PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Guys, Moving A Tip From One Q-To-Another?

Sid_Vicious
05-12-2004, 08:36 PM
I am about to have a tip replaced on a jumper, the existing tip works and is tall(.25") plus the thing cost me a twenty in raw purchase, s-o-o-o I am wanting to take the one off and preserve it for another cue. NOW! The tip is installed with slow setting epoxy and may be very hard to shear off without worry of damaging the ferulle(a caution from someone is why I say that.) Is it feasable to think I can have the synthetic tip cut off using a lathe tool, and still keep enough of the tip to reuse it? I'd also like opinions as to what other method can be used for popping this tip off without flirting with the ferulle???sid

Troy
05-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Mmmm, OK, I'd be a bit nervous too. However, I'd use a razor knife while turning the shaft and cut the tip off close to the ferrule. Trim the residue off and prep for a new tip as usual. The tip you cut off won't be quite as tall this way, but the ferrule should/will be safe. Also, I'm assuming the cut off tip will be a larger diameter then the "new" shaft it will be installed onto.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I am about to have a tip replaced on a jumper, the existing tip works and is tall(.25") plus the thing cost me a twenty in raw purchase, s-o-o-o I am wanting to take the one off and preserve it for another cue. NOW! The tip is installed with slow setting epoxy and may be very hard to shear off without worry of damaging the ferulle(a caution from someone is why I say that.) Is it feasable to think I can have the synthetic tip cut off using a lathe tool, and still keep enough of the tip to reuse it? I'd also like opinions as to what other method can be used for popping this tip off without flirting with the ferulle???sid <hr /></blockquote>

Rip
05-12-2004, 09:12 PM
Sid,
Think about all of the money you spend on cues, cases, gadgets, not to mention the money you keep available for gambling. Yet you're willing to go through all sorts of gyrations to save $20 on a tip?

It makes no sense--but I understand because I do the same thing! Go figure. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Regards,
Rip

stickman
05-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Good ole Stanley with a new blade. I turn the shaft with the chuck (by hand) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif being careful not to cut the ferrule. A little left on the ferrule is okay, since you are going to face off the ferrule anyway. The tip should be still big enough to resurface the bottom of tip for a future install.

Sid_Vicious
05-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Yes, I am going to a 13mm break cue on the transfer now with an XH layered tip. Should be a nice dual experiment...sid

larrynj1
05-12-2004, 10:51 PM
put the shaft on a flat surface and cut the tip off with a razor. don't make a mountain out of a molehill.

buddha162
05-13-2004, 12:28 AM
Yeah, but he's using the tip again on another cue.

SpiderMan
05-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Stick,

This isn't a leather tip. It's hard phenolic. I might try to grind a thin parting tool from a carpet-knife blade, as it will need a square edge (not beveled) to prevent binding.

Not to mention, the tip he wants me to put on in it's place is only 15 thou (.565 vs .550) larger than the ferrule. Grrrr.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
05-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Yea, like Spiderman said, this tip being cut off is a rock hard material(bakelite), adhered to the ferulle using slow set epoxy...it ain't going to be sheared off by my usual method using a knife. I'm guessing that this material will most likely require a true cutting tool, or something made to work such as the carpet knife. This task is a real challenge, especially since I'm wanting to preserve the tip for an install onto a 13mm break cue once the new tip proves to be worthy. Otherwise you could simply sear right through it with a lathe cutoff tool and be done with it...sid

stickman
05-13-2004, 11:55 PM
I've never taken one of those off yet. I've got some on the way though. If you can get it started right on the glue line you might be able to get it done. I have done this a few times, when I wanted to save a tip. With a harder tip it might even be easier. It could help guide through the glue line once started. Let me know how it works. I'll have that experience soon. I have a couple different ones to try. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
05-14-2004, 12:17 AM
Make a little thing like this to put on tips that are the same size as the ferrule or fell off. It is self explanatory.

http://www.popcorn23.mypicgallery.com/img/?/popcorn32/tipgig_large.jpg