PDA

View Full Version : George case

crawdaddio
05-15-2004, 11:53 PM
Can anyone tell me what these cases are worth? 1x1, 1x2, 2x2, etc.. Are they still made? If so, where can you get one? I really like the way they're made, and someone told me they're really good cases. Any info?
Thanks,
David
P.S, how 'bout some opinions? Anybody have one? Do ya like 'em or hate 'em?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

PQQLK9
05-16-2004, 08:18 AM
I have a 1X1 "It's George" soft case in black suede and it is perfect for us pocket guys that only need to carry one cue to a match.
I have heard that they are no longer made and have been made many offers on mine.
Mine has a strap and a real nice fur type lining.

tateuts
05-16-2004, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote crawdaddio:</font><hr> Can anyone tell me what these cases are worth? 1x1, 1x2, 2x2, etc.. Are they still made? If so, where can you get one? I really like the way they're made, and someone told me they're really good cases. Any info?
Thanks,
David
P.S, how 'bout some opinions? Anybody have one? Do ya like 'em or hate 'em?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

I have some of them - the hard cases. The George cases were made by Mike Roberts in the 1980's and 1990's out of Shreveport Louisana. In the late 1990's, he sold the company to Brunswick. Sales died out and Brunswick discontinued them. I assume the popularity of the Instroke style cowboy case did them in. Brunswick cases have their logo as well as "It's George" - They added a thick edge to the plastic end caps, presumable to enhance production. They are very good, well built cases.

They are collectible but a lot were produced. First off, toward the last few years of production, a George V case was made and it's marked with an imprinted "V". These cases are vinyl. They are not all marked with a V so you have to watch it. They're OK I guess for a cheaper case.

Leather is easy to spot because you can look inside the pocket and see the back side of the leather. The seam down the side is also thick, and the case is heavier.

Here are some re-sell prices. If you see one that has a Fellini style lock (they do exist) these are the early cases. Starting in the ealy 1990's they switched over to a folding latch lock. If you look inside the pocket of these older cases, sometimes they have a handwritted "G" and a date.

Prices are for the leather cases considering excellent condition, no rust on lock, no rips in the leather. Interior 100% intact, no cracks on rim.

1 X 2 - leather $140 - $190

2 X 4 Leather $175 - $225

3 X 6 Leather $300 - $400

Chris

JohnBarton
05-16-2004, 09:38 AM
I tend to think it was Mike Robert's ego and his attempt at starting a cue factory that did the George Cases in. The cases were well built and reasonably priced so there was no reason for them not to succeed other than Mike devoted his resources to cues.

I wuz there - being the one who introduced the Instroke cases to America and had the privelege of getting kicked out of the George booth by Mike Roberts while ordering a personalized custom George case for myself.

John Barton
www.cuecaserepair.com (http://www.cuecaserepair.com)

tateuts
05-16-2004, 10:52 AM
John,

I forgot you were part of that history. It would be interesting for you to post your adventures sometime starting a case company. Why did Mike Roberts kick you out of his booth?

Chris

crawdaddio
05-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Thanks Chris. I have recently acquired a 1x1 with ostrich leather, excellent condition. I think it's relatively new and has the brunswick name along with the george on the bottom. It has a small pocket, a shoulder strap, and a lock (with key). Again, excellent, almost pristine condition and I'm thinking of selling it, any idea what it's worth? I'm guessing 100-180?

tateuts
05-16-2004, 04:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote crawdaddio:</font><hr> Thanks Chris. I have recently acquired a 1x1 with ostrich leather, excellent condition. I think it's relatively new and has the brunswick name along with the george on the bottom. It has a small pocket, a shoulder strap, and a lock (with key). Again, excellent, almost pristine condition and I'm thinking of selling it, any idea what it's worth? I'm guessing 100-180? <hr /></blockquote>

Properly advertised it's worth at least $150. Look inside the case again and you should find another flap in the material - it's probably just flattened out. It should be a 1 X 2. It's a tight fit. The butt goes in first, joint up, and the shafts go in next, tip down. The leather is cowhide embosssed with Ostrich.

Like a lot of billiards stuff, yours probably sat around a shop for awhile. I have an idea. Sell it and use the money for gambling! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chris

JPB
05-16-2004, 08:41 PM
I have a tan color leather 2X4. I got it in the late 80's sometime. Pre-brunswick, post fellini latch. It is the foldover latch thing. Pretty good case. Instrokes are better IMO, although the george is lighter. Fit is tight fully loaded.

Frank_Glenn
05-16-2004, 09:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JPB:</font><hr> I have a tan color leather 2X4. I got it in the late 80's sometime. Pre-brunswick, post fellini latch. It is the foldover latch thing. Pretty good case. Instrokes are better IMO, although the george is lighter. Fit is tight fully loaded. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, to get 2X4 in mine, I need to alter the shafts tip up &amp; down, otherwise they will not fit. It still goes thunk when I pull the top off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif It is lighter than my Innstroke, but not as good looking. Like my cues, I do not think I will get rid of it. I still use it occasionally, especially when I go to a show or big tournament. Sometimes I take it full &amp; sometimes empty, depends on if I'm showing my cues to someone or shopping.

larrynj1
05-16-2004, 09:23 PM
very informative thread. thanks, gents.

crawdaddio
05-16-2004, 11:08 PM
Sorry to contradict you, but it is definitely 1x1. Thank you for the info though /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

crawdaddio
06-08-2004, 12:46 PM
Well, here you go guys and gals.....it's for sale. Here's a blatantly shameful sales link:
http://azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=5379

Thanks for looking,
DC

dr_billiards
06-08-2004, 03:18 PM
If you had listed it on eBAy, I prolly would have bid on it.
Doc B /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

crawdaddio
06-08-2004, 09:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_billiards:</font><hr> If you had listed it on eBAy, I prolly would have bid on it.
Doc B /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

It's going up there next, if there are no offers. I thought I'd give the billiard folks 'round here a shot first. Let me know if you're interested.
Thanks,
DC

JohnBarton
06-09-2004, 12:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> John,

I forgot you were part of that history. It would be interesting for you to post your adventures sometime starting a case company. Why did Mike Roberts kick you out of his booth?

Chris

To this day I am still not sure. I was a total newbie to the trade show side of the billiard industry at that time. I came over to the Kansas City show on the invitation of Toby Kim of Kim Steel tables. While wandering the show I came across the George booth. Having always wanted a George case I decided to order one. I was in the process of ordering one from the saleslady there when Mike Roberts acosted me. I had never met Mike and was looking forward to meeting him. Mike said something to the effect of having paid a lot of money to be at the show and did not see why the competition should feel free to use his booth. Up to this point I had made "maybe" 30 cases in my life and I was there as a guest of someone else with about 18 of those 30 cases. I didn't even know Mike knew I existed.

I guess he either saw me at Toby Kim's booth or heard about me from someone else and was threatened. Anyway, it was quite surreal and I never got my George case :-))

John
<hr /></blockquote>

Big_Jon
06-10-2004, 09:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote crawdaddio:</font><hr> Thanks Chris. I have recently acquired a 1x1 with ostrich leather, excellent condition. I think it's relatively new and has the brunswick name along with the george on the bottom. It has a small pocket, a shoulder strap, and a lock (with key). Again, excellent, almost pristine condition and I'm thinking of selling it, any idea what it's worth? I'm guessing 100-180? <hr /></blockquote>

Properly advertised it's worth at least $150. Look inside the case again and you should find another flap in the material - it's probably just flattened out. It should be a 1 X 2. It's a tight fit. The butt goes in first, joint up, and the shafts go in next, tip down. The leather is cowhide embosssed with Ostrich.

Like a lot of billiards stuff, yours probably sat around a shop for awhile. I have an idea. Sell it and use the money for gambling! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

Ok, so this one should be worth at least $150? lol its a 1x2, a few scuffs.
http://jtcues.com/images/Picture26.jpg
http://jtcues.com/images/Picture27.jpg

Thanks,

Jon

tateuts
06-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Jon,

The Brunswick ones do go for a little less - but you would probably get $125 for it.

Chris