PDA

View Full Version : Looking for playoff tips

Candyman
05-10-2004, 08:25 PM
I just finished playing in my first session of APA League play. I played on two different teams and we won 1st place on both. The play-offs start Tuesday night and we must win 3 games to advance. What strategy or tips would you use? We have to do it again the next day with our other team. I hate to tell you, but I am really nervous. Thanks guys, Lock

catscradle
05-11-2004, 04:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> I just finished playing in my first session of APA League play. I played on two different teams and we won 1st place on both. The play-offs start Tuesday night and we must win 3 games to advance. What strategy or tips would you use? We have to do it again the next day with our other team. I hate to tell you, but I am really nervous. Thanks guys, Lock <hr /></blockquote>

I'm in the same situation 8-ball &amp; 9-ball. My plan is to just show up on the appointed day and shoot when I'm asked to. Seems simple to me.
If I'm nervous during my actual play I'll deal with it then, no need to get all worked up ahead of time. Don't forget it is a team effort, the world doesn't rest upon your shoulders alone.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-11-2004, 06:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>
....Don't forget it is a team effort, the world doesn't rest upon your shoulders alone. <hr /></blockquote>

excellent advice.

If you don't get the rolls chances are one of your teammates will.

Candyman, just win the first 3 matches and y'all can go home early /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

don't forget your opponent will feel just as much pressure as you. let us know how you do.

Candyman
05-11-2004, 09:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> I just finished playing in my first session of APA League play. I played on two different teams and we won 1st place on both. The play-offs start Tuesday night and we must win 3 games to advance. What strategy or tips would you use? We have to do it again the next day with our other team. I hate to tell you, but I am really nervous. Thanks guys, Lock <hr /></blockquote>

I'm in the same situation 8-ball &amp; 9-ball. My plan is to just show up on the appointed day and shoot when I'm asked to. Seems simple to me.
If I'm nervous during my actual play I'll deal with it then, no need to get all worked up ahead of time. Don't forget it is a team effort, the world doesn't rest upon your shoulders alone.

<hr /></blockquote>

Good luck to you. I am the captain of one team and I just want to the best job I can for the team. It seems to me that you would use a different game plan in the play-offs than in the regular season. For instance, I would always let my opponent put up first if I won the toss. That way he would have to put up last. This was my strategy for trying to win as many games as I could. Since I don't need but 3 to advance in the play-offs I am thinking of putting up first if I win the toss. Maybe I will use a guy that can grind it out and get us a W on the board. Maybe use another heavy hitter in the second game also. I would want to hold back one of my better players that can take the pressure for later on in the match if things don't go well. I really don't want to put an inexperienced player up with the whole ball of wax on the line.
I think you guys are probably right. Just go out and have a good time. Thanks guys, Lock

cycopath
05-11-2004, 09:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr>It seems to me that you would use a different game plan in the play-offs than in the regular season. For instance, I would always let my opponent put up first if I won the toss. That way he would have to put up last. This was my strategy for trying to win as many games as I could. Since I don't need but 3 to advance in the play-offs I am thinking of putting up first if I win the toss.<hr /></blockquote>
I totally agree with that thinking.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-11-2004, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> ....I am thinking of putting up first if I win the toss. Maybe I will use a guy that can grind it out and get us a W on the board. Maybe use another heavy hitter in the second game also....<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah the strategy is a little different in the playoffs. If you have some dependable players you may want to put up first. That way you basically control who plays when and you can decide who plays last. You want a veteran or someone with icy veins if you have to go to that last match.

Scott Lee
05-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Lock...I like Wally's advice a lot! Good luck!

Scott Lee