PDA

View Full Version : Why Kerry Should Resign

eg8r
05-13-2004, 07:49 AM
Alright, before I post the article, I would like to say this is a bit extreme. This is from the Opinion Journal at the Wall Street Journal... [ QUOTE ]
Yesterday the U.S. Senate considered a measure that would extend federal unemployment benefits for 13 weeks. Twelve Republicans joined 46 Democrats and independent Jim Jeffords in supporting it--but it failed on a 59-40 vote in favor. Sixty votes were required "to overcome objections that extending the benefits violated last year's budget agreement," as the Associated Press explains.

The one senator not voting: John Kerry, who was campaigning in Kentucky. Kerry apparently supported the measure; a spokesman tells the AP, "John Kerry has fought again and again to extend unemployment benefits for workers left behind in the Bush economy." But he couldn't be troubled to cast a vote on their behalf.

We understand that campaigning for president requires a lot of time and travel, and it would be unreasonable to expect Kerry to be in Washington for every Senate vote. But his frequent absences are depriving Massachusetts residents of full representation in Congress, and in this case having what Kerry himself would view as a deleterious effect on public policy.

There's an easy solution: Kerry should quit the Senate, as Bob Dole did in June 1996. This not only would allow the appointment of a full-time replacement but also would demonstrate Kerry's own confidence in his presidential campaign, possibly giving a boost to his party's morale.
<hr /></blockquote> I don't think there has ever been another Senator to miss as much work as Kerry. The man is hardly ever there, it is a wonder how he has so many flip-flop votes.

eg8r

pooltchr
05-13-2004, 08:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>I don't think there has ever been another Senator to miss as much work as Kerry. The man is hardly ever there, it is a wonder how he has so many flip-flop votes.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

You obviously don't live in North Carolina. Our state elected John Edwards, and the first place he went was to Vermont! He is often referred to as our "absentee senator".

It seems it's too difficult for some politicians to focus on doing the job they were elected to do when their primary goal is to try to get elected to do a different job!

eg8r
05-13-2004, 09:43 AM
He should resign from the Senate while he is campainging for President. How can he possibly be doing the job of Senator to the best of his ability if he is out on the campaign trail worry about what he is going to do next year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Nightstalker
05-13-2004, 10:06 AM
He is ever the flip-flopper isn't he? Not sure if he can win the election so he will not resign the senate job just in case. This should not be a surprise from him as he seems to want to play both sides of many things. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif