PDA

View Full Version : Room size question?

terrymck
05-15-2004, 10:20 AM
The charts show minimum room size for a 9' table of 13'8" by 17'10", assuming a 57" cue. Is that adequate?

Terry

Popcorn
05-15-2004, 10:58 AM
That would be for a 4 x 8. A 9 foot table has a playing field of 50 x 100 inches. The easiest way to tell if you have enough room is to convert the room measurements to inches. Then take the measurement, (in inches), and subtract 120 ( this equals two times 60 inches, the length of a cue plus a little room to move the cue) If the remaining number is less then the 100 or 50 you will not have enough room for a 9 foot table to play properly. Having said that you can be short a little and although it will effect the play a little you can still have a lot of fun with the table. My table is in a room we use for both pool and it is an exercise room. On one end you hit one of the bars on a the tread mill. I could move it, but who cares, we are not playing any championships here, we just want to have a table to practice on.

Frank_Glenn
05-15-2004, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote terrymck:</font><hr> The charts show minimum room size for a 9' table of 13'8" by 17'10", assuming a 57" cue. Is that adequate?

Terry <hr /></blockquote>

Not for me. I like to be able to stroke the cue level (or as level as I can). You need at least 5' on each side of the playing surface. I like 5.5' to allow some back swing. My room is 18X22. Big enough for the table, but not much else. This works well for me.

ras314
05-15-2004, 11:53 AM
No. Popcorn's reply makes that obvious.

Sounds like you are as old as me, I also need room for chairs or something after playing a few hours. And whenever you have several people shooting you need even more room.

Popcorn
05-15-2004, 09:14 PM
I always think about the Seinfeld show with Kramer playing pool on the table in the room to small. One of the funniest pool scenes ever done. Except for W.C. Fields in the movie, "The big Broadcast of 1938".

ceebee
05-16-2004, 10:48 AM
here's a good link that describes some MINIMUM room size for each size Pool Table &amp; length of Cue. Minimum size rooms allow players to play Pool, but not necessarily comfortably.

http://www.bestbilliard.com/resources/dimensions.htm

Another consideration is what kind of Pool Table do you compete on &amp; what kind of cloth is it covered with? The old Pool Tables are very nice &amp; sometimes beautiful for another piece of furniture &amp; very nice to play on, but playing on the gorgeous 9 footers, covered with 860 Simonis, won't get you ready for a Bar Box Tournament.

Surfing the net will get you all kinds of good information to use in selecting your Pool Table of choice.