PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to judge a players skill level?

stockman4180
05-14-2004, 01:17 PM
Regardless of which league you play and what rules they have to determine your handicap, there will always be people that say "he/she" is a 4, or go even further and say "he/she" is a strong 4. I am even guilty of this. But what factors do you use to determine what you think is their skill level? I use factors such as how many balls they can make, breakout knowledge, safety knowledge, use of english, and attitude. The extremes are easy...skill level 2 and 7, and 3 and 6 are fairly easy but then it gets more difficult. What do other people use to judge a players handicap?

Wally_in_Cincy
05-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Off the top of my head I would say cue ball control. Anybody can pocket balls. CB control is harder to execute and good CB control is harder to hide.

SPetty
05-14-2004, 01:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>Anybody can pocket balls.<hr /></blockquote>BWAAAHAAAHAAHAHAHA!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

kenz54
05-14-2004, 02:10 PM
I agree with Wally. Cue ball control is the key criteria I use to judge the overall play of others.

Rod
05-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Wally, Spetty thinks you made a funny! You know for most shots if all we had to do is pocket the ball we'd all be champions. Unfortunately however we normally have to send whitey somewhwere. For some that could be to the land of OZ or some such untravled distant land. For others however it's just a little off the main road, we don't want to get lost. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Yet others may choose to take a bend in the fork because they know the usual road doesn't go there. It's those journeys that can cause a miss or two or more. Once we know what to expect and the best road to take, It all blends. LOL

Rod

9 Ball Girl
05-14-2004, 02:25 PM
What? J/K!!!

I have to go with cueball control too.

Chris Cass
05-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Hi Stockman,

I used to watch them play and if they missed one ball in 45 minutes I'd jump up there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Big_Jon
05-14-2004, 04:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> What? J/K!!!

I have to go with cueball control too. <hr /></blockquote>

I would have to go with Wendy and add the bridge and stroke, i can't believe nobody listed those two... Yes, anybody can pocket balls /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif , and anybody can get a few rolls and make it look like they have cue ball control, but IMHO, the stroke never lies. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks,

Jon

Frank_Glenn
05-14-2004, 04:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Stockman,

I used to watch them play and if they missed one ball in 45 minutes I'd jump up there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

I think I heard Luther say that once. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bob_Jewett
05-14-2004, 06:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Stockman,
I used to watch them play and if they missed one ball in 45 minutes I'd jump up there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I think I heard Luther say that once. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>
In the quote I remember, Luther said he'd watch them for an hour. I guess that makes Luther 33% better than Chris.

Frank_Glenn
05-14-2004, 09:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>
In the quote I remember, Luther said he'd watch them for an hour. I guess that makes Luther 33% better than Chris. <hr /></blockquote>

Or it could mean Chris is a little quick to jump up. YMMV /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Cass
05-15-2004, 12:00 AM
Seriously Frank,

Are you pulling my leg? Luther Lassiter right?

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
05-15-2004, 12:06 AM
Hey Bob,

You better quit that. I'm starting to like you more. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHA This is too funny,

Regards,

C.C.~~33% better LOL. I actually went by that concept when I was out late in the pool halls on the weekends. That's what I'd look for. I never thought someone of that status would think the same way. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Unless your pulling my leg too. LOL

bluewolf
05-15-2004, 05:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stockman4180:</font><hr> Regardless of which league you play and what rules they have to determine your handicap, there will always be people that say "he/she" is a 4, or go even further and say "he/she" is a strong 4. I use factors such as how many balls they can make, breakout knowledge, safety knowledge, use of english, and attitude. The extremes are easy...skill level 2 and 7, and 3 and 6 are fairly easy but then it gets more difficult. What do other people use to judge a players handicap? <hr /></blockquote>

From what I have seen, it is close between a very strong sl6 and a medium sl7. I would like to say that when a player gets to be a strong sl5, it is obvious by good cue ball control when compared to an sl4, but have seen exceptions. I know a couple of sl5s who can shoot extremely accurately, but so not have as good of shape as other sl5s but they shoot better. I also know some medium sl5s who shoot great, not that great at shape, but play smart. These players do not run 5 balls if they cannot get out. They leave 3 balls on the table, even though they could have done 5 potted, so that they cannot be safed as easily.

There was, for instance, one five I played, who beats her share of other fives. She is a very good shooter, plays a little defense and knows her limitations so plays smart. This enables her to beat sl5 players who are better in the shape department at least 50% of the time. I think that the breaking point on this type of player is that at least the sl5s who have this skill cluster are topped out until they get better at shape.

It is the same way if the sl3 or sl4 is stronger at shape and defense and can shoot reasonably well, well enough to beat a four or a five who plays dumb. I have fallen into that category at times, shooting well enough to get by and winning with smart play against a player who is essentially a higher sl'ball banger'. It is kind of confusing when playing an sl4 or sl5, since the lower sl gets a spot, then when they beat the higher sl, everyone gets upset.

As far as rating, I think that the computer sometimes rates someone below their ability for awhile but it eventually catches up with them.

So I have seen good shooting sl2-sl4 and even a few sl5s, but imo, the breaking point that keeps them from becoming a very good sl5 or a 6 is weaknesses in general shape, reading the table, breaking up clusters and in general, other mental aspects.

Chris Cass
05-15-2004, 05:52 AM
Hi Bob,

Been thinking of what you said. I know you and Frank find it funny but I believe Mr. Lassiter was speaking in terms of straight pool where I was refering to 9 ball bar box. Still, it's nice to know that Luther and I see things in a simular way.

I never read much of anything. Nor have I ever heard much about L.L. I know he was a good drinker and growing up in the pool hall we all had our favorite stone legends we admired. Straight pool is the game I played when coming up. My favorite was Ralph Greenleaf.

Regards,

C.C.~~now it's #### Leonard. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#### leonard
05-15-2004, 07:28 AM
Chris now I am laughing. I couldn't play nor drink with Ralph.

I always went by cueball control it is hard to miss easy shots as Willie Munson would say. I did learn my cueball control from the best controller of the cueball. Joe Canton he was long on control and short on height. If he ever learned to play lefthanded he have been in the Hall.####

Frank_Glenn
05-15-2004, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Bob,

Been thinking of what you said. I know you and Frank find it funny but I believe Mr. Lassiter was speaking in terms of straight pool where I was refering to 9 ball bar box. Still, it's nice to know that Luther and I see things in a simular way.

I never read much of anything. Nor have I ever heard much about L.L. I know he was a good drinker and growing up in the pool hall we all had our favorite stone legends we admired. Straight pool is the game I played when coming up. My favorite was Ralph Greenleaf.

Regards,

C.C.~~now it's #### Leonard. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Chris,
Lassiter was better known as a 9 ball player than as a straight pool player. When the road action dried up, he went to the tournaments to play 14.1. I'm sure he would have rather been playing 9 ball.
Frank

Chris Cass
05-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Well Frank,

That is a compliment. I'm 33% shy of Luther huh? That makes my day. See, I'm all wet behind the ears. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks,

C.C.~~I never knew that stuff. very interesting.

Chris Cass
05-15-2004, 12:03 PM
####,

I'm glad I can bring a smile to your face. Your one of my favorite people and not just because of your excellent pool playing. Your truely a great friend. One that never forgets a friend. When you speak of Joe Canton I can tell your respect for your friendship and admiration for his game. I think if he was here today, he would be so proud to have such a worthy friend and equally as proud as your mentor.

Regards,

C.C.~~####, don't sell yourself short, your a phenominal player and has reached heights only few can dream about. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Your undoubtably my favorite.

#### leonard
05-17-2004, 06:10 AM
Luther played his nineball/straight pool in the Action Capital of the World Norfolk,Va. It wasn't till the action dried up and he went on the road with Jimmy Moore and Don Willis did he learn that people played nineball for a dollar a game.

His greatest game was running 92 and out on a big gambler there for $5000. His opponent needed 8 if my memory serves me. He was playing him 100 to 60. This was in the early 50s when minimum wage was 80 cents an hour.####

Predator314
05-17-2004, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stockman4180:</font><hr> But what factors do you use to determine what you think is their skill level? <hr /></blockquote>

I usually end up using my check book to determing their skill /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't think you can use the bridge as a good guide all the time. There's a road man that comes through here quite often that can just flat out play some pool. If you watched him hold a cue and then I told you he is one of the best around, you would laugh at me. Once you see him stroke the ball, I get to laugh back /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Carlo
05-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Mostly, you can tell a pool player by their haircut.
I have documented my logic at
http://www.carlopool.com/haircut.htm
Carlo

Chris Cass
05-17-2004, 08:41 AM
HAHAHAHAA

Your funny.

C.C.

JohnnyP
05-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Leonard: I played in St. Elmo's in Norfolk in the late '60's. I was in the USN, and on the weekends I'd grab a bus headed for Granby St. and play pool all night.

I was on a practice table one night, minding my own business, when one of the regulars came over and convinced me that I should go ask this old timer sititng on the sidelines if he wanted to play some nineball. Turns out it was Wimpy. He looked really old then, but I was only twenty, what'd I know? After the place got done laughing, I went over and apologized, and offered to shake on it. He held out his left hand.

Does anyone remember a guy called "Cash" McCall? He was a pretty good player, and ran a bartender's school downtown. I thought I could play poker, too, but he steered me away from the games. I told him I played pretty conservatively, and he said "what are you going to do if they give you three aces?"

#### leonard
05-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Johnny, Whimpy was just protecting his source of income when he offered you his left hand. He was always the gentlemen, he didn't do that to offend.

Joe Balsis was the only player who wasn't afraid to shake anyones hand.####

pooltchr
05-17-2004, 10:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr>I would have to go with Wendy and add the bridge and stroke, i can't believe nobody listed those two... the stroke never lies. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks,

Jon <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know about that...If you rated Keith M. strictly on his stroke, I would have to buy him in ANY calcutta!

I think you have to take in the whole picture, mechanics, cue ball control, shot making, and strategy...it all comes in to play in determining how well someone plays.