PDA

View Full Version : Technical question- slimming down a shaft?

anarchist
05-17-2004, 01:44 PM
I went to a local cue repair guy and asked him to slim down my Viking cue shaft from 13mm to 12.5mm. When I received it, the shaft was slimmed down, but the ferrule and tip was not. He said that you cannot decrease the diameter of the ferrule and tip unless I get a new ferrule put on. The whole point of getting the shaft decreased was because I felt the tip was too big. Is this guy right or incompetent? I don't want to redo the whole shaft if I don't have to.

PQQLK9
05-17-2004, 02:10 PM
I had my Cue Man here in Charlotte (Kevin Varney) turn my shaft down from 13 to 12.5 and he did the ferrule and tip also. He did a perfect job by the way.

pooltchr
05-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Nick is correct...I have done several and the tip and ferrule come down to the same size as the shaft. Like you said...what's the point of just doing the shaft??
Steve

Rod
05-17-2004, 03:01 PM
It just makes the ferrule a little thinner. what a mess you have now.

Rod

SpiderMan
05-17-2004, 03:25 PM
You mean he gave you back some sort of hourglass-tapered shaft and expects you to be OK with that?

If that's the case, he blew it. Going down to 12.5mm should not be a problem with the Viking ferrule. It'll be a little thinner, but even if you started out with a new shaft at 12.5mm it would be thinner, as most ferrules use a standard inside diameter of 5/16".

Is the bridge area of the shaft still large enough that if you "finish the job" by taking down the ferrule, you'll have a usable cue? For me, that would mean the bridge area would need to be at least 12.6 or so. If it's already smaller, that guy has ruined your shaft.

SpiderMan

RedHell
05-17-2004, 03:31 PM
That is exactly what I was wondering, did he finnish this hourglass shape or like a nail head shape ?!?!?!?!

In any case, the simple fact that he turned the shaft without turning the ferrule is enough to state that this guy is an idiot !!!

If you ask a shaft to be turned down, its because you want a smaller diameter tip/ferrule. I never heard of a concave tapper !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

anarchist
05-17-2004, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. The ferrule is somewhat sticking out more like a nail shape. The guy (who has been doing this for about 3 years) says the people usually turn down shafts so that it increases the flexibility. Anyways, I'm going to try to get my money back and get it done correctly.

SPetty
05-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Hi anarchist,

I wouldn't mind seeing of picture of this travesty. Do you happen to have a digital camera, or a friend with one, that could take a close-up picture of this shaft and ferrule? I'd be happy to post it for all to see if you've got one...

Troy
05-17-2004, 07:54 PM
Sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I always take the ferrule down along with the shaft diameter when I do a re-taper. The length of the taper is a personal thing and I want a thorough explanation of just what the customer wants prior to taking the job.

At this point I can't tell if the shaft can be salvaged, but it probably can by a competent repair person.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote anarchist:</font><hr> I went to a local cue repair guy and asked him to slim down my Viking cue shaft from 13mm to 12.5mm. When I received it, the shaft was slimmed down, but the ferrule and tip was not. He said that you cannot decrease the diameter of the ferrule and tip unless I get a new ferrule put on. The whole point of getting the shaft decreased was because I felt the tip was too big. Is this guy right or incompetent? I don't want to redo the whole shaft if I don't have to. <hr /></blockquote>

justbrake
05-17-2004, 07:56 PM
I have a question on slimming down a shaft, if you have a shaft that is a little warped can it be slimmed down straight again and if so how much can be done to a real warped one

Cueless Joey
05-17-2004, 08:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> I have a question on slimming down a shaft, if you have a shaft that is a little warped can it be slimmed down straight again and if so how much can be done to a real warped one <hr /></blockquote>
Really warped?
Nothing can be done.

stickman
05-17-2004, 09:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote anarchist:</font><hr> Is this guy right or incompetent? <hr /></blockquote>

I'd have to think he is incompetent. My lathe isn't long enough to retaper shafts, but I change lots of ferrules, and I use the same ferrules for 14mm, 13mm, 12.5mm, and even 12mm shafts. They all are 5/16" inside, either threaded or unthreaded. I did change the ferrule on an old snooker shaft with a 10mm ferrule. I had to build a ferrule. It had a 1/4 inch unthreaded tenon.

Rod
05-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Ever see a step down ferrule?, neither have I. It must look like a 13mm ferrule on a 12.5 shaft before it is trimmed, or? LOl I think the guy is in enough pain. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rod

ted harris
05-19-2004, 12:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote anarchist:</font><hr> I went to a local cue repair guy and asked him to slim down my Viking cue shaft from 13mm to 12.5mm. When I received it, the shaft was slimmed down, but the ferrule and tip was not. He said that you cannot decrease the diameter of the ferrule and tip unless I get a new ferrule put on. <hr /></blockquote>
LOL...

justbrake
05-21-2004, 08:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> I have a question on slimming down a shaft, if you have a shaft that is a little warped can it be slimmed down straight again and if so how much can be done to a real warped one <hr /></blockquote>
Really warped?
Nothing can be done. <hr /></blockquote>

can this be done straight
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=21212&amp;item=3678587 469&amp;rd=1

Troy
05-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Possibly, bit I seriously doubt it will stay that way. After 30+ years, the shaft is extremely "set" in its ways.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr>
can this be done straight
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=21212&amp;item=3678587 469&amp;rd=1 <hr /></blockquote>