PDA

View Full Version : Intro,Thank-You, & Question

BigCat
05-08-2004, 08:29 AM
I've been reading this forum for over a year now, learning a lot from all of you "regulars" and I thought it was finally time I registered since I'm about to join the ranks of the pool-table-owning public. First, I'd like to thank you all for helping me learn so much about playing pool and buying equipment. Second, I'd like to ask a question about pool table setup. I'm getting a new GC IV installed in a bar/gameroom that's just been finished out in our barn. It's a 9-footer with Simonis 860 cloth. My question is, how many shims, if any, should I get on the pockets? I've heard some of you say you like the pockets really tight, not wide enough for two balls. Others say that many tournaments have wider pockets so why not practice at home with wider pockets. What do most GC's in tournaments have by way of shims, versus what do most pool halls have? Since I won't be the only user of the table I don't think I want the pockets to be too tight. The dealer said each shim is 1/8" wide, so a single shim on each side of a pocket would narrow it by 1/4". All he could tell me was that the width of the pockets on the table as delivered would "meet BCA specs." The problem is, BCA specs have 1/4" leeway if I'm not mistaken. Thanks.

Barbara
05-08-2004, 08:38 AM
BigCat,

Why would you consider getting the pockets shimmed? What type of player are you? Do you play in tournaments or tours? Do you also go to pool halls? And if you do, are their tables shimmed?

I have a GCI which I had shimmed to 4 3/4". The reason why I did this is because the PH I go to has Black Crowns shimmed to 4 3/4" and I found myself rattling and jawing balls too oftern. Plus, the tournaments I play in are usually Brunwick tables so there's not much of a stretch there in difference of equipment.

If you're just a casual player, leave the pockets alone and enjoy.

Barbara

Rich R.
05-08-2004, 09:12 AM
As Barbara said, you may not want them shimmed at all. It all depends on what you are looking for in your table. It also depends on your skill level and the skill level of the others, who will be using the table.

Now, we have a question for you.

What is your address and when will the beer be cold? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, welcome.

PQQLK9
05-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Welcome aboard BigCat...I would leave that GCIV the way it is.I had my Olhausen double shimmed but they were buckets to begin with.(I sold it to my neighbor and she could not make a ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

tateuts
05-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Congrats on a great table - sounds like it's going to be a nice set up.

I don't know what size the Gold Crowns come with, but I like corner packet at 4 1/2" and side pockets at 5". I think this is a good compromise between playbility and difficulty. It doesn't take long to get used to this pocket size and they keep you honest while leaving your sanity intact.

Chris

Troy
05-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Welcome to the CCB!!!

Per the BCA, http://www.bca-pool.com/cgi/site/framegate.cgi?url=http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_gen.shtml&cat=p
pockets are : Corner Pocket: Mouth Between 4 7/8" minimum to 5 1/8" maximum, and,
Side Pocket: Mouth Between 5 3/8" minimum to 5 5/8" maximum

To me, this is much too big even for the casual player. (You want a challenge, right ??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

I suggest 4 3/4" for the corners. This will let balls two pass but is tighter than the "standard" 5" buckets. If you really want a severe challenge go tighter, maybe 4.5". But unless you plan on playing mostly 1-Pocket, or plan on competing on tables with tight pockets, I'd go with with 4 3/4".

Troy

BigCat
05-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I only play now at friends' houses and once in a while out in NYC (where I work). I'm not bad for someone who doesn't play a lot, but I really do want to get better once I can practice on my own time. The pockets on the showroom GC looked pretty big to me (at least bigger than the other tables I play on) and I thought it would make sense to tighten them up a bit. One thing I found interesting is that the salesman said the table actually comes with double rubber shims at each pocket and the installers simply remove some or all depending on what the customer wants (he said they just "peel them off"). I'd never heard that before.

Troy
05-08-2004, 12:50 PM
Standard shims are about 1/8" thick and are UNDER the cloth on both sides of each pocket. If the table comes with "double shims", the corner pockets should be about 4 1/2"-4 3/4". It really all depends on how the rail rubber was cut in the first place.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigCat:</font><hr>.....One thing I found interesting is that the salesman said the table actually comes with double rubber shims at each pocket and the installers simply remove some or all depending on what the customer wants (he said they just "peel them off"). I'd never heard that before. <hr /></blockquote>