PDA

View Full Version : 60 inch cue older Franklin Southwest

dr_billiards
05-15-2004, 08:59 AM
I have an older Franklin Southwest cue. It is a plain jane model with purple heart/maple rings. It is made out of golden birdseye, not a stain.Textured leather wrap. I just had it refinished with 2 new shafts made for it.30 inch butt and 30 inch shafts. Anyone know what it is worth?
Thanks,
Doc B

Chris Cass
05-15-2004, 11:49 AM
Hi Doc,

Long time no see. I have no clue what it's worth. Did S.W. make the shafts for you?

Regards,

C.C.

dr_billiards
05-15-2004, 04:00 PM
No, I never had original shafts for it. I bought the butt off of a guy, and it stayed in my case in the closet for years. I took it to a cuemaker who refinished it, replaced the leather wrap, and made 2 new shafts for it. It hits like a train wreck. I really should keep it,but I have too many cues and not enough hands for all of them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
05-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Hi Doc,

I couldn't tell ya. The butt is the worth of the cue but the shafts although may be just as good as the S.W. made shafts and even have the same tapper as the S.W. but, it's not a S.W.

You may get good money for it and you seem like the kind of guy that would tell someone this when selling it. Heck, you did here. My personall opinion is that you buy 1 S.W. shaft new. Sell it as the S.W. it was ment to be. My second would be to sell the shafts seperate. That's just my opinion though. I think you would get more out of it.

Im my experience when I bought my cue well, ordered it in 1989. S.W. when hiring new employees would train them in cuemaking. The cues they made weren't made by Jerry so Jerry made them finish them in a satan finish. They hit every bit of the S.W. but were sold for $400. Then, they had small waiting lists for these cues, maybe 5. Talking with a friend of mine recently who is a good friend of Laurie'. He lived out there in Vegas long ago. He has one and told me the money has gone up along with the list. But they wouldn't put them ahead of the the 8 yr waiting list people. (couldn't resist /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

Regards,

C.C.

tateuts
05-16-2004, 09:35 AM
Does it have the numbered pin? If not, the cue should be authenticated by Laurie Franklin.

Definitely get a SW shaft made and have it fitted. In original condition, I've seen plain jane Franlikn era Southwests go for about $1500. If you don't authenticate the cue, and don't have the shaft, the value could easily be halved.

Chris