PDA

View Full Version : Super Glue

mworkman
05-08-2004, 10:38 AM
I just put a phenolic tip on using super glue. It set very fast and was able to use almost immediately. Would this work for a leather tip also? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

tateuts
05-08-2004, 10:48 AM
In one form or another, CA glues are pretty much what we all use. I think the "gel" types are the best, and would just suggest that you file the shine off the leather before you glue. Also, the stuff has a short shelf life, so a fresh tube is a good idea.

Chris

Sid_Vicious
05-08-2004, 11:00 AM
The gel woulda been my minimum SG flavor to use on a phenolic, slow set epoxy likely the best though. I'd worry that the bond with standard SG on a dense material like phenolic, would possibly be so thin and get brittle fast due to the hammering, plus the phenolic wouldn't soak much of the stuff like actual leathers do.

I've never used anything but SG, gel mainly, on leather tip installs, and play with the cue within the hour....sid

mworkman
05-08-2004, 11:28 AM
So I take it SG Gel is superior to Tweetens 10 minute cement?

Chris Cass
05-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Hi mworkman,

I wouldn't suggest super glue although, yrs ago it was the only thing I used to install my LaPro tips on with. The gel is much better and especially with the phenolic tips. I don't recommend the gel for phenolic tips but if it's all you have then what are you going to do?

Many would most likely use a 5 min. 2 part epoxy. This is strong and good. Buy it at Walgreens. The Lucite 454 is great for leather tips but I can never find it. So, I continue to use the Duro Super Glue Gel. It's easy to use and you have time to get the tip in the proper place without the thing freezing in place. Like the plane old super glue.

I also get out all air bubbles trapped inside by pressing the tip and shaft togather. I use a Williard Tip Machine. I don't worry so much about the alighnment thing as the unit comes with a tip holder. Once the glue bites I'll take a piece of paper towel or tissue and as I turn the tip. I'll pick up the excess glue after applying pressure of course. The less mess, the less on the ferrule I need to get off.

I don't recommend this on Ivory ferrules though. The Williard' grinding wheel is brutal on Ivory. I give that job to the lathe man. LOL Although, my lathe man thinks it's his responsibility to take the ferrule down on the sides to keep me coming back. That drives me crazy. I go for an EEG everytime to see the damages. I have a stroke everytime he even reaches for that 220 grit to take the excess glue off the ferrule. I've told him don't do it as respectful as I can. Seriously, one time I told him as he was reaching for it, "Listen, I've got to go outside, your driving me nuts". I can feel the blood rushing to my head.

Regards,

C.C.~~tip of the day. LOL

Popcorn
05-08-2004, 12:14 PM
Not every glue is best for every application. Some of the funky plastics used on low end cues as well as ferrules on cues like Cuetec don't glue well with Tweetens or Barge. They are good for ivory, fiber, but the super gels are more universal. Tweetens also requires you to get the timing right. The super gels are almost fool proof. With Tweetens by the way, I would wait more the 10 minutes. When I used to use it I always let it sit for hours to be safe. You have to be able to trust the glue you use. I just put on a new tip for a guy going to a tournament. He has a high end Searing cue but just one shaft. That tip falls off and he is in trouble, and so am I.

mworkman
05-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to get myself a SG Gel type glue and try it out for the next time I put a leather tip on.

Cueless Joey
05-08-2004, 12:50 PM
Loctite 454 is what I'd recommend.

Troy
05-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Gel is the only thing I will use. Duro is made by Loctite, and 454 & Quicktite are the same product. I keep mine in the 'fridge when not in use to extend the shelf-life.

Troy

tateuts
05-08-2004, 01:11 PM
I think that Tweetens is just like the old model glue we used to use.

I used Tweetens once on one tip. I glued it on, waited a couple of hours, carefully shaped the tip by hand and hit a few balls. The tip popped right off and the Tweetens went right into the trash.

I don't even know why I bought the Tweetens when I've never had a CA Gel tip come off - not even one!

Chris

mworkman
05-08-2004, 01:27 PM
So, this would be good but not as good as the 454?

http://images.andale.com/f2/112/125/13325828/click2enlarge/1082489210934_lo.jpg

Popcorn
05-08-2004, 02:56 PM
I would tend to think they are not the same product, price alone would indicate that. From some research I have done. The 454 seems to have some extra properties that makes it more resistant to a list of chemicals and will stick to some hard to glue materials. I think for cues, one may be as good as the other though. Having said that, I now use the 454, why not.

Troy
05-08-2004, 03:32 PM
For tip installation, IMO, yes...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> So, this would be good but not as good as the 454?

http://images.andale.com/f2/112/125/13325828/click2enlarge/1082489210934_lo.jpg <hr /></blockquote>

Troy
05-08-2004, 03:39 PM
220 ??? Wow... Just for you CC, I have some 60 grit... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just kidding of course... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously though, I use 400 followed by 600.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>.....Although, my lathe man thinks it's his responsibility to take the ferrule down on the sides to keep me coming back. That drives me crazy. I go for an EEG everytime to see the damages. I have a stroke everytime he even reaches for that 220 grit to take the excess glue off the ferrule. I've told him don't do it as respectful as I can. Seriously, one time I told him as he was reaching for it, "Listen, I've got to go outside, your driving me nuts". I can feel the blood rushing to my head.

Regards,

C.C.~~tip of the day. LOL <hr /></blockquote>

Troy
05-08-2004, 03:42 PM
I think 454 is aimed at the commercial market and Quicktite is aimed at the consumer market. Possibly I should have added "for my application, the two are the same product".

Troy

Sid_Vicious
05-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Thought crossed mind and I figure some of you might have a clue as to the answer. What glue does say Mcdermott use on their tip installation process???sid

Chris Cass
05-08-2004, 07:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Not every glue is best for every application. Some of the funky plastics used on low end cues as well as ferrules on cues like Cuetec don't glue well with Tweetens or Barge. They are good for ivory, fiber, but the super gels are more universal. Tweetens also requires you to get the timing right. The super gels are almost fool proof. With Tweetens by the way, I would wait more the 10 minutes. When I used to use it I always let it sit for hours to be safe. You have to be able to trust the glue you use. I just put on a new tip for a guy going to a tournament. He has a high end Searing cue but just one shaft. That tip falls off and he is in trouble, and so am I. <hr /></blockquote>

Oh Popcorn,

Your not kidding when you talk about those low end Cuetech cues. I had a hell of a time with that ferrule. It kept crumbling in the center while the outside was speading like a heated plastic. As I tried so hard to get the ferrule straight. Ended up filling it in with plaster paris. I don't know much about putting in a tendon but I would highly recommend changing that ferrule out. Good point there buddy. There's some things I don't think about and your totally right. Select the right glue for the right job.

Regards,

C.C.