PDA

View Full Version : I Won the Tournament!!!

nhp
05-16-2004, 08:36 PM
I went undefeated to win the Northridge Championship IV, took $1000 for 1st place plus an extra $150 for splitting buying myself in the calcutta with a friend. It was quite a day, I played Bryce Avila early today, he spotted me 4 games to 8 (he is 160 speed, I am 71), and he immediately won the first 4 games by breaking and running a few and then me dogging a few shots and leaving him the outs. Suddenly I caught fire and started running out on him. I ran a rack from the break to get to the hill, and then broke and ran to the 3 ball for a 3-9 combo for the win. After that I played my friend Patrick, giving him 2-8, we both kind of struggled at first but I caught stroke and ran a tough rack for the win. In the last match, I played a very nice guy named Simon, spotting him 2 games to 8, and we went hill-hill. I ran from the 1 to the 7, but was unable to break up the 7-8 cluster, so I went for a tough cut on the 7 and missed it. He ran the two easy balls but got funny on the 9, leaving himself on the short side on the end rail, but it was a makeable shot. I knew it was over, but he left it hanging in the hole for me. I literally fell out my seat realizing I had just won. That guy Simon is a true gentlemen, he congratulated me, and told me that he wasn't in it to make money, he just wanted to learn, and that he learned alot from how I ran a few tough outs. If I were in his shoes, I would have been really upset, but he took it in stride, and gladly took his second place money. So I ended up getting lucky for the win, but I'll take it any way I can get it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nhp
05-16-2004, 08:41 PM
By the way, Scott Lee, I did utilize one important thing you taught me a while back, which was the pause at the cueball. I've been using that ever since. Although I was under immense pressure when I played some of the big guns, it definately helped me focus and relax a little. It contributed to quite a few games I won.

Thanks again,
Nate

9 Ball Girl
05-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Congratulations! See, things are beginning to look up! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wendy<---very happy for nhp

nhp
05-16-2004, 08:50 PM
lol it's funny, I've been playing alot better since I broke up with my girlfriend. Thanks for the support!

Tom_In_Cincy
05-16-2004, 08:53 PM
Congrats on the BIG win. That must have been Sweet.

Now you are $1150 closer to that new car... Great shooting..

Chris Cass
05-16-2004, 09:10 PM
HAHAHAHA Great job!

Regards,

C.C.~~who says we suck here? lets take on all the boards. LOL Oops, maybe I'm a bit too happy for nhp. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highsea
05-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Nice job nhp!

wolfdancer
05-16-2004, 10:01 PM
Congratulations!!!! Nice win over Bryce, especially after he had tied up the match. I first saw him at age 16, score a nice $$$ win, and figured he was going to be a good player. His running mates Amar Kang, and Tony Chohen, ain't too shabby either

nhp
05-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Bryce is one helluva a player, unfortunately balls weren't going in on the break for him during the middle of our match, and I started getting out consistently. I think every time he had an open shot he ran out, and he wasn't even playing his best! He told me he took some time off from the game. Just like Chris said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bryce playing on TV soon. He is a jam-up player, and he's young too.

eg8r
05-17-2004, 05:51 AM
Congratulations on the big win. I am sure this is quite exciting for you. What a great thing to happen to you after all your troubles lately. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now your are $1000 closer to your new car.

Congrats!!!!

eg8r

UWPoolGod
05-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Yeah Bryce is a very good player, congrats on the wins. He hangs out in Seattle occasionally with Rich Geiler. He is a very smooth shooter though.

PQQLK9
05-17-2004, 09:41 AM
Huah! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tateuts
05-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Nat,

I just got the e-mail and I am so excited for you. It takes a lot of poise to play as well as you did the whole time. It also helps that you're playing in as many tournaments as possible.

The important thing is you fired back when you were down and that's about the only way the high speed players are going to lose, because they sure aren't going to beat themselves.

You are the Northridge Champion! That's a big tournament - look at all the good players who showed up. It's something to be proud of.

This was your perfect tournament at the perfect moment. I am proud of you.

Chris

Scott Lee
05-17-2004, 12:51 PM
Nate...Way to Go! I knew you COULD do it...it was just a matter of if you WOULD do it! LOL Nothing wrong with a little bit of luck at the end either! Congratulations on a fine win, and a great prize!

Scott

Wayne
05-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Way to go Nat. You played very strong and deserved to win. You seemed to bend a little under pressure but you never broke which is very important because it usually means you are getting mentally tougher. Next time I play you you are getting NO shots, I'll tie you up like a rodeo bull (just kidding). (Nat beat me 8-7 to send me to the loser side). VERY WELL DONE.
Wayne

nhp
05-18-2004, 04:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wayne:</font><hr> Way to go Nat. You played very strong and deserved to win. You seemed to bend a little under pressure but you never broke which is very important because it usually means you are getting mentally tougher. Next time I play you you are getting NO shots, I'll tie you up like a rodeo bull (just kidding). (Nat beat me 8-7 to send me to the loser side). VERY WELL DONE.
Wayne <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Wayne. You were definately one of the toughest players there. Alot of times I would be trying to focus so hard that I would shark myself. Yesterday I went in to practice, I was trying to block out everything. It's alot harder than I thought. What I like about your game is you are a good decision maker. When you stay in line, you run out, when you get out of line, you play great safes. Sometimes when I get out of line I get impatient and I will go for the shot anyways, and usually dog it. That's just lack of discipline right there. In the tournament I was trying to be very disciplined. In my match with Bryce that worked very well. I missed 2 balls that entire match. Soon enough maybe I'll win as many big tournaments as you have (It seems everywhere I look you win a major tournament) Wayne I wish you luck in your future tournaments, every time you have beaten me I've learned something, so I don't mind. Just don't beat me in the finals of anything! (just kidding).

nhp
05-18-2004, 04:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Nat,

I just got the e-mail and I am so excited for you. It takes a lot of poise to play as well as you did the whole time. It also helps that you're playing in as many tournaments as possible.

The important thing is you fired back when you were down and that's about the only way the high speed players are going to lose, because they sure aren't going to beat themselves.

You are the Northridge Champion! That's a big tournament - look at all the good players who showed up. It's something to be proud of.

This was your perfect tournament at the perfect moment. I am proud of you.

Chris
<hr /></blockquote>

Hey Chris, pretty soon you are going to win a big tournament. Sometimes you play lights-out. You've shut me out scoreless on two separate occasions. If you could just play like that the entire tournament, I am pretty sure you could drill everyone. Hell, you took out LORRY in the Pechaur tour, playing him EVEN. That guy is a 150 speed! Don't worry man, soon enough you'll win one of these. Thanks for the support man!