PDA

View Full Version : Predator Shafts.. Skeptic, to believer

05-01-2002, 12:59 PM
Hello all,
Last night I played with a friends cue, which has a predator shaft, for about 45 minutes. FWIW, I was very impressed! It took me awhile to trust not to adjust for the deflection. With my short experience with it, any amt of english above center, did not deflect hardly at all. With a below center hit it did a little, but not much (FYI I consider my one piece shaft to have very little deflection, and the Predator shaft had less than it with low english).
I was skeptical until last night. I am having one made and hopefully it will be ready next week. I put my first "4-pack" together last night with a guys old Brunswick cue with a predator shaft, that I never played with before, on the big tables for the first time since I started playing again last Dec (01). I am hooked... It's almost like cheating! Really!

(Still no home computer access).

Kato
05-01-2002, 01:45 PM
Amen my brother. You are healed!!!!!!

Kato~~~testify

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 02:25 PM
Good afternoon:

Welcome my brother, welcome.

Dr. D.

cheesemouse
05-01-2002, 03:55 PM
TheShot,
Give me a Predator or Give me Death

I got Predator'ed last Sept. You may as well just order the second one now cause your going to need the second to break with...

05-01-2002, 05:22 PM
Well, I hate to say I told you so..... Alright, no I don't!!!! LOL Start saving your change now though, because when you pick up a friend's Predator 2, you'll be upgrading just like I did. I've had a First Edition since the company's debut (way back when they were Clawson cues) and I still love it, but the P2 is really quite something else. Oh, you're going to like the break cue too, I personally LOVE products that allow me to improve my game without actually working at it!! Best of luck and happy shooting!! Lorri

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 05:35 PM
Good evening:

What Lorri failed to mention was that once she borrowed my Predator BK, breaking like she never broke before, she owned her own with-in the next Two (2) weeks.

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-01-2002, 05:38 PM
Glad you are happy with your choice.
I am happy for all the players that get Predators. I think Predator is one of the best shaft's ever made..

Players that use Predators have been paying my pool time for years now.. and also afforded me the opportunity to purchase a few cues too..

Keep up the great sales.. good luck to all the Predator users.. you are very welcome in Cincinnati..

05-01-2002, 05:45 PM
Do any of the Predator users feel there is a difference in also using a Predator butt instead of a non Predator butt?

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 05:52 PM
Good evening:

I use Predator 314 shafts on my Meucci SE12s

Dr. D.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-01-2002, 05:59 PM
I use to sell Predators cues and all the players that have bought them really like them.. and still use them.. The Predator cues are very good cues.

05-01-2002, 06:10 PM
I use to sell Predators cues and all the players that have bought them really like them.. and still use them.. The Predator cues are very good cues.

Tom In Cincy

That is what I've been reading. But most of the reading indicates that most of the benefit of using a Predator comes from the shaft. It seems like the butt part doesn't matter much. And it seems like to buy an entire Predator, shaft & butt, you are paying a lot more for the butt then the shaft. And I wasn't impressed by the looks of the Predator butts. I was wondering if using a Predator butt with the 314? shaft improves it's playability compared to using a 314 shaft with a non Predator butt.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-01-2002, 06:13 PM
Another player preference. Lots of players have opt to just purchase the shaft to apply to their original cue.. Good option for Predator salesmen who are familiar with the competition's Butts... LOL

preacherman
05-01-2002, 09:51 PM
Just curious what type of cue do you use and why?

05-02-2002, 06:44 AM
I picked up a 314 for my McDermott yesterday and so far I love it! It seems to really suit my game, I still need to adjust to exactly how to play shots with it vs my McDermott shaft. I know McDermott isn't necessarily one of the top cues, but the 314 shaft seems to be a HUGE improvement. I can't wait to see what I can do with it once I install a Talisman WB! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Kato
05-02-2002, 07:26 AM
I play with a Predator SLP, I couldn't see spending $175 on a shaft when the whole cue only cost me $270? Now that Break Cue from Predator is on my wish list. I plan on sweet talking some pretty lady into buying me one for my birthday.

I have a Helmstetter 97-10 that I wouldn't mind getting a Predator for. I just wish Predator had a shaft that would match the silver rings just below the joint, it's such a pretty cue I'd hate to deface it. Now I'm used to shooting with no wrap that I might have trouble readjusting.

Kato~~~extremely tired and making very little sense

05-02-2002, 09:59 AM
Hey Kato,
Most cue manufacturers will very happily change the Predator ring to their ring for you so you have a perfect match. They don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts (you have to pay) but they would rather not have you advertise that you use a Predator shaft on their cue, so they will do it.

05-02-2002, 10:01 AM
Actually I had broken with a BK at Valley Forge 2001, and wanted one ever since. Coincidence and a sudden influx of funding prompted my purchase.

Kato
05-02-2002, 11:31 AM
Funny thing about that, I had Bob Manzino make me a shaft for that cue when I had it refinished. The Helmstetter rings weren't the same diameters on the original shaft and the butt. Bob's shafts are perfect and he made sure the rings matched up. He'd probably be nice enough to do the rings on a Predator shaft as well.

Well I learned something new from this thread, thanks guys for the advice.

Kato

Kato
05-02-2002, 11:38 AM
Eddie, I had Dennis Searing order my Predator SLP from Aurora, he had the owner pick out my cue. My plain wood butt is multi-shaded going from dark brown to light brown and back and is actually quite pretty. Of course the SP I had 6 months ago from Hawley's is very dark and not very pleasant looking, certainly not the Hawley's people's fault, sometimes you just get lucky with wood grains. But since playability is the most important aspect of the cue...................

Kato~~~~~~~~by the way thanks Lorri

05-02-2002, 11:52 AM
You're welcome Kato. I may not be into the look of a cue myself, but I certainly appreciate people who are.

05-02-2002, 11:58 AM
BTW Eddie, I personally think that for the first edition Predators, having the whole cue didn't really matter much. I bought my P2 because having the 10 piece butt makes an amazing difference in the cue's playability. If you can find one, I urge you to try it out for yourself ( Predator will be at the Vegas events in May) but be forewarned, there's a three month waiting list for these cues, minimum. Totally worth it, but I'm glad I didn't have to wait that long :-) .

05-02-2002, 12:25 PM
I'm not a skeptic. I just don't like them. They work as advertised, in that they deflect VERY little. But I can't stand the way they feel. And I've made enough shots in my time that if I miss a shot, deflection is almost never the reason why.

Also, in evaluating the predator shaft, I have to compare it to something. I play with a $3000 Cognoscenti, and I have felt for a long time that those are the best playing and feeling cues in existence. I love the fact that there is no metal in the joint. They have a solid, full feel to the hit. The predator, with the front of the shaft hollowed out, is at the other extreme.

As for the break cue, the Predator BK is the best break cue I have ever found. There isn't even a close second.

TomBrooklyn
05-02-2002, 02:12 PM
If it's low deflection that you want, why not get a Meucci?

Predators have the second lowest deflection of any cue. Meucci's have far less deflection than any other cue, including a substantial margin less than even a Predator.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-02-2002, 04:28 PM
Joss and because its weight is distributed perfect for my stroke and playing ability.

TonyM
05-03-2002, 12:32 AM
While Meucci's claim for the lowest squirt shaft is worth looking into, I personally do not believe it to be true. They are a low squirt shaft to be sure, but I still feel that Predator are just a bit lower.

And I don't believe everything that I read (ad copy or otherwise). Try the aim and pivot test and see for yourself.

As to the robot tests, I believe that the Meucci machine has a flaw in the design. But that's another story...

Tony
-wish I hadn't said that now....

05-03-2002, 08:23 AM
Hi Kato,
The Route I took to get the "P" shaft is a blank from predator. The joint comes unfinished. I have a local cuemaker making the joint to match my cue's rings and the Southwest pin. There is no "hollowing out" of the shaft it will be a flat face wood to wood joint. He did say he would have to put the "314" on the shaft for warranty issues which didn't bother me. Ths guy also said he could get me the "BK" for $250.00 (10 bucks more for the wrap) That is the best price I have heard of yet.

05-03-2002, 05:39 PM
WHAT??? Meucci's have less deflection than a Predator? You are kidding right? You have to be. A meucci has the most deflection of any cue I have ever shot with. I can do things with a Predator that I won't even try with a Meucci. Saying a Meucci is better than a Predator is just plain wrong.

clarence
05-04-2002, 05:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> WHAT??? Meucci's have less deflection than a Predator? You are kidding right? You have to be. A meucci has the most deflection of any cue I have ever shot with. I can do things with a Predator that I won't even try with a Meucci. Saying a Meucci is better than a Predator is just plain wrong. <hr></blockquote>

Having played with both I agree that Predator squirts less than Meucci but meucci's are a close 2nd to predator in squirt. Overall I still like my meucci over the predator but due to the less squirt I put on a 314 shaft on my meucci butt. Best combo Ive ever tried.