PDA

View Full Version : Proper Table lighting (How to)

jdlenner
05-11-2004, 07:20 AM
Hi,

I am building a house with a room for a pool table. I am going to put a Brunswick Medalist 9' table in the room.

Can anyone offer some advice on the best way to light the table? I can either put lights in the ceiling or hanging.

What wattage bulbs? How many lights? Any special arrangement to make the lighing even? ...etc

Thanks

ceebee
05-11-2004, 03:40 PM
you might first look at Brunswick's top-of-the-line Pool Table Light or Diamond's, in order to get a feeling of what's good or desired. We are told to install the lights at 30 inches above the Pool Table surface. That may be for several reasons, some of which may be ambiance.

I have had several Pool Tables & several light styles. I have made 2 Professional style lights myself. I think I like the incandescent lights better. The fluorescent style is cooler & less expensive to operate, but I liked the incandescent 4 bulb, 100 watt each, pendant style light. send me a PM & I'll send you some pics of both styles. My Fluorescent Pool Table Light had 4 lamps too, with translucent side panel for a glowing effect.

jdlenner
05-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Hi ceebee,

I sent you a PM. Actually, I live in Thailand and I don't have access to any Brunswick or Diamond lights. Any pictures you could send me would be a big help.

Thanks

Candyman
05-12-2004, 05:55 AM
If you go to the "search tab" up top and type in "lighting" you will find many posts on this subject. I thing you will get a pretty good idea of what you will need.

jdlenner
05-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Hi,

I searched before with "light" and found nothing. I tried your suggestion and used "lighting" but the only messages I found were from this thread!!

Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

monkeydude20
05-12-2004, 10:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jdlenner:</font><hr> Hi,

I am building a house with a room for a pool table. I am going to put a Brunswick Medalist 9' table in the room.

Can anyone offer some advice on the best way to light the table? I can either put lights in the ceiling or hanging.

What wattage bulbs? How many lights? Any special arrangement to make the lighing even? ...etc

Thanks <hr /></blockquote>

The lighting that I have over my pool table is great. I have a hanging light with a fan(fan not really important, just thought i would add that) with 4 lights in a...
{0 0}
{0 0}
sort of shape. The 4 lights are in a square kind of. They are all only 40 watts, but it gets plenty bright. The light switch is the kind that can adjust to the brightness. So if you want it dimmer you can change it to dimmer, or if you want it really bright you can have it bright. I really like it.
Jk /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BooBoo
05-13-2004, 07:11 AM
According to www.wpa-pool.com (http://www.wpa-pool.com) the recommended lighting is 520 lux or 48 footcandles. Hope this helps

SPetty
05-13-2004, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jdlenner:</font><hr>I searched before with "light" and found nothing. I tried your suggestion and used "lighting" but the only messages I found were from this thread!!

Perhaps I am doing something wrong? <hr /></blockquote>Hi jdlenner,

I suspect that you didn't modify the "Date Range" of the search. It defaults to one week, I think. You'd want to increase that time frame, perhaps to "All posts".

jdlenner
05-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Thanks

jdlenner
05-13-2004, 10:52 AM
That did it. Thanks to you and to everyone else who responded.

Paul_Mon
05-14-2004, 05:23 AM
My home table is lighted with six 40 watt flourescent bulbs. Arranged as shown below. I did it this way after seeing another home installation that was similar. My only problem is when we experience severe heat in the summer. Due to the increased electric demand from customers running their A/C units my electric company reduces the current. I know that they have gone as low as 98 VAC. Current this low will not allow the flourescents to kick on. It's also bad if you have a large screen TV, power supply will not kick on.

START(
%QI3N2%RZ3M9%Sk2N3%UK7G1%VK8Y7%WI3Y4%XI3F3%YY8G0%Z Y9Y3%[\8Z1
%\\6F0%]m2X3%^m3F2%bj9G3%cj9O2%dk0X6
)END

Paul Mon

Pizza Bob
05-14-2004, 08:50 AM
Don't know what materials, etc, you have access to, but if you'd like to see a light I built for my table, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send pictures &amp; description.

Adios,

Pizza Bob