PDA

View Full Version : What is the Coolest...?

Fred Agnir
05-07-2004, 01:15 PM
... pool and/or billiard related thingy you own? Collectible or otherwise.

I can think of a few things.

Winning One-Pocket by Eddie Robin
Pro Cup Aramith Cueball
The Billiard Encyclopedia
Pool-related trading cards
A little hinged ceramic pool table given to me by a student.

Fred <~~~ and a few other things as well

Barbara
05-07-2004, 01:24 PM
My cue.

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
05-07-2004, 01:26 PM
how about a pool-themed picture frame /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

maybe not the coolest but unusual

kathy put a pic of her and her late father in it since he's the one who taught her to play

Barbara
05-07-2004, 01:28 PM
The set of Brunswick Centenniels that were used in the finals of the 1967 U.S. Open with which Jimmy Caras beat Luther Lassiter twice to win the event.

And the box they came in on which Jimmy inscribed "Last of the Centenniels".

Barbara

Cueless Joey
05-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Efren's Linds cue. He used for a short time.
Efren's Gabriel's Open Trophy won last year.
The Billiard Encyclopedia.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-07-2004, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> The set of Brunswick Centenniels that were used in the finals of the 1967 U.S. Open with which Jimmy Caras beat Luther Lassiter twice to win the event.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Gulp. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Hard to top that.

I heard former champion George Rood up in Dayton has the table Mosconi ran 526 on

Nightstalker
05-07-2004, 01:38 PM
It isn't much but my Fury NR-1/Predator 314 shaft is my coolest thing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Eric.
05-07-2004, 01:40 PM
My first cue- a blue unlabeled pool cue from Kmart. It has blue string(not Irish Linen)for a wrap and a fiber(not leather) tip. I'm gonna bury it and in 10,000 years, it will be priceless.

Eric

9 Ball Girl
05-07-2004, 01:49 PM
in no particular order:

1. my autographed Pool Hall Junkies poster
2. an autographed 2004 Pros of Puerto Rico calendar
3. my Play Your Best 9 Ball book with inscriptions in it to me from Tony R. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
4. a miniature pool table given to me back in '92
5. an autographed 2003 Mosconi Cup program

there are some more but these are the best ones...

armandito
05-07-2004, 01:50 PM
A piece of "furniture" I'm finishing.

I designed it, and my wife's grandfather made it (he works with cabinetry, and has built several pieces of furniture I designed -including my bar-). This helped me save on space and $$$.

It is a combination dartboard cabinet-cue stick rack and balls holder. It is about 50"x50".

It is designed to be hung as a single piece, but can be taken apart into three different and very portable pieces.

It can hold an electronic or standard size dartboard, and accessories, plus eight cues and two full sets of balls. It has hangers for both 8 and 9 ball racks and two drawers to hold miscellaneous items, like chalk, brushes, etc.

The best "added feature" is that to play darts you need to open several light doors o panels that protect the cues and balls from being hit with darts.

I will post a picture once it is finished. Like I said, I am working on it. I stained it to match my Brunswick table, and am on the third coat of varnish.

rocky
05-07-2004, 02:17 PM
four cue balls
1 johny archer signed
2 francisco bust. signed
3 allison signes to me
4 a ball with efrin's, Mika's, and Ralph's signatures

a poster personally autographed by every major wpba star last year.

a very old add signed by "fast Eddie"

a picture with me and tom cruise shooting pool in san Antonio

My cue claw from tiger...IMHO the best ever made honestly

my predator shafts "cant live without them"

UWPoolGod
05-07-2004, 02:32 PM
I'd have to say the Billiard Encyclopedia, and pictures of my cue as it was being built.

Barbara
05-07-2004, 02:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> My first cue- a blue unlabeled pool cue from Kmart. It has blue string(not Irish Linen)for a wrap and a fiber(not leather) tip. I'm gonna bury it and in 10,000 years, it will be priceless.

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

Decayed, and of interest to archeologists only, but priceless. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

Barbara
05-07-2004, 03:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>

Hard to top that.

<font color="blue">You would think... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif</font color>

I heard former champion George Rood up in Dayton has the table Mosconi ran 526 on <hr /></blockquote>

Now does he have a COA for that? Did Mosconi do something to indicate the specialty of the table or contribute to its provenance?

Barbara

Harold Acosta
05-07-2004, 04:15 PM
1. Autographed McDermott Shaft - Efren Reyes, Varner, Buddy Hall, Bustamante, Andam, Tony Ellin, Rempe, Frankie Hernandez, Jose Garcia, Tony Robles, Morro Paez, Howard Vickery, David Howard, Rodney Morris, Rafael Martinez, Tommy Kennedy from the 1996 Camel Grand Prix of Puerto Rico.
2. Set of Billiard Cards signed by all the Pros mentioned above and others who attended the Grand Prix of Puerto Rico.
3. Mike Sigel autographed cue ball
4. Karen Corr autographed 2 Ball
5. Personalized photo of Dawn Hopkins
6. Autographed Ralf Souquet photo
7. Boston Shorty signed photo
8. Allison Fisher signed photo
9. Pictures of Steve Mizerak, Efren Reyes, Tony Ellin, Buddy Hall, Nick Varner with my son at the 1996 Grand Prix of Puerto Rico.
10. 50th Aniversary BCA Cue Ball
11. Playboy Bunny Cue Ball
12. Camel 8 Ball
13. Camel 9 Ball
14. McDermott 9 Ball
15. Several Billiard Calendars
16. Several wood, ceramic, and glass miniature pool tables.
17. Miniature size dogs holding pool cues.
18. 1983 World Series of Tavern Pool - Ceasars Palace Mug
19. 25th Anniversary US Open wine glass
20. 1st Edition Blue Book
21. 2nd Edition Blue Book
22. Billiards Encyclopedia.

and many other collectibles too many to describe right now.

Just holding on to them for a future virtual/real Billiards Hall of Fame in Puerto Rico.

Karatemom
05-07-2004, 04:31 PM
the coolest?? That's easy......Spike! hahahahahaha

Seriously, just two that I can think of. My first ever trophy/plaque from the Iowa State 8 Ball Championships, and my D19 McDermott. It's the only cue of it's color I've ever seen.

Heide ~ definitely a plain jane compared to the rest of ya, LOL

Cueless Joey
05-07-2004, 04:45 PM
No Tito Trinidad cueball?
No Wilfredo Gomez Bazooka Pool cue?
No Dayanara Torres bikini cloth?
No JLo tight shooting jeans?
Why? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stickman
05-07-2004, 04:51 PM
My mini-lathe is the coolest. Of course, I'd love to someday have a full grown version. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

larrynj1
05-07-2004, 05:04 PM
i have a brown leather fellini case tooled or inscribed as follows

A J Lynch
From Mike Segal
1982 Fellini AG

AG = Ann Gore who made cases for fellini
we all know who Mike Segal is
who is AJLynch? mike's girlfriend at the time??

edit - no, it is not for sale.

Voodoo Daddy
05-07-2004, 07:32 PM
I dunno about cool but I got some stuff;
1]A signed {by Newman and Cruise} Last Call for 9-Ball tournament poster from the Resorts &lt;where they filmed the tournament scene&gt;
2]A pic of Gene "The Mighty Glove" Catron, Buddy Hall, Gary Pinkowski and myself at a Florida Tour stop {circa 1984}
3]A signed first print of the poster "Ride the 9" by Ed Rowe
4]A signed first print of Willie Mosconi after his passing by artist John Pochinkchuk
5]A signed Johnny Ervolino apperance poster &lt;Very Cool&gt;
Last one I'll mention;
6]A picture of Ronnie Allen, Freddy Bentivegna, Mizerak, Grady and several others during a action game at the Dayton Open sometime in the mid-70's!!

Voodoo~~~got some pool stories too

Rip
05-07-2004, 07:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> The set of Brunswick Centenniels that were used in the finals of the 1967 U.S. Open with which Jimmy Caras beat Luther Lassiter twice to win the event.

Guess Jimmy didn't have spell check! LOL!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Try "Centennials" Babs!
Hardee Harrr Harrr Harrr,
Rip /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jimmy B
05-08-2004, 02:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> ... pool and/or billiard related thingy you own? Collectible or otherwise.

<hr /></blockquote>

What?? No mini buffer Fred? I'd also like to take credit for at least one of the things on Fred's list;-)
On to my list, I won't count cues.

Bluebook 1 signed by over 35 cuemakers (all the masters)

Collection of cue balls that were used in the finals of major pro tournaments signed by the winner of the tournament.

Shhhhhhhhhh keep that between us :-)

JB

Rich R.
05-08-2004, 04:45 AM
I guess the coolest thing I have, is a growing collection of photographs of pro and semi pro pool players, in action.
It's a nice way to combine two hobbies. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
05-08-2004, 06:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rip:</font><hr> Guess Jimmy didn't have spell check! LOL!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Try "Centennials" Babs!
Hardee Harrr Harrr Harrr,
Rip /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

You got me there, Rip!! Too late to edit, too!! I thought it looked "funny"...

Barbara~~~hates to misspell...

Paul_Mon
05-08-2004, 06:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> ... pool and/or billiard related thingy you own? Collectible or otherwise.

<hr /></blockquote>

Like Jim, I'd like credit for one of the things on your list.

My List:

-Winning One Pocket w/ lots of autographs
-Shots, Moves, Strategies
-Some trading cards
-3 stamped envelopes from 1903 with billiards themes
-the glass back panel from a pinball machine with a pool theme

Paul Mon

NH_Steve
05-08-2004, 07:12 AM
I've got an original lithographed advertising poster from the 'Continental Bowling &amp; Billiard Saloon' in Boston from about the 1890's. It has tons of detail and is in great condition with bright colors because it had been hidden for years as backing behind another piece of framed art. There are about 70 people in the print -- bowling, playing pool and billiards, standing at a great bar -- even bar food! There are pin-setters in the background -- gas lights -- even framed art on the walls.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-08-2004, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
I heard former champion George Rood up in Dayton has the table Mosconi ran 526 on <hr /></blockquote>

Now does he have a COA for that? Did Mosconi do something to indicate the specialty of the table or contribute to its provenance?

I don't know. This is just what I have heard.
===============================================
Other cool stuff.

I have a Father's Day card shaped like a pool table with that fuzzy green fake velvet stuff as the cloth.

I bought an official poster at the 2004 DCC and got autographs from several players. Most included their nicknames with their signature.

Dennis "The Bear" Coulter
Jeanette Lee "The Black Widow"
Jim Wych
Nesli O'hare
Grady Matthews
Danny Basavitch "Kid Delicious"
Keith McCready
Shawn Putnam
Jimmy Wetch
Troy Frank (he has the best handwriting of all)
Sarah Rousey
Mika Immonen "Iceman"
John Brumback
Mike Lebron
Jose "Amang" Parica
Efren "Bata" Reyes
Shannon "The Cannon" Daulton
Max Eberle
Johnny Archer

#### leonard
05-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Voodooooo Daddddy. Gary Pinkowski brings back memories a pooolplayer smarter than all the rest. Ran his tourney to coincide with the Endicott Golf tourney.

Johnny Ervolino the smartest poolplayer I ever played, every time I did something he never saw before he would stop me and ask me did I play it that way.

Was that Dayton Open run by my good buddy Larry Ridgeway?

I also have a 1876 H.W. Collender Imperial cast iron pool table that weighs near 3000 lbs. A work of art cast in Iron. Soon to be auctioned off. If my scanner worked I would post its picture.####

tateuts
05-08-2004, 10:55 AM
I'm kind of a case freak. I would say my favorite thing is a Jack Justis case made for the owner of Indy Q in 1995. It's never been used. It is white palomino suede with a solid side of brown alligator, with matching brown leather pockets and tons of tooling. I sent a photo to Jack and he remembered making the case.

Chris

Rip
05-08-2004, 12:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr>

Johnny Ervolino the smartest poolplayer I ever played, every time I did something he never saw before he would stop me and ask me did I play it that way.
#### <hr /></blockquote>

Hi ####,
I'll be seeing Ervolino this afternoon. I'm sure he'll agree that not only is he the smartest but also the best looking poolplayer on the planet! Mind if I pass along your compliment when I see him?
Regards,
Rip

#### leonard
05-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Rip go right ahead give him my best.####

SPetty
05-08-2004, 01:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> It is white palomino suede with a solid side of brown alligator... <hr /></blockquote>Leather made from a horse? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

tateuts
05-08-2004, 05:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> It is white palomino suede with a solid side of brown alligator... <hr /></blockquote>Leather made from a horse? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Don't worry. They killed the horse first. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

No, actually Palomino Suede is a color of cow leather. It's off-white color or also the light tan color suede. The alligator is a real alligator hide and it's nice stuff. Jack said the case was (gulp) $900.

Here's a factoid for you: A Palomino actually isn't a type of horse, it's the color of a horse. I learned this because we bought a quarter horse a few years ago and it's a beautiful Palomino.

Chris

Harold Acosta
05-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Cueless Joey, don't start giving me any ideas....

How about the:

1. Wilfred Benitez "radar" gun to measure the speed of my breaks....
2. or the the Hector "Macho" Camacho "what time it is" pool clock...
3. or the John Ruiz "it ain't worth it" cue....
4. or the Alfredo "Salsero" Escalera set of bloody red pool balls....
5. or the Joselyn Sanchez "tight rack"

Hey! I think I'm coming onto something now!

BillPorter
05-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Hey Fred, good topic! I don't have many pool-related items that I would rank as real cool, but after scratching my head for a while, I remembered something. Back about 1980 I was going to a pool tournament in Colorado Springs with my friend Mike Haines. We spent some time on the drive from Dallas trying to figure a way to get to talk to some of the top players who would be at the tournament without being too pushy. Mike had a nice new 35 mm camera with him and I happened to have a portable tape recorder and microphone. We got to the tournament and told the tournament director that we were there to do an article for Billiards Digest on the cue sticks owned by the pros. He was agreeable, so we set up the camera and tape recorder on a table near the tournament area and ask Buddy Hall to give us an interview. After that, all the players were standing around waiting their turn to talk to us! It was great getting to talk to a bunch of top players and several cue makers (Bill Stroud, Paul Heubler, Bob Meucci). I just dug up my notes on the interviews and am looking at the names: Buddy Hall (rail thin at that time!), Mike Sigal, Richie Florence (who claimed he used a cue he made himself), Al the Plumber, Dee Hulse (used a Joss West and a Paradise), Ronnie Allen, Richie Ambrose (Joss), Cowboy Jimmy Moore (a Tad), Machine Gun Lou Butera (used a Rich cue), Rudolph Wanderone (who used a Rambow at the time), Paul Gerni (used a Richard Black), Bob Wilson, Rod Curry, and Monk Constanzo. Wow!!! And I still have the taped interviews which sound clear as a bell. We got so cocky about the whole thing that we became a bit selective about inviting people to be interviewed. Keith McCready was lurking around our table all afternoon, but we never got around to him. That set of taped interviews is by far the coolest pool-related item(s) I own. Thanks for spurring me to relive the memories. (BTW, I actually did write the article and BD published it. Check page 39 of your September/October 1980 issue if you have it laying around. I got $50.00 for the article--I hope they are paying more these days! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Rich R.
05-09-2004, 07:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Leather made from a horse? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
SPetty, I'm sure Jack will be at the Open. Be sure to check out his booth. You never know what he will have. He does use some exotic materials, at times.
How does a Zebra cue case strike your fancy? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Chris Cass
05-09-2004, 07:45 AM
A pair of Buddy Hall' autographed boxer shorts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Regards,

C.C.

9 Ball Girl
05-09-2004, 11:29 AM
ooooh, ooooh, ooooh! And I forgot to mention, the picture of the CCB players in the October 2003 issue of Inside Pool Magazine! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
05-10-2004, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> SPetty, I'm sure Jack will be at the Open. <hr /></blockquote>Booth #52.

Check out page 30 of InsidePool (May '04).

Fred

stlshooter
05-10-2004, 06:40 AM
A hand written, personalized stationary, and very legible letter from Willie Mosconi, dated 1980. A new ivory cue ball. My favorite pool table a Brunswick Anniversary model 5'x10' that after shooting several balls Efren Reyes said, " table too big", but he never did miss during our match.

wolfdancer
05-10-2004, 10:00 AM
..."contribute to it's provenance"
hey, dese big words make my head hurt....what kinda word this "provenance" be? I only go to this site 'cause I don' have enough edukation fer going to a real site...but you keep using big words, and i have to go buy a dictionary.

monkeydude20
05-10-2004, 10:28 PM
The coolest bit of pool memorabilia that I own would probably have to be:
- my cue from Cue Sight. It has a laser screw on tip to help your game.

- The next coolest thing I have is a picture of a woman down on a shot in an old and smoky pool hall with a crowd gathered around her waiting for her to sink the 8 ball.

Jk /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif