PDA

View Full Version : Bent elbow on the bridge arm?

JJHolmquist
05-14-2004, 11:43 AM
From most written sources I have seen, they recommend that the elbow on the bridge arm is kept straight, I suppose just to cut out one more variable in your shooting.

My problem is that I am 6'1" tall and when my bridge arm is straight, it seems like it screws up my stroke. My back forearm isn't hanging straight down when I contact the CB when trying to shoot like this. So, my solution is to bend my elbow on my left (bridge) arm. Ive tried the straight elbow many times, and it just doesnt work for me.

Is the answer a longer cue than my normal 58" cue??? I like my cue a lot, and spent nearly 300 on it which is a lot for me in my current financial position, and I would hate to have to spend more. Or is shooting with my elbow bent acceptable?

This problem has really been annoying me, because I want to have as close to a proper stroke as possible. Thanks for any input!!!

Bob_Jewett
05-14-2004, 12:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JJHolmquist:</font><hr> From most written sources I have seen, they recommend that the elbow on the bridge arm is kept straight, I suppose just to cut out one more variable in your shooting. ... <hr /></blockquote>
The standard for snooker players is to place the elbow on the table. This is actually a more stable position than the orthodox pool position of having the elbow straight and locked.

In the end, you have to find a position that's not too uncomfortable. It may help to adopt another snooker technique: grip the butt at the end (rather than on the
wrap).

JJHolmquist
05-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Being in europe, I have seen how the snooker players place their elbows on the table. Now that you mention it I really do like the extra stability... not sure about gripping the butt of the cue. Feels reaaaal weird for me, and pretty much takes me even farther from the stroke of most pool players. For feel I prefer the usual suggestion of 6-8 inches behind the balance point. I don't know, I think I might be worrying about this too much...

Scott Lee
05-14-2004, 02:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JJHolmquist:</font><hr> not sure about gripping the butt of the cue. Feels reaaaal weird for me, and pretty much takes me even farther from the stroke of most pool players. For feel I prefer the usual suggestion of 6-8 inches behind the balance point. I don't know, I think I might be worrying about this too much... <hr /></blockquote>

6-8 inches behind the balance point of the cue is NOT the place for a tall person like yourself, to be holding the cue. If you grip the cue below the wrap area, and your bridge is 6-10 inches long (tip touching the CB to where the stick crosses your knuckles), your elbow will likely be perpendicular to the table...particularly if you are bent low over the cuestick. The old adage of "6-8 inches behind the balance point" was proposed in the days of shorter players, especially players like Mosconi, who was very short. The natural place for someone your height to be holding the cue is very likely on the butt sleeve, below the wrap area...and some have actually held the cue on the butt cap itself. The only other thing you might do, is invest in a 60 inch cue, although then your correct grip position would STILL be at the very end of the wrap.

Scott Lee

phil in sofla
05-14-2004, 07:07 PM
I think the point of recommending a straight elbow is to eliminate a distance or height change of the eyes to the cue ball if you change the amount you're bending your bridging arm.

But, if you keep a constant elbow bend on that bridging arm, you will still achieve a constant head to cue ball height and distance, which is all that is needed for consistency of results.