PDA

View Full Version : Do they sell an electronic cue case minder?

05-01-2002, 05:16 PM
Do they sell a small electronic device where you keep one on you and put one in your cue case or briefcase etc., so an alarm or chime sounds if they get a certain distance apart? I was thinking something like this might help me to not leave my cue case behind or maybe alert me if someone tries to walk off with it.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-01-2002, 05:27 PM
Not sure if there is something on the market now.. but it seems like a great idea.. I wouldn't mind looking into getting something like that.. for my wallet and money

Doctor_D
05-01-2002, 05:33 PM
Good evening:

Why not use one of those wristlets that parents use to keep their children close at hand. If it can keep a todler in check it should be able to keep your cue case in tow.

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

Ken
05-01-2002, 07:18 PM
I saw devices at VF that I assume would emit a noise if they were disturbed. That would permit you to turn your back on your case or play with it nearby and not have to look over at it all the time.

The idea of warning you if a certain distance were exceeded might be less practical than a device that would send a radio impulse if it were disturbed. It could be received by something containing a ringer or vibrator like a cell phone.

I would think that that would be available. UHF remote controllers can broadcast 100 feet with no trouble. Just make it capable of being armed by the receiver after the case is set down. It could be kept in the case and noone would know it was there until you walk up to them and offer to give them the butt of the cue to the side of the head.
Ken in CT

heater451
05-01-2002, 07:45 PM
You could try this:

http://www.purseguard.homestead.com/purseguard.html

And, as it says at the bottom of the page, if you desire more range, try their child guard gadget.

Ken
05-01-2002, 08:59 PM
That's a great device. I didn't know they existed. I looked around and found one that goes up to 30 feet which would give you a little more mobility but still prevent either the case or you leaving the room without a warning:

http://www.personal-home-protection-n-security.com/childguard.htm

rackmup
05-02-2002, 05:06 AM
I think this would work. It can be seen at http://www.secure-it.com/products/itwoofa/itwoofa.htm:

http://www.secure-it.com/images/products/itwoofa/product_ani.gif

The ultimate laptop computer anti-theft alarm. This motion sensor alarm will provide great notebook computer anti-theft protection.

Tens of millions of new laptops are produced each year. Statistically 10% of them, representing many millions, are also stolen each year. The costs are staggering with losses suffered both in equipment and data. Protect your laptop from theft with the IT-Woofa.

IT-Woofa is a motion sensor alarm device that when triggered by unauthorized movement emits a 100db, high-pitch, piercing siren. Provided with the package is a key-chain remote control that is used to arm and disarm the unit.

Sleek 1/2" flat profile
Light weight (65gms)
Diameter 120mm (CD size)
Low battery warning lights
Selection of 5 siren tones (100db)
Adjustable volume and sensitivity settings

Motion sensor provides protection from tampering and theft
Low-profile design does not snag on carrying bag, case, or clothes
When armed, 3 flashing LED lights provide visual deterrent.

Product Details

The IT-Woofa antitheft alarm was designed to stop laptop theft. It is lightweight, slim-line, low profile, enhancing your laptops appearance.

Attached with double-sided tape (provided), it is impossible for a thief to remove undetected. Its unique patented design allows for permanent attachment to the lid of the laptop. Its saucer shape makes it impossible to grip and it cannot be pulled or twisted off the laptop.

Its operates using an intelligent movement sensor, controlled by a remote control, incorporating a panic button for use while moving.

Its deterrent value lies in its appearance, 3 flashing LED lights, warning chirps when moved, and piecing sirens. These warnings will deter any opportunistic thief. It is flexible as it can be fitted to a laptop and / or your laptop bag or briefcase.

It gives you freedom from worry about your laptop. While sitting in an airport business lounge you can now get up and fetch your coffee secure in the knowledge that your laptop is protected. When presenting a seminar you can leave your laptop on the table, desk or podium knowing that it cannot be stolen. When you are away from your desk simply leave your laptop protected by the IT-Woofa, and your laptop will still be there when you return. If it gets snatched while walking simply press the panic button and the alarm will cause the thief to drop your laptop and run.

If you close your laptop lid the IT-Woofa will prevent anyone from lifting the lid and accessing your confidential data.

The IT-Woofa is the ultimate in laptop security.

Specifications
Weight 65 gm
Height 15 mm
Diameter 120 mm (CD size)

Type of laptops All
Available colors Black
Remote Range - 15ft

Batteries included in all units:
4 x AAA Batteries
1 x MN21 Battery

Part # ITW-740BK
Retail Price - $79.95

Regards,

Ken

Rich R.
05-02-2002, 05:08 AM
These devises seem great. The only problem I see is the 30 foot maximum distance. That would only let you walk a within a couple of table lengths away. Going to the restroom would be out of the question. After a while, you would turn it off to walk farther away and forget to turn it back on when you returned. It is a great idea though. Rich R.

05-02-2002, 05:12 AM
I know they make them with longer ranges like 100' and probably more. I think I bought 1 in 1981. But it was a little too big and I never used it. I'll look for it again.

Ken
05-02-2002, 08:28 AM
30 feet would be a bit inconvenient. I might be able to get to the john where I sometimes play and to about 6 tables. If it went out the door I would be notified.

I found some with a fixed distance of 150 feet which seemed too much and they were a lot more money. I think for $25 I could deal with the 30 foot limit. Of course, that's what my last cue cost so I don't have much to protect. If I ever get a decent case I think I'll get one.
Ken in CT

SPetty
05-02-2002, 09:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ken:</font><hr> If it went out the door I would be notified.
<hr></blockquote>I can't help but think that by then, it would be too late.