PDA

View Full Version : When do you give up on a stroke/fundamental change

05-01-2002, 07:12 AM
All,
Im the type of player that is CONSTANTLY changing something with my stroke, alignments, and other fundamentals. I find that "hey if I REALLY concentrate on addressing the ball correctly, I really only need to take 2 practice strokes." This is just an example. These types of things tend to work for about 20 minutes, then I start to miss like crazy....

My question is, how long do you stick with some change until you decide it sucks and throw it out. Also, at what point do you just say "hey.. my fundamentals.. stance.. blah blah are fine, Im just gonna concentrate on winning." I just feel like maybe Imi trying to change all the time, and I therefore can't develop any consistency.

J--

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 07:22 AM
Good morning:

If you have not allowed yourself adequat time and repetition to "learn" a new and/or revised fundamental, it will NEVER be learned. Many times what appears awkward at first becomes comfortable and automatic later.

You might want to read "The Pleasures of Small Motions". Good material applicable to the mental aspect of the game.

Dr. D.

05-01-2002, 07:39 AM
Been there.... read it... memorized it.... can't apply it

All those mental game books, inner game of tennis etc are a nice read, but if you can't make it happen under pressure, you may as well burn it...

Nostroke
05-01-2002, 07:52 AM
ALl those books are a criminal waste of trees. You see these Titles that promise solutions to your problems and when you read them, you see that you have tried most angles, the rest are pure BS and you wind up $17.95 poorer and thats it. Most of these books should be 2 pages but they go on and on repeating the same vague crap.

Go ahead buy 101 relaxation tips and i guarantee next time you get a chance to be agitated, you will!

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 08:05 AM
Good morning:

Having a viable point of reference might provide some valuable direction and guidance for you. Think back to a skill which you learned, especially all that was required to learn the skill as well as to become proficient with it, and then apply the concept to the development of your pool game. There are many different ways and means of getting from where you are to where you want to be. The trick, more often trouble, is finding the one that works best for you.

Dr. D.

Eric.
05-01-2002, 08:14 AM
Jason,

Personally, I feel you need to develope good fundementals and stick with it no matter what! You need a comfortable, unrestricting stance, good alignment of your back foot, arm, shoulder, head and bridge hand. You need to have a pre-shot routine that you try not to deviate from.

I know, I know, the $64,000 question is how? Do you have a camcorder? Try filming yourself to check for quirks.
How about a BCA certified Instructor to help you develop a pre-shot routine?
Try hiring Fran Crimi?

Eric >full of useless knowledge

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 08:20 AM
Good morning:

Remember; Data becomes Information and then Information becomes Knowledge.

Dr. D.

Eric.
05-01-2002, 08:43 AM
In plain English, knowledge is useless, unless you can put it on the table.

Eric >learned English from Conjunction Junction

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 08:45 AM
Good morning:

Exactly why I devote 20 hours each week to doing drills!

Dr. D.

heater451
05-01-2002, 09:45 AM
Filming should help, if you are analyzing your fundamental mechanics (stance, grip, etc.).

And, although it definitely makes sense to have a good foundation before you build the house, don't forget that the walls and roof are important as well.

In other words, you may be focusing so much on your body positioning and stroke execution, that you're forgetting to do things, like keeping your eye on the ball(s) and following through, or you're jumping up early, and making everything you were lining up for completely useless (although, if you really are paying attention to your stroke, I think this would be unlikely).

You may also be increasing your shot-to-shot speed, and 'dropping off' your good practice. That is, if you take your time on a few shots, and make them, your confidence starts to increase, and you overcome your discipline, and take shots before your ready. You would still make a few, but as the confidence/waning discipline curve changes, you'll start missing, get frustrated, miss more, get more frustrated, and so on, and so on. . . .

I'm basically saying that you need to make sure that you are not "barking up the wrong tree", by trying to troubleshoot 'fundamentals', and losing it on the details.

Good luck.

05-01-2002, 10:01 AM
I like that advice alot heater.. thank you

Kato
05-01-2002, 10:03 AM
As a fellow stroke, stance, grip, head position changer I'll say this, it's not the right thing to do. I am now burning 1 stance and stroke into my muscle memory, just 1. You will never advance until you settle into 1 rythm, 1 stance, 1 stroke, ect. I know this to be fact, unfortunately.

Kato~~~learns by not learning........huh?

Eric.
05-01-2002, 10:03 AM
Heater,

What's going on? I agree with your points, but want to add that I think filming is important because when the player views it, they can see if they are jumping up, or know what they were thinking at that moment. I think alot of problems can be traced back to fundamentals. Developing a good pre-shot routine, once burned into El Braino, let's you focus more on the things you mentioned such as object ball and speed/position.

Eric >gets a spot from Ray Charles