PDA

View Full Version : 8 Rails?

mworkman
05-07-2004, 08:24 PM
I saw this on ESPN where they where trying to land on a $100.00 Bill after going 8 rails. No matter how hard I try, I can only get to about the middle of the table after hitting the 7th rail. Maybe it's just my table? Or is it really that difficult? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

tateuts
05-07-2004, 08:35 PM
It's the table. Mine has fast rails and Simonis 860. 9 rail shots are not too difficult.

Chris

mworkman
05-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Yep, must be the rails. I have 860 on mine also with 8'. Do you have an 8 or 9'?

tateuts
05-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Mine is a 9' Olhausen. The rails are lively - I guess they're hard or something. I was trying that Fast Larry 11 rail shot and could make 9 of them - the 11 rail table must have been tricked out beyond belief.

Chris

Ken
05-08-2004, 07:44 AM
Your rails may be a bit too high and pinching the ball. That will take a lot of momentum out of it. I can get almost to 10 rails on my old table but the balls will come off the table very easily. They hop when striking the rails. Good for multi-rail shots but not so good for playing.

I've tried on Valley bar boxes and Diamond 9 footers and haven't got to nine rails. That's with very fast cloth. The more important factor is rail height.
Ken in CT

PoOn
05-08-2004, 02:01 PM
i have a 8' table with simonis cloth and i can just barely touch the 8th rail

JDB
05-08-2004, 08:19 PM
I have a 9 foot Olhausen with 860 Simonis and could only make 7 rails.

slipstrokeslim
05-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Post deleted by ccb_admin_2

tateuts
05-09-2004, 09:53 AM
I can just tell by the way that FL table rolls that it's tricked up. The cloth is stretched so tight you can probably see the slate right through it.

Chris

Frank_Glenn
05-09-2004, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Mine is a 9' Olhausen. The rails are lively - I guess they're hard or something. I was trying that Fast Larry 11 rail shot and could make 9 of them - the 11 rail table must have been tricked out beyond belief.

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

{secret mode} wipe the cueball with a rag that has been sprayed with WD40 {/secret mode}

Chris Cass
05-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Another might be 760 cloth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Either way, he did it and trick shots are just that, trick shots.

Hi Frank,

C.C.

tateuts
05-09-2004, 07:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Either way, he did it and trick shots are just that, trick shots.

<hr /></blockquote>

Darn it. And I was going to make that 11 rail kick my next tricky push out shot!

Chris

Chris Cass
05-09-2004, 10:39 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Atleast yours had some honest quality to it. Unless you used mirrors?

LOL,

C.C.

pooljunkie73
05-10-2004, 05:35 AM
slipstrokeslim.....also known as.....FastLarry

He posted the same thing on AZ.

Kent Mc.

Chris Cass
05-10-2004, 06:11 AM
Hi mworkman,

8 rails is all I ever known anyone to ever go, myself included. That's if your counting the soft rail and 860 cloth. Still, is this really that impressive? What impresses me is not the trick shots. These are all fun things but I'm impressed by a soft clean smooth stroke.

I like to see a comeback in a tough pressure situation or a someone that's talking smack get their dues in a heated match. I like to see players that put 100% of their effort on the table and suceed in doing what they set out to do.

I enjoy seeing someone putting in practice time and see them bring their game up, for it. I like to see a shooter with what looks like an impossible shot, come with the shot for a hit or the safe in return.

These are the things that impress me. Trick shots and magic is all fun stuff but impressed? Well, there's nothing that can beat a great entertainer but the two things don't necessarily coincide.

11 rails?

Regards,

C.C.~~beat Earl and I'll be impressed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif get 11 rails and I'll say, Oh goody.

mworkman
05-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Hi Chris, now I'm depressed. I was kinda hoping I could accomplish something in this great game without all that work and practice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Your right, there are many great things to appreciate other then how many rails we can hit. But, it does give me some kind of idea of the speed of my table as compared to others.

Nightstalker
05-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Just install some flubber cushions to increase the coefficient of restitution to the cue ball. 100 rails should be attainable then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
05-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Hi mworkman,

LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif, Well, I see your from MN. That tells me you don't miss much anyway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I understand what your saying but if you think about it? You only need to use the cloth your competing on anyway.

Another thought is, the rails would be the only change really. The tightness of the cloth is escential and that really doesn't matter much, if you compete. You can't get to a tourney or a league place and if the cloth is loose? You don't have a choice in the matter.

For you my friend, I highly suggest using a cloth you compete mostly on. Also, stretch it as tight as you can. You could get those speed rails but I'm not for that. Unless, the tables you compete on use those same cushions too.

Now, if your testing your stroke? That's a timing thing and not how many rails you can hit. The 11 rail demo is just a fun thing. If it was a contest I would take the cloth off the table and shoot on bare slate. That wouldn't be as much fun. I would like to do that Bob Jewett experiment. I think it was him. They all shot a pool ball on bare slate and measure how far the thing would go down their driveway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Regards,

C.C.

tateuts
05-10-2004, 03:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> {secret mode} wipe the cueball with a rag that has been sprayed with WD40 {/secret mode} <hr /></blockquote>
Frank,

I tried that and all all I got was a smelly cue ball. Any other ideas?

Chris

Chris Cass
05-10-2004, 04:05 PM
HAHAHAHAHAA

You admit to watching that movie? HAHAHAHAHA I hope you didn't believe it? LOL J/K, How would I know about it if I didn't see some of it myself? Anyway, your funny.

C.C.

Chris Cass
05-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Well Chris,

I didn't want to mention this because I don't think anyone should mess with the cloth but here goes. At my ph a match was scheduled between Jonny Kucharo and Jesse Bowman. Someone whom I won't say had waxed the balls and then sprayed the table with silicone spray. The balls were like lightning and totally uncontrollable. The cloth also after a few days was gummed up and not really sticky but it did leave a scummy feeling on your hands. Did it work? Yes, but not for long. BTW, the cloth returned to normal after about a week of play and damp wiping.

The other thing one might due is to spray Windex on the cloth. Sprayed lightly and leave it dry. The cloth seems to tighten up and play a bit faster. That's what I would recommend if anything.

Regards,

C.C.

Frank_Glenn
05-10-2004, 05:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> {secret mode} wipe the cueball with a rag that has been sprayed with WD40 {/secret mode} <hr /></blockquote>
Frank,

I tried that and all all I got was a smelly cue ball. Any other ideas?

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

Well, I use Pledge, but wd 40 should make the ball have less friction. I line up with the cueball like this:
START(
%AU2A6%BQ3]4%CJ5B3%DS4A3%EP4^0%FR5]6%GN1A8%HN1A6%IT9]1%JR0A2
%KL9]4%LK7A2%MN9\9%NL0\7%OP5A0%Pl3S6%Ul6[4%Vr7X4%WO7[5%Xk2S9
%YC9H0%ZN8[6%[F6D2%\C1F9%]r1W7%^G6C7%_C5F7%`a2V6%ak4[6%bF7D1
%cC1E8%dB7F2
)END

notice3 points a &amp; d are hit twice, so only have one line

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html

The trick is to make the corners and not scratch. I may not have it laid out exactly correct, but the starting point IS correct. I have made 9 a few times with no funny stuff on the QB on a fast table. I get 7 easy, and 8 often enough. I just ried it and got 8 once and seven about 6 times. My cloth is old and will be replaced in a month or so with new 760. I'll try it again then.

Chris Cass
05-11-2004, 06:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr>
START(
%AU2A6%BQ3]4%CJ5B3%DS4A3%EP4^0%FR5]6%GN1A8%HN1A6%IT9]1%JR0A2
%KL9]4%LK7A2%MN9\9%NL0\7%OP5A0%Pl3S6%Ul6[4%Vr7X4%WO7[5%Xk2S9
%YC9H0%ZN8[6%[F6D2%\C1F9%]r1W7%^G6C7%_C5F7%`a2V6%ak4[6%bF7D1
%cC1E8%dB7F2
)END

notice3 points a &amp; d are hit twice, so only have one line

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html

The trick is to make the corners and not scratch. I may not have it laid out exactly correct, but the starting point IS correct. I have made 9 a few times with no funny stuff on the QB on a fast table. I get 7 easy, and 8 often enough. I just ried it and got 8 once and seven about 6 times. My cloth is old and will be replaced in a month or so with new 760. I'll try it again then. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Frank,

They seemed to have started a new thread under 11 rail shot experiment. Anyway, I don't know if your hitting on the first rail right or your diagram is off a bit but, FL seems to be hitting just before the 5th diamond about 2".

START(
%AU2A6%CJ5B3%DS4A3%GN1A8%HN1A6%JR0A2%LK7A2%OP5A0%P h6U0%WX8[3
%Xg9U4
)END

Regards,

C.C.

Frank_Glenn
05-11-2004, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>
Hi Frank,

They seemed to have started a new thread under 11 rail shot experiment. Anyway, I don't know if your hitting on the first rail right or your diagram is off a bit but, FL seems to be hitting just before the 5th diamond about 2".

START(
%AU2A6%CJ5B3%DS4A3%GN1A8%HN1A6%JR0A2%LK7A2%OP5A0%P h6U0%WX8[3
%Xg9U4
)END

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

I scratch when I try this. His table plays much different than mine (GC I 760S)

Nightstalker
05-11-2004, 08:15 AM
Yeah thanks Chris. I watched that movie, The Absent-Minded Professor, about 15 or so years ago. I did not see the movie called Flubber. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif