PDA

View Full Version : Don't open any emails from me

Wally_in_Cincy
05-14-2004, 06:04 AM
I rarely email any of the CCB members. This morning I had 2 returned emails that I did not send. One of the addresses had voodoodaddy in the address. So if anybody gets any email from me don't open it. Especially if it has some lame title like "Here's the stuff you asked for"

I don't really know much about this stuff. What's the latest and greatest virus detection software out there? It has been a while since I did a scan.

sack316
05-14-2004, 07:38 AM
I don't know if its the greatest but I use a free online virus scan that has always done well for me. Here is the link (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/) if you'd like to check it out. You don't really have to install any software, it'll scan from their site. But if you're on a dial up it is kinda slow.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-14-2004, 08:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> ....if you're on a dial up it is kinda slow. <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm on dialup at home. I'm used to everything being slow /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maybe I'll just start it and practice pool while it runs for hours /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thanx

highsea
05-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Wally, I use Norton for antivirus, SpywareGuard and XoftSpy for trojans and browser hijackers. All in real time scan mode.

If I think I have a problem, I scan with Spybot S&amp;D, XoftSpy, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, Hijack This, FindAll, and Norton.

I use the google toolbar for pop-up blocking, and a custom hosts file to redirect ad servers.

Also, it is important to go to the MS Update site and get current on the critical patches.

-CM

Rod
05-14-2004, 02:45 PM
Wally I run house call once in a great while. If you want a free program installed on you PC that works very well then go here-- AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php) . It really does work great and you can set it to scan every morning or when ever you want. It also has free updates. Here lately a new one comes out every day, so your up to date. You just need to set it for both when the computer is on.

Lastly one program may not be enough, even AVG may miss a trojan or such. Thats when I use housecall or others.

Rod