PDA

View Full Version : Which cue?

PoOn
05-07-2004, 11:06 PM
I think Im looking to buy a new cue but I don't know if I should or not.

I have a Fury DL series cue and a Stealth cue. I first bought the Fury and it was working well for a while and now Im using the Stealth and it feels pretty good but I guess I just want another cue and I was thinking about getting a Panther cue but I've never seen one to try it out I've only seen them on the internet. Is this cue worth buying? and is it a step up or down from my cues?

crawdaddio
05-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo custom!

Sorry.....it's late, and i'm an idiot..............seriously though, consider buying a custom made cue.

PoOn
05-07-2004, 11:58 PM
can anybody name any good custom cues that are in the price range of no more then $250.00??

Jimmy B
05-08-2004, 02:24 AM
not really but save up and when you get $450 you'll have more options and a better idea of what you really like in a cue. Keep your eyes open and ask for opinions around the pool room and ask people if they mind if you hit a ball with their cue.

JB

dmgwalsh
05-08-2004, 04:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoOn:</font><hr> can anybody name any good custom cues that are in the price range of no more then $250.00?? <hr /></blockquote>

Blackheart , Bludworth sneaky petes.

Nightstalker
05-08-2004, 07:27 AM
Yeah, all production cues are junk. Spend a bunch of money on a custom....because... they're like.... custom.... and they're cool! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif j/k

Some people are high on the custom thing as you can tell. There are many FINE custom makers and then there are some not so fine ones. The blackheart and bludworth sneaky pete suggestion is a great one if you like sneaky petes. If you do not then you will be spending a lot more money for the inlays, points, veneers, wrap, etc. from a custom maker.
Just slap a Predator 314 on that Fury DL instead! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
05-08-2004, 08:35 AM
I've never heard of a Panther. Your Fury is probly a better cue than that.

Do you have any friends that have cues you could try out? Like McDermott, Viking, Lucasi, Joss, or Pechauer. You could get most of those for around $250

good luck

PoOn
05-08-2004, 11:11 AM
my friend has a viking and it feels pretty good... the local pool shop sells mcdermotts but i've never got to try it out because i always thought they were too expensive but i was thinking of getting 1 and putting a predator z shaft on it instead of the 314 but im not sure if thats a good idea or maybe a lucasi... which would be best? which would be cheapest?

Wally_in_Cincy
05-08-2004, 11:16 AM
This guy's name is Kevin Whitt. He's an acquaintance of mine. He has McDermotts starting at $135
for the MG series.

http://nineballking.com/mcmgse.html

BTW I would stay away from the "quicksilver" McD's. I just think they're ugly /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
05-08-2004, 11:18 AM
I have one similar to this. Not fancy but it's good quality and I like the hit

http://nineballking.com/mcdermottef3.html

Chris Cass
05-08-2004, 11:38 AM
PoOn,

I need more information to properly evaluate your request. Please answer this small questionair and I'll get back to you promply.

1) How many hrs a week do you play?
2) Do you play leagues? If so, state which.
3) Does your preference call for a linen wrap cue or wrapless?
4) How do you store your cue when not in use?
5) Do you let anyone use your equipment?
6) Will you be likely to leave the cue in your car trunk for hrs on end?
7) What field of work do you do?
8) How long have you been playing?
9) Do you get upset and throw your equipment around if you miss a shot?
10) What kind of vehicle do you drive?

Regards,

C.C.~~leaves no stone unturned. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PoOn
05-08-2004, 11:41 AM
i can get any cue for 20% off at the shop over here because thats where i bought my table from and they know me i always go there just to check out the new stuff but i just wanted to know which cue is better a mecdermott or lucasi? and which is better to put a z shaft on it?

irunrax
05-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Dale Perry has some nice sneaky petes under $200.00.

PoOn
05-08-2004, 11:50 AM
1) i have my own table so i play maybe 2-3 hours a day sometimes less
2) i want to start
3) linen wrap
4) either lay it on the table or put it in my case
5) no
6) no
7) i dont work im only 16
8) since i was 10 but seriously since i was 13
9) no
10) a 73' celica

Wally_in_Cincy
05-08-2004, 12:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoOn:</font><hr> ...i just wanted to know which cue is better a mecdermott or lucasi?

<font color="blue">Neither is really "better" altough I believe the McD is better quality. The Lucasi has a more conical taper and thus a more solid hit. The McD has more of a straight taper which I prefer.

I had a Lucasi and the linen wrap came unraveled after about 100 hours of play. I have a McD with at least 1000 hours of play and it is like new. </font color>

and which is better to put a z shaft on it?

<font color="blue">don't know nothin' about that </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Rip
05-08-2004, 12:04 PM
CC, I can't believe you didn't ask for a DNA sample!
Sheesh,
Rip /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Cass
05-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Hi PoOn,

I like you already. The reason I asked these questions is to feel you out and find out what your prioritys are. Now, I bought my wife a Lucasi and they are good for the money but just recently the wrap was starting to frey. This had never happened to any cue I've ever had. It just didn't frey but it became bunched up. Weird I know.

So, I took it to my cueman and had it replaced. While I was watching him he mentioned as he was taking the wrap off. The glue underneath was still wet and sticky. The glue had never set up properly. He basically told me they used like a Super 77 like the spray they use for installing cloth with. He told me he has done 5 or 6 of these already. That's extra work and chemicals to just get it back down to wood.

Anyway, getting back to your question. I would choose the McDermott over the Lucas and having the z shaft used? I don't know about the z shaft. I've seen it but never heard anything or hit with one.

For you I recommend getting a cue you can resell later to upgrade. If you started that early you'll most likely play your whole life(on and off of course). Till your skills improve I recommend you get a cue that you see a lot around your area. That way you can sell it later easily.

Because of your age I also recommend you order a South West Cue. There's an 8 yr waiting list so, you'll get it in 8 yrs. By then you'll be in college and what ever the cost is now is what you'll pay then. No money is required up front. The cue when you get it will be worth more than the cost you'll pay for it at todays prices. More than likely, you'll get back the money you'll be investing in the cues your buying now.

If you don't have the money to pay for it then. They don't care as these cues are collectors. They can sell it anytime. JAT What ever cue you choose. Try to keep in mind. A good solid cue that costs a bit more is worth the cue that is questionable and costs you less.

$250. is a respectable amount of cash to spend on a cue for you right now. Go with a name that has a good rep in resale and playability. McDermott isn't a bad choice. They won't fall apart on you either.

Regards,

C.C.~~nice to see more young players on the board. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
05-08-2004, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>... Now, I bought my wife a Lucasi and they are good for the money but just recently the wrap was starting to frey....
<hr /></blockquote>

Mike Webb stated on AZB that he sees a lot of Lucasi's with the wrap coming loose.

crawdaddio
05-08-2004, 01:07 PM
www.bcmcue.com (http://www.bcmcue.com) Bryan Mordt makes fantastic sneaky petes for 220.00
www.nitticues.com (http://www.nitticues.com) Chris nitti as well~220.00-275.00 or find his cues @ www.onthehill.net (http://www.onthehill.net)
Phillipi cues (don't have the site) will make a sneaky pete out of your choice of woods in that price range. I think Bob Frey is close to that price too. These are just a few, as many cuemakers will make you a low end sneaky pete or plain jane cue for 300.00 or less. you will have to wait a few weeks or a couple of months to get it though. I have played with (and still own) several production cues, and although they are good cues, the resale is next to nil. Now I am definitely not knocking quality production cues, but for me, the feel of my viking just can't compare to my scruggs. Buy what you can afford and most importantly feels good when you play with it.

David

PoOn
05-08-2004, 01:16 PM
thanks a lot to everybody else to im going to the pool shop maybe today and test out some mcdermotts and other cues maybe ill find the 1 fer me... thanks again to everybody i have 1 more question does anybody know of any leagues somewherre by fairfield callifornia?