PDA

View Full Version : Playing Off the Rail

monkeydude20
05-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Who has read the book Playing Off the Rail? I wanted to know what you all thought about it. I just bought the book and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. So I was just wondering if it was a really good book, like I heard from some feedback.
Jk /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tateuts
05-11-2004, 09:17 PM
I've read it several times and really enjoyed it. I think the more hardcore railbirds would enjoy reading it. There were two parts I thought were great. One was the Jimmy Mataya episode in Reno, the other was playing Liability for $100 a point at Hard Times.

Chris

Rod
05-11-2004, 09:24 PM
You'll like the book. It was an interesting read. It brought back some old memories for me.

Rod

Tom_In_Cincy
05-11-2004, 09:30 PM
I've read it a few times, and recommended it to my pool playing friends.

I lived in Ohio and knew some of the players mentioned in that chapter of the book.

I've yet to meet Dave McCumber, but I have had the 'unique' experience of meeting Tony Annigoni. For the life of me, I don't know how Mr. McCumber was able to put up with Tony for that lenght of time.

It's definetly one of pool's better books.

Nostroke
05-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Great book. If you traveled around a bit, you'll see many familiar names. I have spoken to a few people though who took exception to Mr McCumber's account of some of the matches/circumstances etc. Nevertheless a good read- Think Ill read it agian tonite.

cycopath
05-11-2004, 10:52 PM
It's an excellent book, that's well written. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Jimmy B
05-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Great Book !

JB