PDA

View Full Version : Dubya is a nice guy

Wally_in_Cincy
05-06-2004, 10:52 AM
http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/05/06/hug.jpg

In a moment largely unnoticed by the throngs of people in Lebanon waiting for autographs from the president of the United States, George W. Bush stopped to hold a teenager's head close to his heart.

Lynn Faulkner, his daughter, Ashley, and their neighbor, Linda Prince, eagerly waited to shake the president's hand Tuesday at the Golden Lamb Inn. He worked the line at a steady campaign pace, smiling, nodding and signing autographs until Prince spoke:
"This girl lost her mom in the World Trade Center on 9-11."

Bush stopped and turned back.

"He changed from being the leader of the free world to being a father, a husband and a man," Faulkner said. "He looked right at her and said, 'How are you doing?' He reached out with his hand and pulled her into his chest."
Faulkner snapped one frame with his camera.

"I could hear her say, 'I'm OK,' " he said. "That's more emotion than she has shown in 21/2 years. Then he said, 'I can see you have a father who loves you very much.' "

"And I said, 'I do, Mr. President, but I miss her mother every day.' It was a special moment."

short story (http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/05/06/loc_moment06.html)

Singlemalt
05-06-2004, 11:07 AM
This is just another great story of the man he is.

I remember reading something similar during the space shuttle Columbia disaster. He was sitting there during the funeral service beside one of the wives who was obviously very upset and crying. President Bush without ever raising his head just takes his handkerchief and hands it over to the lady. It may seem very simple, but our previous president would have never done that without ensuring that a camera was close enough to capture an image for him.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-06-2004, 11:16 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Remember Clinton at Ron Brown's funeral? He went from yuk-yuk mode to tear-wiping mode as soon as he saw the camera /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Singlemalt
05-06-2004, 11:19 AM
Exactly, I remember it very well.

Nightstalker
05-06-2004, 11:56 AM
This is part of the reason why I like the man as our president. He shows compassion, character, and heart; qualities of a true leader.