PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Tables at APA Team Nationals

Wally_in_Cincy
05-02-2002, 09:11 AM
Congratulations to Greg Sullivan.
According to May BD p. 77 :
Diamond Smart Tables will be used in all future APA national events. They will be outfitted with Simonis 860 cloth and Super Aramith balls.

I have a question. How tight will the pockets be?

Diamond has partnered with the 800 lb. gorilla of amateur pool and I hope it's a mutually beneficial relationship. I dream of the day when I will see quality equipment like this in our local APA venues. Is there anything we league bangers can do to advance that possibility?

cheesemouse
05-02-2002, 09:25 AM
Wally,
The pockets except well struck shots but swell-up the over powered poorly hit ones. You are in for a treat the first time you play on them you will be sold.......
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I dream of the day when I will see quality equipment like this in our local APA venues. Is there anything we league bangers can do to advance that possibility?<hr></blockquote>
Rag on the proprietors till they relent /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Be relentless O'Man.

Doctor_D
05-02-2002, 09:47 AM
Good afternoon:

And, if they do not respond and/or repent, OFF WITH THEIR HEADS !!!

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Dr. D.

Greg/Diamond
05-07-2002, 10:23 PM
Wally:.......Sorry I'm so long answering you're post. Seems like I never have enough hours in the day. The pocket specifications for the APA were set by Terry Bell and Larry Hubbert of the APA. The opening on the corner pocket tip to tip is 4 and 13/16 inches with an angle of 140 degrees around the tip. The sides are at 5 and 5/16 inches. The slate depth is constructed where 40 percent of the object ball must remain visible when at it's deepest point in the pocket........ These specs are close to my standard billiard cut pocket only allowing for a 140 degree corner rather than my standard 142 degree..... The relaxing of the angle makes the acceptance of early rail contact more possible. These specs are by no means easy, you will still be punished for poor cue ball control. However the pockets are not as difficult as regular pro specs........ The general feeling was making the pockets too difficult would upset the previously established handicap system... I'm curious to hear players responces to these specs. At least we have specs established and if something is wrong it can be changed... It's definitely a step in the right direction IMO......Greg/Diamond

Wally_in_Cincy
05-08-2002, 10:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Greg/Diamond:</font><hr> Wally:.......Sorry I'm so long answering you're post. Seems like I never have enough hours in the day. The pocket specifications for the APA were set by Terry Bell and Larry Hubbert of the APA. The opening on the corner pocket tip to tip is 4 and 13/16 inches with an angle of 140 degrees around the tip. The sides are at 5 and 9/16 inches. The slate depth is constructed where 40 percent of the object ball must remain visible when at it's deepest point in the pocket........ These specs are close to my standard billiard cut pocket only allowing for a 140 degree corner rather than my standard 142 degree..... The relaxing of the angle makes the acceptance of early rail contact more possible. These specs are by no means easy, you will still be punished for poor cue ball control. However the pockets are not as difficult as regular pro specs........ The general feeling was making the pockets too difficult would upset the previously established handicap system... I'm curious to hear players responces to these specs. At least we have specs established and if something is wrong it can be changed... It's definitely a step in the right direction IMO......Greg/Diamond <hr></blockquote>

Greg,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and thanks for your efforts to make amateur pool a more enjoyable experience.

I am really not as familiar with pocket specs as some other CCBers but those specs sound pretty close to a typical Valley Cougar. Maybe even a bit more forgiving.

Interesting you should mention the handicap system in regard to pocket size. At our annual regional tourney here in Southwest Ohio our league operator has a company called Heartland Productions furnish the tables. The pockets are at least a half inch wider than the Valley Cougars we normally play on. A lot of players' handicaps go up during this tourney, some due to previous sandbagging, but I am convinced some are due to the larger pocket size.

The first time I saw these tables I told our league op "These pockets are buckets". He thought I was nuts. This year I'm takin' my tape measure with me. LOL!