PDA

View Full Version : who makes a better cue!

justbrake
05-16-2004, 05:14 PM
southwest or tascarella!

Harold Acosta
05-16-2004, 05:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> southwest or tascarella! <hr /></blockquote>

Hmmm, very tough choice. I have seen Southwest only in pictures and they look great, don't know how they play.

I once ordered a Tascarella for a friend. Balabuska style, 4 points, white and green specks wrap, mother of pearl diamonds, etc. Craftmanship was excellent, no visible flaws. Paid $1500 quite some time ago (6 or 7 years ago). Don't know how it plays either but it sure looked great!

Chris Cass
05-16-2004, 09:14 PM
I have a S.W. but never played nor seen a Tascarella(sp?). I've heard of them though. I can say my S.W. plays very solid. Like one piece of wood. It's a very easy cue to adapt to playing with as it's extremely predictable.

Regards,

C.C.

dr_billiards
05-17-2004, 03:18 AM
I've played with about every stick know to man. I have personally owned over 300 cues, and the best hitting and feeling stick that I have ever played with is made by a guy from my hometown.Madison Bob Griffin.Check out his site.
web page (http://www.madisonbobs.com)

Chris Cass
05-17-2004, 05:19 AM
The prices are great and the cues look great. I notice the ring work looks very simular to a S.W. design also, the joint style collars. Wish Barry did something like that but it might not be his cup of tea.

Regards,

C.C.

tateuts
05-18-2004, 11:22 AM
Just as there are a lot of different playing styles, when it gets to the big name makers it's all just a matter of personal preference.

I've found that you can hand a cue to 10 different players and get 10 different opinions based on what they're already used to, each of which is different than your own.

When it comes down to playing with a cue, what matters the most is that you are confident that the cue is right for you. If you are not after a reasonable adjustment period, say two to four weeks, just get rid of it.

Chris

woody_968
05-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi Chris, not trying to take the thread away from the origianal post but wanted to mention I have two of the Madison Bob cues and must say they play better than anything I have ever owned. Not to mention his inlay work is beatiful. My camera is broke but as soon as I get a knew one I will take some pictures to post.

woody

ceebee
05-18-2004, 02:01 PM
assuming those 2 companies are the only "good hitting" Cue making companies is wrong. I had a Jim Ingram (OK City) that was good as anything I've ever had the pleasure to stroke with. Anything... Sorry I ever parted with it, especially since I parted with it for money, a perishable commodity.

I've owned Richard Blacks, a Rambow, a top drawer Schon &amp; Pechauer, a Verl Horn, a superior Helmstetter &amp; a couple of the cues we're speaking of.

A Pool Cue's hit can be changed by altering the Tip, Pad, Ferrule, Shaft, Weight &amp; Balance. That's what a good Custom Cue Maker can do for you &amp; there are lots of them. My buddy here in Tulsa makes a great Cue &amp; has been making &amp; repairing Cues for over 10 years.

Cueless Joey
05-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Best hitting cues I've tried are Hagan, Howard/Mace and Zylr.
There's a reason why they command good prices even on Ebay.
Most cues sell a fraction of their original cost on Ebay.
Not those three names.

Chris Cass
05-18-2004, 11:13 PM
Hi Woody,

I'd enjoy seeing them and I'm sure everyone else would too. I also don't think it's harming the thread. It's a good thread.

Regards,

C.C.~~thanks justbrake. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif