PDA

View Full Version : A pool table in a apartment

Thomas
05-13-2004, 06:46 PM
A annoyance due to noise for the neighbours? Any experiences?

Thomas

Pelican
05-13-2004, 07:43 PM
No experience, but, geez, it must be a good size apartment. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barbara
05-13-2004, 07:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> No experience, but, geez, it must be a good size apartment. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I used to live in a "garden style" apartment that was 15' x 30' with a little off the side kitchen. The large area was a living room/dining room combination. The bedroom was 13 x 15 with a walk-in closet. Only I didn't have a pool table. I had a Steinway Grand piano. Man, I had to feel for those guys moving it in and out of there!

But seriously, if this apartment's on the second floor or above another apartment, rugs with good padding would diminish the sounds of footsteps about the table. If the table's on a first floor apartment or there's apartments above and to the sides, maybe put up a ceiling padding to keep the noise from traveling upwards and wall coverings to keep the neighbors from complaining of the excessive noise. Any other special consideration would be keeping down the hooting and hollering during the nighttime/early morning hours.

Good Luck!!

Barbara~~~still has that 1914 Steinway... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pelican
05-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Wow Barb, that thing ought to be worth some bucks!

Keith Talent
05-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Not a New York apartment, I'll bet. Unless it's like one of those on a sitcom, which are five times bigger than anybody's real cribs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thomas
05-14-2004, 02:28 AM
Thanks for your answers.

Pelican,

That’s right! It is not easy to find a affordable apartment with a "great enough for a minimum 8 foot table"-room (especially in the Old Town of Lübeck), but, because we found one a week ago (unfortunately someone has signed the contract before us) and this afternoon we will look at a another potential apartment, I am optimistic, that the fortune is with us and we will find one.

Barbara,

I did not thought about the sounds of footsteps (I only thought about the the ball contact noise), thanks for that and your noise diminish tips.

Thomas

KingofCrown
05-14-2004, 08:31 AM
carpet floors or concrete? Friends had a loft with no carpet.. so it was very loud when a ball came off the table. Ended up buying a big rug.

9 Ball Girl
05-14-2004, 08:49 AM
Hey Thomas. I almost and I mean almost thought about dodging living room furniture and getting a 9 footer instead back when I moved in to my apartment in '97. My living room is 21x19, so I think that's sufficient space. But alas, my Mom just couldn't fathom the idea of hopping on to a pool table to sit on if I had guests (as if I would ever allow that! LOL). Anyway, everynow and then I'll sit on my couch and think of what could've been. Sigh.

Rich R.
05-14-2004, 09:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> my Mom just couldn't fathom the idea of hopping on to a pool table to sit on if I had guests <hr /></blockquote>
Your Mom was just looking out for you. She knows, sitting on the rails will ruin the table. That is NOT "a good thing." /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

#### leonard
05-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Some old tables were combos dining room table and pool table. Short cues and spitting the ball out of your mouth are some cures for limited space. ####