PDA

View Full Version : played off the rail

slinkyredfoot
05-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Hi all. Found this site quite some time ago. Just getting around to signing in now and getting aquainted. This board seems like its populated by friendly and knowledgeble players.
So just wanted to say hi.
I used to travel around quite a bit. Have played 8 and 9 all over Canada. Are there any well known potters frequenting this board?
Also, having somewhat settled down, I kinda miss the good old days of gambling and watching from the shadows. Only get to play the same old people day in, day out. It has its advantages though ( no double headlocks under the table at 3am in an unfriendly town with some overconfident banger, over $50, lol).
Anyone know of a good read? Something like, "Playing off the Rail "?
So, I hear that the world 9-ball ch'chips will be in Asia this year. Is this true? If so, it only seems fair. And to be completely fair, a North American destination should get to host at some point as well.
Anyways, keeping it short.
Later

PQQLK9
05-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Hi SRF...welcome to the jungle /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

monkeydude20
05-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Hey Slinkyredfoot,
I just bought that book, Playing off the Rails. I heard it was a totally awesome book. What did you think of it?
Jk /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

slinkyredfoot
05-10-2004, 08:47 PM
Hey. Its a great book. True story of a pro-level potter, who travels around Canada and the US playing in all the major spots. He brings with him a journalist, who also bankroles him BTW, to document the whole trip. They play in both tournaments, as well as seedy back room 9-ball races for crazy amounts of money. I found it quite realistic. I've only played in Canada, and I recognized most of the places and faces referenced in that book when he visited Vancouver and Toronto. I'm sure the americans on this board would say the same about their rooms that were talked about. Good read . I wonder if anyone else has done something like this?

NH_Steve
05-11-2004, 04:41 AM
If you have not read Hustler Days, by RA Dyer, you should enjoy reading it. It chronicles in biography fashion Luther Lassiter, Fats and Jersey Red Jack Breit -- all true 'playing off the rail' roadies from the old days!

Also, McGorty -- Diary of a Billiard Bum is an old classic roadie biography of a 3-C hustler. (Sorry I am blanking on the well-known billiard author at the moment.)

Fred Agnir
05-11-2004, 06:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr>
Also, McGorty -- Diary of a Billiard Bum is an old classic roadie biography of a 3-C hustler. (Sorry I am blanking on the well-known billiard author at the moment.) <hr /></blockquote>
The book has undergone at least two name changes since its first
printing.

McGoorty: A Pool Hustlers Life
McGoorty: Story of a Billiard Bum
McGoorty: A Pool Room Hustler

All the same book. All by Robery Byrne, author of Standard Book of Pool and Billiards

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
05-11-2004, 09:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote slinkyredfoot:</font><hr> ...So, I hear that the world 9-ball ch'chips will be in Asia this year. Is this true?

<font color="blue">Yes. Taiwan. </font color>

If so, it only seems fair. And to be completely fair, a North American destination should get to host at some point as well.

<font color="blue">I would not be surprised. They had the Mosconi Cup in Vegas last year and it was a rousing success. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

cycopath
05-11-2004, 09:16 AM
Wow, I didn't realize it wasn't in Cardiff this year.

I hope they will still import Sid Waddell to do commentary, that guy cracks me up!