PDA

View Full Version : Sarin nerve gas used in roadside bomb

highsea
05-17-2004, 10:46 AM
BAGHDAD, Iraq A roadside bomb containing sarin nerve agent recently exploded near a U.S. military convoy, the U.S. military said Monday.

The article (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120137,00.html)

Looks like more of Saddam's non-existent chem weapons are finding their way back into Iraq.

-CM

mred477
05-17-2004, 11:04 AM
Scariest part of that article is Syria. Even though Bush is taking a pounding on finding no WMDs, I'm still happy they're this limited, just so the soldiers haven't had to deal with them much.

Will

Nightstalker
05-17-2004, 01:08 PM
Yep, I guess they aren't so "invisible" afterall. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
05-17-2004, 10:39 PM
That's some mean stuff man. I was always scared of that and blister agent. That's a death nobody wants.

C.C.~~why? Is land that important? I wish we learned more how to preserve life than take it.

highsea
05-18-2004, 01:11 AM
What's equally disturbing is that the insurgents who rigged the bomb apparently didn't know what they had.

Reports described this as a binary artillery round, one of 550 unaccounted for by Iraq left over from the Iran/Iraq war.

The chemicals are held in separate chambers within the shell, and the spinninng of the projectile in flight causes the chambers to break, and the chemicals then mix to create the sarin.

Simply blowing up the shell doesn't properly mix the chemicals, so the weapon is not effective. (thank God)

I hate to think of what would happen if these guys got hold of a 155mm gun and started using these things the way they were designed to be used.

-CM

Nightstalker
05-18-2004, 06:00 AM
Their ignorance was a blessing.