PDA

View Full Version : Talisman tips

sigep1967
05-17-2004, 08:17 AM
Installed new talisman med tips on my shafts last night and really like the way they hold chalk and don't seem to glaze like my original tips did. One thing how do you keep the center from compressing so much? Should I have put them in a vice for a while? I think I finally got it to stop compressing but it took a while. The hit does not seem as chrisp as the triumph tips that were on there originally but it is not mushy either may try the hard tips next. Anyone out there have any experience with the Talisman hard tips?

Chris Cass
05-17-2004, 08:25 AM
Hi sigep,

I do and don't put them in a vice. The Talisman hard is the way to go for you. These layered tips require very little maintenance so don't mess with them or you'll regret it. Go to the Talisman site and read what they say about tip maintenance.

Regards,

C.C.

Troy
05-17-2004, 09:16 AM
You don't say if you're using the Pro or WB series.
My experience is with the Pro's and I don't find that they "compress" much if any.
If you feel the Medium is too soft for you compared to a Triumph, I suggest you try a Hard.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sigep1967:</font><hr> Installed new talisman med tips on my shafts last night and really like the way they hold chalk and don't seem to glaze like my original tips did. One thing how do you keep the center from compressing so much? Should I have put them in a vice for a while? I think I finally got it to stop compressing but it took a while. The hit does not seem as chrisp as the triumph tips that were on there originally but it is not mushy either may try the hard tips next. Anyone out there have any experience with the Talisman hard tips? <hr /></blockquote>

sigep1967
05-17-2004, 09:42 AM
I really didn't expect them to compress at all due to the reading on the net I had doen prior to purchase. I played for several hours after installing it and I think I have it where it will stay in the prefered dime shape. I used pro domed med tips and used a sandpaper shaper to shape with taking care to go easy and a little at a time to avoid delamination. I did screw one of them up when trimming it but since I got one free I just cut it off and started over. I probably have not played with it enough to really give it a good review but I really like the way it holds chalk. I believe I will try the hard ones next time.

RedHell
05-17-2004, 09:53 AM
I've been using them for the last year now and like you at first I thought they were compressing in the center. But after a while I realised that when shaping them I was leaving the last layer very thin. Just like a 1mm circle in the middle. This thin layer will often come off after a few hours of play and it look like it flattened out.

Once I knew this, I started making sure that when shaping them the last layer would be as thick as possible.

Troy
05-17-2004, 10:05 AM
Very true... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RedHell:</font><hr>.....But after a while I realised that when shaping them I was leaving the last layer very thin. Just like a 1mm circle in the middle. This thin layer will often come off after a few hours of play and it look like it flattened out.

Once I knew this, I started making sure that when shaping them the last layer would be as thick as possible. <hr /></blockquote>

RedHell
05-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Glad to see we share the same experience ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

sigep1967
05-17-2004, 12:19 PM
I didn't have any delamination just a slight compression in the center. Not much but some. I reshaped a few times then took the cue ball and pounded down around the outside first then in the center also rolling the cue ball real hard aroung the tip then roughed it up and kept shooting after that it has not compressed any more.

John in NH
05-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Sigep,

Talisman is a great tip, I have Talisman pro (hard) on one shaft and the other is talisman buffalo (hard) and both play about the same, very little maintenance is needed with either one.

I think they are a good alternative to moori tips at half the price.

Regards,

John

crawdaddio
05-18-2004, 09:09 AM
I agree the talisman are are good tips. I have a med. on one of my cues and I like it alright. However, I recently bought a cue with moori med. tips on both shafts. I have never used the moori before, and I am extremely impressed with the performance. I think I will pay the extra$$ for moori from now on /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif