PDA

View Full Version : Initial 314 impressions

Nightstalker
05-07-2004, 07:17 AM
Here are some of the things I noticed last night when I first played with the 314 shaft.

1. The hit feels very different, kind of tough to describe but it doesn't feel quite as solid to me as my Fury shaft. As far as feel goes I rate my Fury shaft a B+ and the 314 a C. I do however believe that the feel is something that I can adjust to in time. Right now it just feels kind of awkward.

2. The performance is incredible, A+! When I use one tip low I get as much draw with the 314/LePro as when I hit two or more tips low with the Fury shaft/Moori tip combo. When I go ahead and hit very low on the cue ball the draw is much more than I am accustomed to, and I like it lol. I just have to get used to the increased spin.

3. As far as the intangibles I would say the 314 is great. The ferrule-tip fit and finish are very nice. The shaft is smooth and looks very uniform. Seybert's did a great job with the joint install, it looks OEM.

4. Overall, just after one night of playing, I rate it B+. The feel is a bit weird to me right now but the performance is superb even in my hands lol. I used some side english on the ball and intentionally did not adjust the line of aim and each time I did that the ball was potted. I know with the Fury shaft when I did that the ball was not potted. This is a big difference, and one that I think once I tune myself to the shaft characteristics will help my game.

pooltchr
05-07-2004, 09:00 AM
I would be interested to know why you feel the shaft is what is giving you more draw. I can see where a different tip might have an effect to a degree, but I have always thought draw comes from the speed and spin imparted with a player's stroke more than a particular shaft. Does this shaft do something to the cue ball that your other shaft doesn't? Most shafts I use don't do anything at all, unless I tell it to through my stroke. What do you think could be the difference in the shaft that gives the cue ball more draw? I'm not trying to be a smart a**...I really would like to hear your thoughts on this.
Steve

Nightstalker
05-07-2004, 09:41 AM
I simply do not have to use as much effort to get the desired amount of movement on the cue ball, I am not exactly sure as to why. I was playing with a weighted bar box cue ball and was able to more easily control it with the 314 shaft as opposed to the Fury shaft. I do not think I was doing anything different with my technique.

PoOn
05-08-2004, 02:07 PM
have you tried the z shaft? i would like to know how that feels after hearing how the 314 feels since the z shaft is supposed ta be an upgrade to the 314

Nightstalker
05-08-2004, 04:54 PM
No I have not used a Z shaft. It has a more conical taper and a 11.75mm diameter vs. 12.75mm for the 314.

Sid_Vicious
05-08-2004, 05:09 PM
file:///G|/WEI/pooltable2/pooltable2.html

If you want to test the shaft, shoot this side pocket shot. The extreme side at the CB edge endangered with the deflection factor(or lack of in the 314), will make a believer out of you(IMO.) I have a very quality shaft on a custom which can finesse that shot in well, and I found that my 314 was the other shaft that does it for me out of all of my various cues. I personally would still shoot with my custom in dense competition, but that's only because I like the cue itself better. If I needed to borrow someones cue and they had a 314...that'd be my individual choice cuz I know that shaft will play my "sheath of shots" like my favorite, no matter the butt it's on...sid

START(
%A[8W6%Pl7W8%eC9a5

)END

RedHell
05-08-2004, 07:31 PM
I have know evidence of the following but it could be what makes a difference.

From my understanding, the longer the tip is in contact with the cue ball the more spin is transfered. Now if that information is correct a softer tip and a softer ferrule would get a longer tip/cueball contact. I know the 314 has a very soft ferrule (try to make a jump shot with it and you see), and the lepro could be softer that the Moori tip he uses. So the softer tip/ferrule combination could apply more spin for the same stroke.

Just my 2 cents...

Nightstalker
05-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Neil Fujiwara gave his comments on this issue of getting more draw:

The faster the tip is pushed aside when using any English, the more spin it puts on the ball.
Spin is spin, regardless of what axis it is rotating on.