PDA

View Full Version : TAP Leauges Whats the word?

bluey2king
05-07-2004, 02:36 PM
I just saw a flyer for a TAP Leauge starting at my local Pool Hall. What is their advantage?? Disavantage??

Doctor_D
05-07-2004, 03:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr> I just saw a flyer for a TAP Leauge starting at my local Pool Hall. What is their advantage?? Disavantage?? <hr /></blockquote>

Advantage, the 8 Ball league requires shooter to call the pocket as well as to mark the pocket when shooting the 8 ball. No Slop!

Disadvantage, you will find the same sand bagging of skill levels and sloppy scoring as you do in APA.

Dr. D.

Rich R.
05-08-2004, 04:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Doctor_D:</font><hr> Disadvantage, you will find the same sand bagging of skill levels and sloppy scoring as you do in APA.
<hr /></blockquote>
It is much easier to sandbag in TAP, than in the APA. Although it was a nice try, their system just doesn't work. TAP is sandbaggers heaven.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-08-2004, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> It is much easier to sandbag in TAP, than in the APA. Although it was a nice try, their system just doesn't work. TAP is sandbaggers heaven. <hr /></blockquote>

Rich R.

Could you elaborate? I've not seen TAP played. I'm just curious. I have some friends in Pittsburgh that play TAP and APA both.

thanx.

Rich R.
05-08-2004, 09:35 AM
On the TAP score sheets, they record a lot of information. I believe they may have really been making an effort to control sandbagging, but something in the way they calculate handicaps must be wrong.

It seems to be very easy for a player to manipulate their stats, by missing shots, in a match, to increase their inning count, and other things. I'm not really sure which factors carry the most weight, as they, like the APA, do not disclose how handicaps are calculated.

I only played one session in TAP and all I know is, in TAP, I was giving up weight to the same guys, who would have to give me weight, in the APA. They were far superior players, but I had to win one or two more games than they did. Sometimes, there was as much as 2 to 3 skill levels difference in the ratings from APA to TAP.

I also know, there was at least one player in the TAP league, who had a 13-0 win record, against a variety of opponents, and never budged from a SL-4. IMHO, something is wrong.

I did not trust their system. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif