PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Recall (Federal 45 Long Colt semi-wadcutter)

Singlemalt
05-17-2004, 10:58 AM
FYI for you shooters out there...

Federal Cartridge Company is recalling several lots of 45 Long Colt semi-wadcutter
hollow point ammunition product number C45LCA in a Classic 20 round box.

Rounds from these lot numbers may exhibit excessive chamber pressures. Use of this
product may result in firearm damage and/or personal injury.

DO NOT USE LOT NUMBERS 8J191, 8J192, 8J193, 8J194, 8J195, 8J196, 8J197,
8J198, and 8J199. See examples and follow instructions as detailed below.

The lot number can be found on either the back of the carton or on the inside of the end
flap (hand stamped). Examples:

THIS NOTICE APPLIES ONLY TO THE LOTS LISTED ABOVE.
If you possess ammunition from any of these lot numbers, or have questions concerning
this recall, please contact us at 1-800-831-0850 or 1-800-322-2342 and ask for Product
Service.

Federal Cartridge will guarantee shipping charges and replacement product.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

highsea
05-17-2004, 01:19 PM
I have an N-frame S&W in 45LC. Model 25-5, 5" bbl, unfluted cylinder, hogue monogrip, laser engraved. I bought it about 15 years ago when Smith was making small run custom orders. I have never fired it, because it may be worth something someday.

The 45LC is one of those carryover rounds from the black powder days. Ammo manufacturers are very paranoid about people using new ammo in their old SAA 45's or derringers and blowing them to hell. As a result, factory 45LC ammo is loaded very light. A modern revolver like my S&W can stand much higher cylinder pressures, and I seriously doubt these loads would hurt a newer gun.

I'm not advocating ignoring Federal's recall, better safe than sorry, but if I was shooting a newer large frame revolver, or a TC Contender, or something like that, I wouldn't worry too much. JAT

-CM

SpiderMan
05-17-2004, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't shoot it in any gun. After all, they did not quantify "excessive pressure". If they pulled a boner like filling the case with Bullseye or 231 instead of some slower-burning stuff, it could blow up an N-frame S&W.

SpiderMan

highsea
05-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Spidey, I stand corrected on the N-frame Smith.

My reasoning was this. If the Model 29 can stand the 43,500 CUP of the .44 Mag, Than the Model 25 should handle the relatively mild pressures of even the hottest 45LC loads. S&W states in their literature that the M29 is metallurgically different than the M25, and that the M25 is designed for only standard 45LC loads. So no +P loads in the S&W!

The SAAMI maximum pressure limit for a 45LC is listed at 15,900 CUP. Speers manual lists 45LC loads for the Blackhawk and Contender up to 25,000 CUP. That is a 57% increase over the SAAMI max pressure, which is higher even than a proof load. At pressures much over these, especially with used brass, the chance of a case splitting becomes a factor. Even then, damage to the gun is not very likely. (assuming a blackhawk or contender)

Federal's recall was not worded very strongly, IMO. Only that the loads "may" develop higher than normal chamber pressures. If there was a chance that these were anything even close to proof loads, I think they would be a little more urgent in the wording.

It would be interesting to get a sample of the batch and take it apart to see exactly what the problem is.

-CM

Follow-up: Hodgdon lists several 45LC+P loads at 28-30,000 CUP. These loads are supposedly safe in post 1983 M25's (unpinned barrels).