PDA

View Full Version : Internet and the Riviera

Steve Lipsky
05-06-2004, 07:36 AM
Hi everyone. For those of you going to the Riviera next week, how do you plan to access the internet? I have called the hotel, and of course they do not have high-speed access in the rooms (it's only the 21st century).

I know they have some kind of internet cafe/business center, but from what I remember, it was small and very expensive.

A friend suggested I can use dial-up from the room, but the Riviera has been known to charge usurious rates for phone service. I'm a little concerned about the potential bill.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

SPetty
05-06-2004, 08:25 AM
Hi Steve,

You are correct on all counts.

When I was there last year, I pretended that my room rate was $10 more per night than it was, and that allowed me the mental freedom to use the dialup service. Which is very expensive. I think an hour of phone time is less than $10. Mind games - gotta love 'em.

breakup
05-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Yaa couple of years ago a guy on my team was a workaholic attorney. He would spend lots of time keeping up with his email every day. The wind up is when he went to check out he had a $2000 phone bill. The person that set up the email/internet on his laptop put in the local access number in Alaska rather than the 1-800 number to his service provider, so he was paying Rivera long distance charges all the time ! The Rivera did work with him though so I dont remember what he said he ended up paying. Careful!

Fred Agnir
05-06-2004, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Hi everyone. For those of you going to the Riviera next week, how do you plan to access the internet? <hr /></blockquote>Anyone know if there's a wireless hotspot?

Fred

larrynj1
05-06-2004, 01:11 PM
fred, i found one, purely by accident, of course, right outside the crazy horse gentlemenn's club.

Steve Lipsky
05-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Thanks all. Guess I'm a little out of luck. I'm sure I'll find something to occupy my time anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

- Steve

Nostroke
05-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Right down the street (The Peppercorn side)is a one hour photo shop (Fuji?) They have 3 PC's and u pay upfront for a password good til u finish your time - I think it was $12 hr and u can come back multiple times over multiple days to use up your time.

Whatever you do anyone- Do not use those Internet Machines in the lobby of the Riviera- They charge by the minute and are designed so that even Bill Gates would have trouble using them. They are so slow that you would easily spend $6 and not be able to check your Email completely. Take the 1 block walk to Fuji (Hopefully its still there) No complainst about that place.

superstroke
05-06-2004, 02:51 PM
You better just focus up and leave your laptop at home. I'll be their looking for guys with tired eyes.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-07-2004, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote superstroke:</font><hr> You better just focus up and leave your laptop at home. I'll be their looking for guys with tired eyes. <hr /></blockquote>

Don't look too hard for Steve Lipsky. You may find him in your bracket. Be careful what you wish for.

Wally~~likes to embarass Steve /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
05-07-2004, 07:09 AM
Hi Wally,

Now now my friend. We don't want to knock any action for Steve. After all, he might be the one buying the beer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ be careful what you Woof for. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chris Cass
05-07-2004, 07:14 AM
S.S., Please don't make me agree with BW.

Regards,

C.C.~~why do so many people, want to run into a freight train? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Steve Lipsky
05-07-2004, 07:44 AM
Wally and Chris,

Who knew a simple question about internet access in the Riviera would lead to this? lol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Steve &lt;--- looking forward to gambling on most gamble-able things for a good 11 days

Pizza Bob
05-07-2004, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
Don't look too hard for Steve Lipsky. You may find him in your bracket. Be careful what you wish for.
<hr /></blockquote>

ROTFLMAO

integra707
05-09-2004, 01:58 PM
There is an internet cafe near the UNLV campus, it's more for people playing games, but it's only like $3 an hour I think.

Another idea would be; using the T-Mobile hotspots in Starbucks. I think it's something like $10 for all day usage. I can't remember.

CarolNYC
05-10-2004, 03:06 AM
Steve,
Contact Dr. Diana Sorrentino!
Ding-ding-ding!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

St Paul Gal
05-10-2004, 12:03 PM
We gonna hook up for some games at the Riv, SPetty?

Jimmy B
05-10-2004, 01:10 PM
When I was there 2 years ago there were internet vending things right outside the mini room, it was like 10 minutes for $3 or something, but it was long enough to check some e-mails.

JB

rocky
05-10-2004, 03:29 PM
they are still there but alot of the time they use that area to sell t shirts in now and close down the internet machines.

SPetty
05-10-2004, 04:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote St Paul Gal:</font><hr> We gonna hook up for some games at the Riv, SPetty? <hr /></blockquote>Hey St Paul Gal, good to hear from you. I'm skipping Vegas this year so that I can attend the US Open in Virginia in September. (something about working for a living and limited vacation time off...) Dang - I'd have loved to hook up with you again.

Any chance you're going to be able to make it to the US Open? Otherwise, let's make plans for May, 2005 in Vegas! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KingofCrown
05-11-2004, 07:54 AM
im luckily going to be in vegas next week 14th-18th, vacation/gambling and it was a suprise to hear about the billiards tourney going on. I would definetly like to attend but does anyone have an idea on the price of the tickets to watch? Or is it already sold out?

SPetty
05-11-2004, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KingofCrown:</font><hr>I would definately like to attend but does anyone have an idea on the price of the tickets to watch?<hr /></blockquote> http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/9ballpro/ticketinfo2004.shtml

St Paul Gal
05-12-2004, 08:37 AM
Don't know yet - Again, it's the money thing.

I would like to get out more to things like the US Open and Valley Forge.

How's the big table game coming?

terrymck
05-16-2004, 02:50 PM
I think there is a Starbucks nearby, and that is a hotspot. Also, there are wireless signals all over Las Vegas. Pick up a freeware program that monitors available signals, if you don't already have it. I don't know names for PC's, but for Mac the easiest is Macstumbler. Good luck. I wish I were there.

cuechick
05-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Here is what I did, I just went to the Apple store in the mall, checked my mail for free...! It's a bit of a hike, but theres a starbucks, and a frapachino made it all worth it.
Sorry, I won't make it out there, have fun!

justbrake
05-16-2004, 05:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Hi everyone. For those of you going to the Riviera next week, how do you plan to access the internet? <hr /></blockquote>Anyone know if there's a wireless hotspo

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Starbucks