PDA

View Full Version : My first trip to State.

Ralph S.
04-30-2002, 11:22 PM
I have never competed in a state tournament before until this year. I am leaving Thursday evening and play begins in Indianapolis at 8:00 A.M. Friday morning. It should be an exciting event and I am looking forward to it. I will be playing in singles and team events. If anyone from CCB has participated in these before, maybe you could give me some insight as what to expect. Thanks.
Ralph S.

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 04:36 AM
Good morning:

Congratulations and the best of luck. As far as advice is concerend, all I would suggest is to play your game and not worry about who your opponent is. When I entered my first WPBA Regional Tour Tournament, after playing pool for all of 3 months, my goal was to have fun, learn and not embarass myself.

Have fun !!!

Dr. D.

05-01-2002, 10:45 AM
Good luck and have fun. I have participated in several state tourneys. The first ones I went to I was very nervous and my stomach became upset. I thought it might so I took some antacids with me. I also take some tylenol with me in case I get a headache or neck ache as some tourneys tend to last quite a while at that level and the waiting can be more stressful than playing. I was also driving to the tourney the morning of the tourney which was about a 250 mile drive, by the time I got there my nerves were shot from the drive anyway. I changed that by arriving the night before, getting a good nights sleep and then showing up ready to go. You said you wee leaving on Thurssay, and that the best way to do it in my opinion. Have fun, relax, hopefully you will know a few people and hopefully you will not. I tend to play better against players that I dont know. Just relax, have fun, learn something from someone, teach someone something, show good sportsmanship and you will have a day to remember. Good luck

nmshooter

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 10:51 AM
Good afternoon:

Extra Stength Tylenol, as well as Mortin and Advil, are standard items in my cue case

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D,

Chris Cass
05-01-2002, 09:29 PM
Hi Ralph,

Never attended a state event before. I've heard it nothing but a big party. I took a pass on IA. this yr. They had $1. plug tables and not a lot of money added. Also, a lot of drinking and partying. I also heard they played on cement floors and it was rather chilly. Don't know for sure just going by "he said, she said."

In any event, make a good time out of it and you'll do well. I sure hope you do good but remember one thing. Not always the best player wins. Unless there from the CCB. Make a smash for me........wouldn't be a bad idea to call an early night and play fresh the next morning....

Regards,

C.C.~~if you get nervous, breath...LOL

Ralph S.
05-02-2002, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the advice from all.
Ralph S.

Rod
05-02-2002, 03:15 AM
Ralph, just go up and play. Everyone is probably as keyed up as you are. Your not the only one to feel a rush here.
You'll do just fine, and if you don't just chalk it up to experience and learn from that experience. My thoughts are whats the worst that can happen? Well it won't be near as bad as what's already happened at critical points in your life! It's a game and nothing more, other than you want to be the winner, my thoughts. Be prepared well in advance, and I'm not talking just about practice. It's a tall order but stay calm cool and collected, including eye contact, the hand shake, and your emotions during the game, "win or lose". I won't go into detail here but you can't begin to imagine what an effect this can have on your opponent. Your not playing for fun, this is real. You can have fun afterwards. You can bet the person that wins this was well prepared mental and physical. I could make it more hard core but I think you should get my jest. Kill Kill no prisoners, direct line of focus. Oops got carried away!
BTW I did win my first state championship.