PDA

View Full Version : Help with McDermott butt cap.

datplayer
05-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Hey everyone with a McDermott cue. I'm trying to take off the butt cap to see if I could change the weight. Problem is I'm not sure if it is crewed in or what. The cap on my cue won't budge whether I twist it or pull it. I don't want to pry it off with pliers yet. How should I go about it? I appreciate the help.

catscradle
05-17-2004, 02:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote datplayer:</font><hr> Hey everyone with a McDermott cue. I'm trying to take off the butt cap to see if I could change the weight. Problem is I'm not sure if it is crewed in or what. The cap on my cue won't budge whether I twist it or pull it. I don't want to pry it off with pliers yet. How should I go about it? I appreciate the help. <hr /></blockquote>

It is not screwed in, but it has a ring that holds it on. McDermott has a special tool to compress the butt cap so you can pull it off, but you can do it with a pair of water pump pliers just as well. Be sure to layer an old dish towel or something between the pliers (or McDermott tool) and the actual butt cap in order to protect it. Beyond that point it is hard to describe but real easy once you seen it done or done it by accident. With the pliers just squeeze the butt cap and pry it off with the pliers. Again don't forget a cloth or something to protect the butt cap.
Good luck.

PQQLK9
05-17-2004, 02:06 PM
You have to wiggle it off. Get a good grip and sort of wiggle and twist.
I once used a small screwdriver coated with WD40 for leverage.
It is difficult to remove but hard to damage the bumper IMHO.

Rod
05-17-2004, 02:59 PM
Do you mean the butt cap or the rubber bumber? If the rubber is not held in with a screw then its just a push fit. After you pull the rubber out then you can screw out the weight bolt. The butt cap should not be removed.

Rod

SpiderMan
05-17-2004, 03:29 PM
I'm just going to echo what Rod said - don't remove the butt cap, just twist out the rubber bumper. It's hard to get ahold of because of the funny shape of the McDermott bumper, but you should be able to work/twist/pry it out. Then you'll see the head of the weight bolt.

SpiderMan

catscradle
05-18-2004, 04:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Do you mean the butt cap or the rubber bumber? If the rubber is not held in with a screw then its just a push fit. After you pull the rubber out then you can screw out the weight bolt. The butt cap should not be removed.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

In my response I obviously assumed he meant the bumper portion and hopes he didn't use water pump pliers on the butt cap portion of the butt sleeve.

catscradle
05-18-2004, 04:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> You have to wiggle it off. Get a good grip and sort of wiggle and twist.
I once used a small screwdriver coated with WD40 for leverage.
It is difficult to remove but hard to damage the bumper IMHO. <hr /></blockquote>
You might want to consider using the water pump plier technique it goes pretty smoothly.

cycopath
05-18-2004, 09:37 AM
What are water pump pliers? I've never heard of 'em.

catscradle
05-18-2004, 10:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> What are water pump pliers? I've never heard of 'em. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm sure you've seen them probably by another name, I've no idea why there called "water pump pliers". They're the kind of pliers that can be slid to have a wider opening like these:
http://www.allproducts.com/manufacture98/jagdambay/product1.html

cycopath
05-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Oh.

Adjustable channel lock pliers.

Or I just call them channel locks.