my dander up is those who want to ban smoking altogether. Granted, it's not good for anybody, but I don't see the need to make it illegal if it's not affecting anyone but the user. I mean there are people who want to stop a person from being able to smoke in their own home or outdoors.

Barbara
05-07-2002, 04:35 PM
Congrats to you for quitting!! I know how hard it can be and I hope you stick to it!

Barbara

stickman
05-07-2002, 04:42 PM
Thanks, Barbara. I finally got the inspiration I needed. The doctors told me they wouldn't even consider giving me a kidney transplant if I didn't quit smoking. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

MikeM
05-07-2002, 05:39 PM
I echo the congrats Stick and hope that's the toughest part on your road to better health!

MM

shojingod
05-08-2002, 12:06 PM
I am saying this because people are crying about the bans.

In lot of places is not banned YET but as time goes along most will start banning it.

They are banning it because of many reasons.

What tick me off is people attitudes towards the issue. The people that are for the smoking have stupid, dumb excuses that would not hold any possible power in reversing a ban.

If you can prove that smoking is not a health risk then take your best shot. You can't because it is a health risk.

They believe that these bans should not be allowed because they feel that cigarette smoke must have a risk level of 100%. Nothing has a risk level of 100% except arsenic.

What is the common sense in all of this. Are they freaken retarded.

My attitude is this if you are a non-smoker and you know that second hand smoke is bad for you and you do not try in a democratic way to make changes in your community through promotions, through word of mouth and you take the second hand smoke issue like; "Well it's always ways been that way. Well some people may not like it. Well that's just the way it is." and you get sick. TOO BAD.

Being active for ones health is not just watching what you eat and jogging it is also the one civil ignitiative to make changes as much as you can that will help promote a healthy environment.

I support with every part of my being anti-smoking legislation in public, private business's any location that is close and open to the public. Why because I don't want to be issolated out of these services and my health is the most important thing in my life. It is life. You can have everything else but if you do not have your health you have nothing.

I have patiently taking as many other have done the fact that there are business that if I want to enjoy I must breath in smoke. I accept it for the time being but I don't support it, want it or care for it. That's why these laws are coming out because the 65 to 75% of the population want to make the changes so that the business in there area reflect there needs not the needs of few. The business's must RESPECT there health and not let the bottom line affect it.

To business that don't like these laws and don't want to follow them then close your doors and get the hell out. We will have people that will come over sooner or later and be very willing to follow them. Simple as that.

P.S.
I don't go to bars or any other business that has smoking. The only exception is the billiard hall but that, in my local community, will change in a year when smoking will be banned in pool halls. As much as I like pool and the pool halls management and owners that supply the environment I would not have any problem nailing them to door if they violate the law. Why because in my mind they are not just violating the law but also violating me in a way. They are saying to me that they don't give a crap about my health and I consider my health valuable as should each and every one of you.

cheesemouse
05-08-2002, 01:29 PM
shojingod,
You wear me out man.........

05-08-2002, 02:09 PM
Bravo!!!! Unbelievably well said!!!! The day that smoking is completely banned in all public buildings will be a very good day indeed!!!

I don't play pool on weekend nights. I don't take my daughter to the pool room (even tho she wants VERY much to learn to play). I suffer through my league night (then run home to shower because I stink). NOT FAIR!!!! What about my right to AIR? Excuse me, smokers, but SCREW YOUR RIGHT TO IMPOSE YOUR SMOKE ON ME!!!! You may have a right to do as you wish in your own space but you do not have a right to smoke around ME.

I am glad to know there are others out there that feel as strongly about this as I do. Thank you, Shojingod, for being honest and speaking your mind. I hear you and I hope a lot of smokers hear you too!

Vicki
05-08-2002, 02:14 PM
Sorry, forgot to log in for post on 5/8 at 4:09 pm. My name is Vicki. I don't want to be accused of posting annonymously in order to avoid having to defend my point of view.

Vicki
05-08-2002, 02:33 PM
Quitting smoking is an enormous achievement. It was very difficult for me to quit. It took almost a year before I gave it up completely and it has been almost 2 years since my last smoke. Of all the things I have accomplished, quitting is the thing I am most proud of because it was so hard and because I feel it was such a good choice. I hope you feel the same way because it feels pretty damn good! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

shojingod
05-09-2002, 12:18 PM
Sorry, I am very pro-active on this subject.

Some people hate my guts. Some people love me to death. Oh well; "Que sera, sera!"

Like they say in French;
" Mes actions sont à la limite de mes pensées mais mes pensées seront jamais à la limite de mes actions. "