PDA

View Full Version : Cue Worth

CopyGuy
05-11-2004, 08:46 PM
I've got a Helmstetter I picked up about 14 years ago, more I think, but I'm trying to be conservative. Recently I was told that my cue may be worth some money as this cue was likely made before the Helmstetter switch. How would I know? Does anybody know If there is any truth to this??

Just curious, I paid about 800.00 for it new.
Waiting on a 314 shaft for it, as the original is warped about 1/4" at the center.

tateuts
05-11-2004, 09:13 PM
The Helmstetters that are worth good money are the customs and limited editions that are indvidually signed and dated. Yours might be one of those, in which case it's collectible. Otherwise, the production cues are going for middling prices.

Chris

BLACKHEART
05-12-2004, 01:02 AM
The rule is...If the Q was owned by someone famous,OR was made by someone famous, OR is so full of jewels, OR so few were made by a famouis Qmaker ....THEN THE Q IS WORTH MORE THAT THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE PRICE. OTHER THAN THAT ,ABOUT 1/2 OF THE PRICE WHEN IT WAS NEW. No Helmstedder is worth more than the purchase price...JER

larrynj1
05-12-2004, 12:16 PM
i see adams cues from the early 70's going for 500+ on e-bay on occasion. i have a group of helmstetter "carl conlon specials" with a threaded wood screw joint ( pool cues not billiard cues) that are easily worth more than their original selling price.

CopyGuy
05-27-2004, 07:36 AM
Sorry it took so long for me to respond...
Thank you for the reply.

I originally assumed this to be the case, but I had to ask.

I like the look of the cue and I wanted to get it refinished and wrapped, needless to say this desire conflicted with the idea of the cue being a collectors item.

Now I can refinish and wrap to my hearts content... :^)

Thanks again

piglit
05-28-2004, 06:26 AM
Wrap on, brother!

-pigi