PDA

View Full Version : ok, I just bought my first pool cue...

DaSwede
05-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Hi I'm new /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

anyways, I just bought a lucasi l-el, and I have never bought a cue before in my life, i jsut usually use house cues sadly enought... anyways, What is the best way to prepare the tip for play?
any help is appreciated...

moblsv
05-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Good choice on cues.

try this thread and see if it helps
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=128649&Forum=cc b

Troy
05-06-2004, 10:22 PM
The half-pipe of PVC suggested by Sid is a great idea and works just fine. The idea is first, get the "glaze" of the factory tip so it will hold chalk, and second, get a radius YOU like. Many shooters prefer either a nickel or a dime radius. You can use a piece of sandpaper (anywhere from 60 to 120 grit) held in your palm to shape the tip, but some folks are uncomfortable doing the shaping by hand.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DaSwede:</font><hr> Hi I'm new /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

anyways, I just bought a lucasi l-el, and I have never bought a cue before in my life, i jsut usually use house cues sadly enought... anyways, What is the best way to prepare the tip for play?
any help is appreciated... <hr /></blockquote>

Jimmy B
05-07-2004, 02:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DaSwede:</font><hr> Hi I'm new /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just bought a lucasi l-el, and I have never bought a cue before <hr /></blockquote>

Take care of it, it will last a long time and it will take care of you. Don't lean the cue against the table or a flat wall, always lay it flat on the table when you rack and don't blame the cue when you miss.

JB

woody_968
05-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Congrats /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I remember the feeling I had when I got my first nice cue, its great!!

Good luck with your game and welcome to the boards.

DaSwede
05-08-2004, 12:05 PM
It will be here on tuesday!! I cant wait to go play

Wally_in_Cincy
05-08-2004, 12:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DaSwede:</font><hr> It will be here on tuesday!! I cant wait to go play <hr /></blockquote>

There are very few things as beautiful as the UPS truck stopping in front of the house /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW you can shape your tip with a Cue Cube or an Ultimate Tip Tool.

PoOn
05-08-2004, 01:58 PM
take care of the wrap i just heard that they come loose after a while

JJHolmquist
05-09-2004, 05:12 AM
Just curious if everyone here is against products like the Ultimate Tip Tool. I know its known that it can cause scratches on the ferrule for some of its uses, I only use mine for shaping.

It DOES give a pretty nice nickel or dime radius. Seems like it would take a lot off of the tip if overused, but I usually only use it once to shape, and after that just my Tip Pic to ruff it up and its worked great for me.

Anything wrong with using this product for shaping?

mworkman
05-09-2004, 07:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JJHolmquist:</font><hr> Just curious if everyone here is against products like the Ultimate Tip Tool. I know its known that it can cause scratches on the ferrule for some of its uses, I only use mine for shaping.

It DOES give a pretty nice nickel or dime radius. Seems like it would take a lot off of the tip if overused, but I usually only use it once to shape, and after that just my Tip Pic to ruff it up and its worked great for me.

Anything wrong with using this product for shaping? <hr /></blockquote>

No. I think it works great for shaping. I use the dime side. I also use it for scuffing by using very light pressure with the other side. I just think you need to be extremely carefull if you are going to try to shave off the sides of your tip with it.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-10-2004, 06:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> No. I think it works great for shaping.

<font color="blue">I use the nickel side. I think it works great. I sometimes use the tapper. It works ok on my Elk Master tips but it might not do as good on a hard tip. </font color>
... I just think you need to be extremely carefull if you are going to try to shave off the sides of your tip with it.

<font color="blue">That's for sure. Fortunately my mistake was made on a cheap cue. I was going to give it to a teammate and I was trying to get the tip in good condition. Somebody had done a crappy re-tipping on it.

I doubt he noticed the scratched ferrule. I don't even think the guy plays anymore. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Scott Lee
05-10-2004, 04:52 PM
The half-round plastic shaper comes with sandpaper strips, and costs about $2 from Mueller, or others. You can spend any amount of money on aftermarket products like the Ultimate Tool, et al. All you really need is a $.50 piece of sandpaper. For the average player, you cannot make the tip too round. Doesn't matter if it's a 'nickle' or 'dime' radius, unless you use a very small diameter shaft. Round hits round...flat does not hit round! LOL Like others said, just sand off the glaze from the top of the tip, and it will be ready to use. BTW, I NEVER do ANYTHING to my tips...EVER!...no sanding, picking, shaping, tooling, etc. They shape themselves, once they are prepared from being installed on the cue. I play every day, and I break with my playing cue! JMO

Scott Lee