PDA

View Full Version : Ewa Lawrence, Great Commentator!

Gayle in MD
05-12-2004, 08:23 AM
I think Ewa is a great commentator, and she is a favorite of mine anyway, but when she is broadcasting the matches, she is so informative and intelligent, I think she really adds a lot to the match. She is also a very classy lady IMHO. I also really enjoy Robin Dobson. I wish she could do more commentating.

I really enjoy Allen Hopkins and also his wife whenever either of them are on, also, very informative. Whose your favorite?

Gayle in Md.

Nostroke
05-12-2004, 08:44 AM
I have great respect for Allen Hopkins as a poolplayer and businessman but how in the hell can you call Efren 'Efrem' and Mosconi 'Marsconi' on national TV? To me he is showing them no respect and i don't understand it! What if he was playing and the announcers referred to him as Hoskins over and over?

#### leonard
05-12-2004, 09:04 AM
I love the gravel voice of Johnny Ervolino. He is on a few of the taped shows by Pat Fleming.####

PQQLK9
05-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Ditto!

catscradle
05-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Damn sight better than Mitch at least. Good thing he has her to carry him.

UTAddb
05-12-2004, 11:17 AM
I definitely agree on Ewa, she's an excellent commentator. Allen Hopkins is knowledgable but not the best commentator in my opinion. When he says stuff like "it was a great break but a bad break" as the person gets unlucky is just annoying. And you can't forget Sid Waddell! Oh dear!

Gayle in MD
05-12-2004, 11:38 AM
LOL, I know what you mean, and his grammar isn't great either, but I do like his informative information about what the shooter is trying to do, and what didn't work out and why. He knows his stuff.

Gayle in Md.

cycopath
05-12-2004, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> I love the gravel voice of Johnny Ervolino. <hr /></blockquote>

On one of my Accu-Stats tapes, I think it may have been Grady and Buddy commentating and one them mentions Ervolino, and the other says jokingly that Johnny should stop smoking or he is going to ruin his voice. I nearly fell out of my chair with laughter.

Nostroke
05-12-2004, 11:44 AM
One of his nicknames is the Velvet Foghorn.

St Paul Gal
05-12-2004, 02:32 PM
I like Dawn Hopkins' commentary, personally.

Fat Ivory
05-12-2004, 02:33 PM
I think she's terrible, have to turn her down. Here's why:
1)incessant chatter - yikes, take a breath once in a while willya? 2)too often wrong calls - I appreciate that there are player options, but some of her wacky predicted cue ball paths to the next shot (when a safety is the obvious choice) are laughable 3) when she criticizes a player (who could give up the 7) for poor play
Agreed though that off the mic she's terrific.

eg8r
05-12-2004, 02:48 PM
I always enjoyed Grady. He is my favorite. I even bought some 1 pocket tapes from Accustats because Grady was the commentator. I just think he does a better job, than anyone, explaining the shots and the strategy.

The problem I have with Ewa and some of the others is probably a problem of my own. I must not appreciate the really easy stuff, but it seems the Ewa and Mike Sigel will talk about such an excellent perfectly well executed shot. I guess I just don't look at a lot of the shots as excellent since these are pros we are watching and they are expected to do the mundane routine shots everytime. Other than that, I enjoy Ewa much more than Mitch. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

05-13-2004, 12:36 AM
Dawn Hopkins is my favorite commentator. Fred McCann

CarolNYC
05-13-2004, 01:24 AM
Hey there Gayle,
Yep, Ewa is a CLASS act-no doubt-beautiful,talented and very gracious!
I love Allen-and Dawn, well, shes not only my travelling companion and friend, shes such a positive, inspirational person-she gives you that "oomf", if theres such a word, to go out there and do your thing!
Sometimes when commentators foresee certain shots, the players come out with something totally out of character-like, the other day, Allison was left with this:

START(
%AN7O5%BL8P7%CJ7O4%DL8N2%EM7P1%Fr4V3%GK7N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK8M6
%KJ7P7%LJ7N2%MK7Q3%NJ7Q9%OJ7M0%Pl2V4
)END

I thought for sure, as Dawn said, she'll probably play a safe-what does she do-kicks across rail and pockets the 6 ball-helluva shot-so, sometimes things go on that are unforseeable!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KGeeED
05-13-2004, 07:01 AM
I think Mitch is the greatest. His comments on this is really a game of inches really helped improve my game. I also like when he points out what a fantastic shot the player just made and the cue is either left on the rail or behind another ball. I now try to play position the same way. He is the best. LOL

9 Ball Girl
05-13-2004, 08:50 AM
I think commentating is hard. Well not hard but "unpredictable" if you will. In other words, there can be 2 or 3 ways to approach a shot and the guest Pro commentator will usually predict what they think the shooter is going to take or maybe what they themselves would do. So if some of them draw out their little lines to show the paths of the balls and the shooter takes a whole different course, as a poolplayer I can't say that the commentator is wrong because we know that you can take a shot more than 1 way. But as the regular Joe watching, I can't say if they feel that the commentator has no idea what they're talking about or not.

I can't really say anything about Mitch because he'll just comment a little bit of the history of the player, what they've won and whatnot, or how great a shot was. Anybody can do that. But to the Pro commentators, I say kudos to all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Gayle in MD
05-13-2004, 09:08 AM
Hi there kiddo, what's goin' on? Yes, she comes off that way, as a nice gal. So does her husband, IMO.

And Alison, man, she is just incredible. I just love to watch her, she is my pool idol for sure. No wonder you can't tell what she will do, she has so much in her arsenal, she amazes me all the time. Very classy lady!

Gayle in MD
05-13-2004, 09:10 AM
Hi there kiddo, what's goin' on? Yes, she comes off that way, as a nice gal. So does her husband, IMO.

And Alison, man, she is just incredible. I just love to watch her, she is my pool idol for sure. No wonder you can't tell what she will do, she has so much in her arsenal, she amazes me all the time. Very classy lady!

Take care kiddo, good to hear from you.

Love,
Gayle in Md. Carol's got the 'Oomf' too!

05-28-2004, 10:34 AM
Apparently you missed his all-time best: in explaining 9-ball as opposed to 8-ball, Hopkins clarified, "If you lose on the 9, you do not scratch." Honest! This was before a series of generally horrible telecasts from the late '70s, featuring Mosconi (OK, "Marsconi"), Balsis, Lassiter, Jimmy Moore, Fats, Puckett, Cranfield and Crane. GF

05-28-2004, 10:37 AM
Yes, but neither one of them understands that grammatically, you don't "come with a shot"; neither of them (nor anyone else in the booth) understands the difference between "farther" and "further". Great lady, definitely. Great commentator? Not by a long shot - although she could probably be trained to become one. GF

Steve Lipsky
05-28-2004, 11:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> What if he was playing and the announcers referred to him as Hoskins over and over? <hr /></blockquote>

Nostroke, did you happen to notice during the "Classic Billiards" series last month, that when Hopkins was commentating, they spelled his name wrong??

Whenever he would be speaking, and the little graphic would come up with his name, it would appear as "Alan". That is simply ridiculous.

- Steve

Frank_Glenn
05-28-2004, 04:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 071838:</font><hr> Yes, but neither one of them understands that grammatically, you don't "come with a shot"; neither of them (nor anyone else in the booth) understands the difference between "farther" and "further". Great lady, definitely. Great commentator? Not by a long shot - although she could probably be trained to become one. GF <hr /></blockquote>

With all due respect George, "come with a shot" is a common pool term. I hear it all the time and have for years. I think it may be a shorter version of "come up with a (good) shot", but I'm not really sure of its origin. I just know I have heard it for more than 10 years now. I have also heard it after a shot as a question or just a remark, like "I didn't know you were going to come with that shot". Maybe it is a southern thing?

Fred Agnir
05-28-2004, 04:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr>

With all due respect George, "come with a shot" is a common pool term.
<hr /></blockquote>And other sports as well.

I've heard:

Come with the goods
Come with the heat (baseball pitcher)

Fred

Nostroke
05-28-2004, 04:43 PM
No i didn't notice that Steve. I was in Florida and only saw some of those matches intermittently on one of those 20 year old blurry big screens. But yes it is ridiculous but not in the same category as Allen's bad form. Lots of people can't spell and whoever did that in all likelihood thought it correct and it is a correct spelling for some versions of the name.

Allen, on the other hand, IMHO HAS to know that it's Efren, not Efrem, Mosconi not Marsconi. I am sure he hasn't been exposed to so many 'Efrems', he just can't help himself anymore. To mangle the names of two of the true Icons of pool by a fellow near Icon who is a commentator on nationwide TV is just inexcusable. I can't believe he is that ignorant and i surely hope his ego isn't so big that in some twisted way he needs to mock his competition in order to make himself feel better. I just don't know what to think.

By the lack of any response to my comments heretofore, i guess it's not bothersome to anyone else but it bugs me plenty when i hear it.

Malice
05-29-2004, 01:02 PM
I agree on Grady Matthews (Accustats). He's as knowledgeable as anyone, and funny.