PDA

View Full Version : #77

wolfdancer
05-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Found this post on the CPN message board. The post was submitted by Monty (Montgomery) Burns...age 102
BE SAFE!!
Lauren was 19 yr. old and in college. This story takes place over the Christmas/New Year's holiday break. It was the Saturday before New Year's and it was about 1PM in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend.

An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lights on.

Lauren's parents have 4 children (high school and college age)and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a gas station, etc., so Lauren had actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly called #77 on her cell phone to tell the police dispatcher that she would not pull over right away.

She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her. The dispatcher checked to see if there were police cars where she was and there weren't and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back up already on the way. Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her.

One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind.

They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground....the man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.

I never knew about the #77 Cell Phone Feature, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car.

Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a "safe place." You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them (i.e. put on your hazard lights) or call #77 like Lauren did.

Too bad the cell phone companies don't give you this little bit of wonderful information. So now it's your turn to let your friends know about #77.

Send this to every woman you know, it may save their life!

P.S. I just called #77 on my cell phone and the local dispatch officer answered. I told her I had just received this e-mail and wanted to verify the facts before I sent it on. She said,
"Yes, Ma'am. That is correct." #77".

Haven't checked this out myself.....

Wally_in_Cincy
05-05-2004, 11:44 AM
A couple of years ago a young feller from Hamiltucky signed on as a volunteer firefighter. A few days later he was cut off by an absent-minded driver. The young firefighter whipped out his official firefighter's red light and pulled the other car over.

It turned out the guy he pulled over was a judge /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think he did 10 days.

SPetty
05-05-2004, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Found this post on the CPN message board.<hr /></blockquote>What's a CPN message board?<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>Haven't checked this out myself.....<hr /></blockquote>Then what's the purpose of the post?

If it's a reminder that bad men rapists sometimes masquerade as non-rapists, I think we know that. I don't object to the reminder, though.

If it's to suggest that if we're in trouble we should use #77 on our phone, that's not really a good idea.

I researched this awhile back when I first heard it. That shortcut works in some states, and other states have other shortcuts. However, #911 is still your best bet as it works almost universally throughout the states.

nAz
05-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Excellent tip dude.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> The post was submitted by Monty (Montgomery) Burns...age 102
<hr /></blockquote>

LOL i thought you were talking about the Simpsons! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
05-05-2004, 01:08 PM
10 days for the judge or the young kid?

wolfdancer
05-05-2004, 06:31 PM
What's the purpose of the post?
I'm not sure; maybe I just wanted to waste your valuable time
BUT...does everybody that posts here check out each item for authenticity, that they come across, and think it might be of interest, or use, to someone else on the board?
Seems like I've seen a few "cop" shows where a woman was raped, or killed, by someone posing as a police officer.
AND the CPN board is just a message board for folks interested in the fortunes of Calpine Energy...
A better question might be...why is a 102 yr old man, investing in stocks?
Petty...how apropos

SPetty
05-06-2004, 07:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>..maybe I just wanted to waste your valuable time
Petty...how apropos<hr /></blockquote>no no no, I didn't mean to sound attitudinal. I was just curious as to the intent. Sorry 'bout that. I don't want anyone who's in trouble to waste valuable time trying to dial #77 when #911 is so much of a better choice.