PDA

View Full Version : How to make a great break cue

stickman
05-07-2004, 04:39 PM
I decided we needed to start a new thread. Suppose you have a new sneaky pete. How can you make it a great break cue?
Opinions and ideas welcome.

Thanks, Jim

Nightstalker
05-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Interesting question, I think many might recommend installing a phenolic tip on it. I have never hit with a phenolic tip myself so I cannot give firsthand experience, but I have asked around on many other boards and a lot of people use them and highly recommend them. I do understand that it is more difficult to make the cue ball 'sit' where you want it with this kind of tip due to the extreme hardness of it but I guess for those people who like them the benefits of speed outweigh the lack of cue ball control.

BeanDiesel
05-07-2004, 06:53 PM
yeah, good question. I'm making my Cuetec thunderbolt a break cue. I think someone here breaks with a thunderbolt as well. What should i do to make it a good break cue?

stickman
05-07-2004, 08:48 PM
The first thing I did was to remove the tip and install a new triangle tip. I made the tip short and only slightly domed. I was unimpresed by this attempt. I next removed the fiber ferrule and replaced it with a capped Aegis ferrule, and a Sumo WB tip, shaped as the other one. This is much better. It has some pop now, but I think I can make it better. The Aegis ferrules are junk in my opinion, but I had some left over and I wanted to use them up. I think I'll follow Joey's advice and order a melamine ferrule, and try a black WB tip. I could try a phenolic if that doesn't work.

Jim

Fred Agnir
05-08-2004, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I decided we needed to start a new thread. Suppose you have a new sneaky pete. How can you make it a great break cue?
Opinions and ideas welcome.

Thanks, Jim <hr /></blockquote>Phenolic Tip.

Fred

Jay
05-08-2004, 08:18 AM
I would suggest a phrenolic tip and maybe a shortened ferrule if you plan on only modifying the original equipment. If you have the opportunity, I would suggest a thicker shaft as well, somewhere in the 13.25 range. That seems to be the popular taper on most good break cues