PDA

View Full Version : Making It Happen - Questions For Consideration

Doctor_D
05-02-2002, 05:56 AM
Good morning:

The issue and/or question, How Can We Make Pool Flourish and How Can We Improve Pool's Image, have recently been posted and discussed at great length. Needless to say, based on the quality and quantity of the responses, there is a high level of interest amongst all of us to see pool move to a higher level.

However, and yes with that goal and objective in mind, I would like to ask the following questions.

1. What would be the desired level, when compared to other sports of the day, to which you would like to see pool elevated?

2. How would YOU as an individual benefit when pool has been elevated to the level desired?

3. What personal contribution and/or investment, financial and/or otherwise, are YOU willing make in order to see pool elevated to a higher level?

4. What is in it for the viewing public, those individuals who do not play pool, which would allow the game and the sport to grow in popularity?

5. What would motivate businesses and/or corporate sponsors to invest a percentage of their public relations and/or marketing budgets now and in the future?

6. What would be the indicator and/or delineator which would indicate, proving beyond a shadow of a doubt, that our goals and objectives have been attained?

7. Last, and by no means least, is this possible?

I am most interested, as I am certain all on this CCB would be, in your responses to these few questions.

Dr. D.

Jay M
05-02-2002, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>1. What would be the desired level, when compared to other sports of the day, to which you would like to see pool elevated? <hr></blockquote>

Something similar to the LPGA would be an attainable goal. Personally I'd like to see pool make it to the level of the PGA, but that isn't realistically going to happen within the next 10 years.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>2. How would YOU as an individual benefit when pool has been elevated to the level desired? <hr></blockquote>

It would make the pursuit of pool as a means to make a living a realistic goal. As it stands right now, there are only two ways to make a decent living at pool. You can be one of the 10 or so people who actually made a living at it OR you can be a gambler (which is always a losing proposition in the long run).

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>3. What personal contribution and/or investment, financial and/or otherwise, are YOU willing make in order to see pool elevated to a higher level? <hr></blockquote>

At this point, I'm willing to put in the time and my personal contacts to make it work. Unfortunately, my personal business is taking up my finances at the moment, but if that changes, I'll commit resources in the form of money as well.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>4. What is in it for the viewing public, those individuals who do not play pool, which would allow the game and the sport to grow in popularity? <hr></blockquote>

You have to market the personalities while teaching the intricacies of the game.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>5. What would motivate businesses and/or corporate sponsors to invest a percentage of their public relations and/or marketing budgets now and in the future? <hr></blockquote>

The only real reason for a corporate sponsor to invest is ROI (return on investment). The ways that a potential sponsor can get that ROI are:
1)Exposure - This doesn't really apply to the large corporate sponsors as they can get a greater return (initially) from the established sports. Exposure is a plus for smaller and medium sized businesses.

2)Product Sales - Only applicable to those products which can claim a tie, however tenuous, with the sport.

3)Good Will - Some of the large corporations burn off remaining advertising funds that are eligible for tax write-offs by advertising for good will within the general public. Those are the ads you see for companies like 3m (remember the series about "we make the things that let others make your life easier"?) that don't really sell anything to the general public.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>6. What would be the indicator and/or delineator which would indicate, proving beyond a shadow of a doubt, that our goals and objectives have been attained? <hr></blockquote>

General acceptance of pool as a sport, rather than an entertainment.

A reasonable number of players making a decent living at the sport.

A shift in focus from the gambling to the game itself.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>7. Last, and by no means least, is this possible? <hr></blockquote>

Not under the current set of conditions. The entire business of pool from the very lowest level to the highest level is completely short-sighted and cutthroat. Until the players and the industry are willing to look ahead and lose the instant gratification point of view, the game will continue to languish. If the industry would take a serious attempt at establishing pool, I feel that it would still take a goodly amount of time to get it to a reasonable level, but it would at least be possible.

Jay M

Rich R.
05-02-2002, 08:32 AM
1. What would be the desired level, when compared to other sports of the day, to which you would like to see pool elevated?

I agree with Jay on this one, something similar to the LPGA, but ultimately the PGA. But we have to walk before we can run.

2. How would YOU as an individual benefit when pool has been elevated to the level desired?

As a fan of the game itself, I would gain better access to more tournament coverage as the TV networks jumb on the pool band wagon. Tournaments that I could not attend would just be a remote control button away.

3. What personal contribution and/or investment, financial and/or otherwise, are YOU willing make in order to see pool elevated to a higher level?

I would like to say that I would work to promote and conduct tournaments and do many other things that would help, but since I am not really the business type, I know that will most likely never happen and I will leave that to the professionals. My contibution would be, as it is now, my support of pool events to the best of my ability. I believe we should all attend as many tournaments as we can to show our support. If tournaments would draw more spectators, the powers that be would realize that promoting pool could be profitable. As it is, I have been at too many local and regional tournaments and, at the final match, there are only the two players involved, the TD and a handful of spectators. The other players do not even stay around to see who wins. For pool to grow, pool players have to support the small events before they will have more large events.

4. What is in it for the viewing public, those individuals who do not play pool, which would allow the game and the sport to grow in popularity?

I believe as pool grows and there is more media coverage of tournament events, more people will be exposed to this wonderful game and learn more about it. They may begin to play and attend tournaments. Public exposer to pool can only help in the growth of pool in general.

5. What would motivate businesses and/or corporate sponsors to invest a percentage of their public relations and/or marketing budgets now and in the future?

It amazes me that the corporate world has not started backing pool. There are millions of people, both sexes, playing pool every day, in basements, bar rooms and pool halls, ranging in age from young children to very senior citizens. Why the manufacturers of casual clothing, shoes, and cars as well as others, have not jumped on this market is beyond my comprehension.

6. What would be the indicator and/or delineator which would indicate, proving beyond a shadow of a doubt, that our goals and objectives have been attained?

I can only agree with Jay on this point.

7. Last, and by no means least, is this possible?

I believe it is possible, but it is not going to happen over night. We need people with a vision of the future to get involved and not be so interested in today's pay off. The large pay off is down the road quite a distance, but we have to move from the back rooms of pool halls to the board rooms of corporations to get it done. This will take time.

JMHO. Rich R.

05-03-2002, 12:34 PM
Your comments are right on the money, No one speaks of how far Pool has come in the last 30 years, here in the South the pool rooms where "hole in the walls" bad tables, and rough as a cob, If you didn't have a gun when you went in they would give you one so you could start out even. Our sport has come a long way but until people stop looking down on Pool players because of the Hustler image from the past we will always have this debate. How do you raise the interest and image ??

#### leonard
05-04-2002, 01:54 PM
I don't think it can happen for the men maybe the women have a chance. When two of the most famous people that ever played pool well had the chance to run a pool tournament they instead chose to run golf tourneys. The two pool hustlers were Jackie Gleason and Bob Hope. When the city of Cleveland celebrated Bobs 75 birthday they didn't give him a set of golf clubs they gave him a two-piece cue because he was know in Cleveland as a pool hustler not a golfer.

They only hope for pool is for the Pool Industry to sue every city in the United States that has its own municipal golf course to either open a municpal poolroom or divest themselves of their golf course. It seems they promote one sport while neglecting others. Senility is coming ####